Fast Tracker

Radiohead sue Lana del Rey for plagiarising Creep

He's acting a lot like a vampire now, but maybe he's just a time traveling Al Pacino from The Godfather. He dines in Italian restaurants every meal too, getting into character.

did they get a free pass? i mean, they lost, they had to credit the hollies or whatever.   also, the fact that ldr was offering 40% was her admitting she did it, pretty much, right?

or is all this vampire talk some other innuendo?

i dunno, i don't really like new thom as much as old endearing messed-up thom, but you know, who can say how ppl are gonna end up when they go through whatever they go through in their lives?

anyways, not gonna believe the band is behind this until i hear it from one of them rather than publisher's spokespeople.

well a spokesperson from warner said

As Radiohead’s music publisher, it’s true that we’ve been in discussions since August of last year with Lana Del Rey’s representatives. It’s clear that the verses of “Get Free” use musical elements found in the verses of “Creep” and we’ve requested that this be acknowledged in favour of all writers of “Creep.” To set the record straight, no lawsuit has been issued and Radiohead have not said they “will only accept 100%” of the publishing of “Get Free.”

also, the fact that ldr was offering 40% was her admitting she did it, pretty much, right?

Not at all.

I've never heard of anyone who enjoys spending time in court, even defending against a frivolous lawsuit they should be likely to win. Radiohead are very rich and they are very litigious (even five years ago they forced then tween Willow Smith to remove a not-for-profit song from soundcloud that sampled Codex) and any lawsuit they launch, no matter how frivolous, could be dragged out for a long time.

While Lana also has a lot of money by ordinary people's standards, Radiohead's much greater financial resources than Lana and the fact they are lowkey retired and have only limited public performances or recording obligations (while she is a very active artist with many responsibilities), will ultimately make legal proceedings less burdensome on them, which could pressure Lana to settle for more than she should rightly pay: 0%, given minimal similarity in the two works and zero evidence of intended copying.

If a trial occurs it will become a war of attrition whose outcome is unpredictable, and might even swing toward Radiohead if the judge carries the kinds of anti-pop music, sexist biases many judges do. That's why she might concede 40% to get these bullies off her back.

And even if the playing field were even, there are an immense number of sacrifices, ranging from short term financial losses from career distraction, to long term personal losses from unwanted publicity, that go along with any trial. Both parties would seek to avoid going to trial for that reason, and in order to settle, both parties need to concede something. Lana showed a willingness to do that. Radiohead were so up their own ass they wanted everything.

Another thing to consider is that Lana, like many of us, may have had some respect in the past for the name "Radiohead" (even if she didn't listen to them) and if they truly were uncomfortable with the similarities of Get Free in good faith, then she was probably more inclined to make them an offer than she would to some random artist who didn't have an image of being conscientious and making great music. Radiohead then took advantage of LDR's trust, to blindside her with planted tabloid stories and pressure her to accept 100% or else face a punishing trial. But she understands social media better than Radiohead can even understand their own fans.

oh i'll bet she has respect for Radiohead's name.  after all, she's getting an awful lot of attention for this.

also, listening to the tracks up there, of course she heard creep.  gimme a break.

Not at all.

I've never heard of anyone who enjoys spending time in court, even defending against a frivolous lawsuit they should be likely to win. Radiohead are very rich and they are very litigious (even five years ago they forced then tween Willow Smith to remove a not-for-profit song from soundcloud that sampled Codex) and any lawsuit they launch, no matter how frivolous, could be dragged out for a long time.

yeah will smith's daughter is like really poor n stuff

Her wealth is irrelevant to the observation I was making there, about how litigious Radiohead have become. Whether or not Willow is poor and stuff, has nothing to do with the fact it was a freely shared song on a then-entirely-uncommercial platform, and a song with an unobjectionable, life affirming and empowering lyrics of the type one would expect Thom not to mind his own young daughter listening to.

Here's a more recent upload of the song btw. Expect it to get taken down soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yiRHp6XDWo

Her wealth is irrelevant to the observation I was making there, about how litigious Radiohead have become. Whether or not Willow is poor and stuff, has nothing to do with the fact it was a freely shared song on a then-entirely-uncommercial platform, and a song with an unobjectionable, life affirming and empowering lyrics of the type one would expect Thom not to mind his own young daughter listening to.

Here's a more recent upload of the song btw. Expect it to get taken down soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yiRHp6XDWo

well what if you buy the land and pay the taxes on it. you work the fields and grow a garden. but i see how nice it is and stroll in and build a house on it. come and go as i please. eat your carrots and radishes. drink your water. never ask your permission. i just take what's yours and use it to benefit myself.

that seems like an apt comparison to me. even if she wasn't making money off of it, she was still promoting herself as a singer using someone else's creation.

you can do that in your home but you can't distribute it to anyone with an internet connection.

So would you be in favor of a class action copyright infringement lawsuit against Radiohead by the estate of Miles Davis, Can and so many others, including Neil Young- whose biggest hit's melody was also interpolated without permission on the disgustingly awful Prove Yourself, a song with message exactly the opposite of Heart of Gold?

So would you be in favor of a class action copyright infringement lawsuit against Radiohead by the estate of Miles Davis, Can and so many others, including Neil Young- whose biggest hit's melody was also interpolated without permission on the disgustingly awful Prove Yourself, a song with message exactly the opposite of Heart of Gold?

Who even are those guys?

Do some people here happily pay $130 for music they already own, from a band that fails to even ship their products properly or refund unfulfilled orders, simply because they want that physical product? Isn't it more because they believe the band behind the product represents some ideal, more than just money, that they believe in?

Do some people here happily pay $130 for music they already own, from a band that fails to even ship their products properly or refund unfulfilled orders, simply because they want that physical product? Isn't it more because they believe the band behind the product represents some ideal, more than just money, that they believe in?

geez, shut the fuck up already.