Sign in to follow this  
(a)

The masterpiece on each album

Also, I would put Nice Dream in the conversation. I don't think it is highest artistic achievement tho. But I would rather see Nice Dream live than any other song on the Bends--with maybe the exception of BPIWIW

its a gray area for sure.  do you pick the "best" because it's your favorite?  probably.  but i was going for picking a song that displays more of a peak of their accomplishment as artists than how i personally experienced the song.  

Also, this is a good metric for the songs I chose

How can any of you baby snowflakes call Bullet Proof the masterpiece of an album that includes songs like Telex, Just, Street Spirit, Fake Plastic Trees- or even iron lung for that matter.

Why are you guys being so ridiculous. This is literally the most depressing thread on this entire board. You can't say Bullet Proof is the bends masterpiece- you just can't.

Are you all so jaded by the greats that you're just trying to be hipster and contrarian? None of you actually believes bullet Proof is the masterpiece of the bends. You are all just taking a piss. Crawl out of your moms asshole and see the light. that song is bottom 5.

Sad!

I wish I was taking the piss. I wish I was Bullet Proof. 

In all seriousness, If we're looking at it in terms of highest artistic achievement on the album and the most suitable representation of the album, than it would have to be Planet Telex for me. 

In all seriousness, If we're looking at it in terms of highest artistic achievement on the album and the most suitable representation of the album, than it would have to be Planet Telex for me. 

I'm not even sure how to measure the difference between highest artistic achievement and best song on the album, but I would say Planet Telex is probably the best song on the album. But I'll still put BP in the conversation of highest artistic achievement. 

i know that an objective assessment of an artist's achievement can be hella subjective.  but we always pick songs that are our favorite.  so i thought it would be interesting to pick from a slightly different viewpoint.  it's obviously possible.  for ex i can listen to airbag a million times, it's pretty much my favorite from okc but i picked paranoid cause that song is brilliant, and represents a monumental evolution for the band.  it might be the obvious choice but that's only because it became so popular. 

The OP specified that the choices should be "highest artistic achievement"--not necessarily best or favorite song. 

exactly. i would say most of the songs i put on my list are not my favorites from those albums.  

Just surprised at the love for bullet proof

i'm not - when this board was just a lil baby board full of cranky toddlers, bulletproof was always one of the best-loved songs of the entire catalog.  of course that was pre IR days.

precisely!

objectively speaking, of course.