Fast Tracker

Radiohead sue Lana del Rey for plagiarising Creep

Honestly, that del Rey song sounds pretty similar. But Radiohead have a few songs that are dangerously similar to songs that came before too, including Creep. And they dont need the money. This seems a bit out of character.

It's probably the label/publishers who pick up on it, run it by the band who say 'whatever sure' then let them go in hard. Though Nigel has said before in an interview that Thom is quick to see stuff as ripping him off that he doesn't really think is warranted. Either way, even if some feel it's reasonable this probably isn't gonna be a good look for them publicly.

Huh, I didn't know that about Thom. The Lana song is definitely similar, but I don't think it's an intentional ripoff and Radiohead are asking for 100% of the royalties which is total bullshit. LDR offered 40% which sounds fair to me.

is it possible that the Hollies legal guys have started this and Radiohead are part of it as co-writers

Yeah I'm not quite sure how it works. Given Radiohead have a percentage of the rights to Creep, they can probably sue for what they see fit and then are obliged to distribute the royalties between themselves and The Hollies/Albert Hammond. The press coverage all suggests it was the band's lawyers doing all this. I really wish they'd just taken 40% or a little more if they must - 100% is disproportionate.

I hope Lana enters the courtroom wielding the lightning-power of Odin to cleanse Radiohead clean and that the matter is rightly crumpled up and thrown into the courtroom trashbin. 

so a band doesn't have a right to protect their music?

what the fuck is wrong with these clueless comments?

"and they don't need the money".   LOL are you fucking 12?

so by that logic, if Radiohead were broke, you'd be ok with this?

it has NOTHING to do with needing the money.

it's business.

it's not right if another artist rips off another artist.  There are consequences.

whether it's radiohead behind this or the publisher or whomever, it is imperative to protect their music.

it blows my mind how judgmental people are being about this without knowing and understanding the business and the legalities of this stuff.

"the beginning of the end"   lol jesus.

bunch of naive, whiny brats.

it's not right if another artist rips off another artist. There are consequences.

Indeed.

[vimeo]

[/vimeo]

"It's like a supply and demand thing. It's like 'Well, this is what they want me to do, this is what they want to hear. So I'll do more of this, cuz this is great... and they love me.' Suddenly people start giving you money as well. So then you've got money and you get used to this lifestyle. And you don't wanna take any risks 'cause they've got you by the balls, and you've got all these little things that you've bought, or you're attached to. And you start spending all this money... And that's how they get ya!"

–The Biggest Lying Mouth of All Time (not the film)

so a band doesn't have a right to protect their music?

what the fuck is wrong with these clueless comments?

"and they don't need the money". LOL are you fucking 12?

so by that logic, if Radiohead were broke, you'd be ok with this?

it has NOTHING to do with needing the money.

it's business.

it's not right if another artist rips off another artist. There are consequences.

whether it's radiohead behind this or the publisher or whomever, it is imperative to protect their music.

it blows my mind how judgmental people are being about this without knowing and understanding the business and the legalities of this stuff.

"the beginning of the end" lol jesus.

bunch of naive, whiny brats.

The general feeling in this thread is that claiming 100% is unnecessarily draconian, not that they can't protect their music or have a percentage.