Sign in to follow this  
(a)

The masterpiece on each album

Not necessarily my favs, but song I consider to have masterful compositions/mixing.

Blow Out

Bullet Proof...

Lucky

How to Disappear Completely

Pyramid Song

WIEAYB

Reckoner---you heard me

Separator

Decks Dark

Bullet proof?

That's a surprising pick.

I would expect the usual suspects (telex, fake plastic trees, street spirit).

My knee jerk reaction is to say that bullet proof isn't the masterpiece of the bends but its such a tucked away song on the album that maybe I haven't given it a fair shake.

Still a surprising take.

Actually the more I think about it - I can't stand Bullet Proof.

Grow some balls. Flip the bird. Throw in some biting riffs and blow something up.

How the same person wrote the lyrics for "you and whose army" is beyond me.

There's this teenage grunge naiveté that comes across to me in Bullet Proof that I can't take seriously.

Whereas the (apparent) maturation of the speaker illustrated in YAWA? Is succinct, beautiful, and has some crust on its edges.

I don't need to be bullet Proof. Fuck you. I'm coming at you, try and stop me. It just resonates more with me.

Actually the more I think about it - I can't stand Bullet Proof.

Grow some balls. Flip the bird. Throw in some biting riffs and blow something up.

How the same person wrote the lyrics for "you and whose army" is beyond me.

There's this teenage grunge naiveté that comes across to me in Bullet Proof that I can't take seriously.

Whereas the (apparent) maturation of the speaker illustrated in YAWA? Is succinct, beautiful, and has some crust on its edges.

I don't need to be bullet Proof. Fuck you. I'm coming at you, try and stop me. It just resonates more with me.

lol

I mean, maybe you're not wrong about the lyrics--i haven't actually given them much thought--, but it sounds so fucking amazing to me. I think it was a blueprint for better, less-poppy compositions in the future. 

BUT, I challenge you to listen to the song w/o focusing on the lyrics. Tell me that song isn't fucking gorgeous and heartbreaking. 

EDIT: just listened again. FUCKING AMAZING. Love the lyrics. Vulnerable, beautiful, soaring, amazing. If you can't enjoy that song, I pity your shit existence. Also, it is 10000000x a masterpiece. 

Bullet Proof - It's always felt a little.....angsty? Like a less aggressive Creep.

nah, not at all. I mean, the songs are about getting hurt by people and feeling insignificant. But you could say that about a fuck ton of RH songs. Nothing else is similar.

there are multiple "masterpieces" on almost every album.  

i always loved bulletproof, but you're right - "tucked away"

Yeah, BP isn't THE masterpiece. But it certainly is A masterpiece in my eyes.

Def tucked away, just the way I like my masterpieces. 

I'm just glad bullet proof did not portend a things to come for Thom. He became less Morissey (i wish I was bullet proof!!) and more punk rock (this is what you get when you mess with us).

Just really enjoyed the lyrical cynical sarcasm of Kid Amnesiac HTTT years. Selfishly- because Thom was going through shit.

I think that sappy bitch stuff was the incubator of acts like Coldplay and....I don't know. What do kids listen to these days - John Mayer.

If you can't enjoy that song, I pity your shit existence.

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get.

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get.

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0MYQs7JF6cQ0xF7O/giphy.gif

I'm just glad bullet proof did not portend a things to come for Thom. He became less Morissey (i wish I was bullet proof!!) and more punk rock (this is what you get when you mess with us).

Just really enjoyed the lyrical cynical sarcasm of Kid Amnesiac HTTT years. Selfishly- because Thom was going through shit.

I think that sappy bitch stuff was the incubator of acts like Coldplay and....I don't know. What do kids listen to these days - John Mayer.

Later RH is much better in my opinion too.

But I couldn't choose a song from those albums for the Bends masterpiece track, now could I?

And you can't shit on a song or album because the wrong people tried to copy it later on. 

This was an important step in Thom's journey as an artist. Thank god he keeps progressing, but let's be respectful to early RH for what it was and what it meant came next. 

Later RH is much better in my opinion too.

But I couldn't choose a song from those albums for the Bends masterpiece track, now could I?

And you can't shit on a song or album because the wrong people tried to copy it later on.

This was an important step in Thom's journey as an artist. Thank god he keeps progressing, but let's be respectful to early RH for what it was and what it meant came next.

All fair points, makes perfect sense.

I enjoy these games. 

Lurgee

Bullet Proof (is the best song on The Bends, especially the vocal harmony in the last minute of the song) 

Let Down

Idioteque

Pyramid Song (objectively) 

There, There 

Weird Fishes 

Bloom

Daydreaming

How can any of you baby snowflakes call Bullet Proof the masterpiece of an album that includes songs like Telex, Just, Street Spirit, Fake Plastic Trees- or even iron lung for that matter.

Why are you guys being so ridiculous. This is literally the most depressing thread on this entire board. You can't say Bullet Proof is the bends masterpiece- you just can't.

Are you all so jaded by the greats that you're just trying to be hipster and contrarian? None of you actually believes bullet Proof is the masterpiece of the bends. You are all just taking a piss. Crawl out of your moms asshole and see the light. that song is bottom 5.

Sad!

donald-trump.jpg

The OP specified that the choices should be "highest artistic achievement"--not necessarily best or favorite song. That's how I interpret it. And I think Bullet Proof fits that bill just as much as SS or Telex, even though I personally like SS and Telex better.

Anyway, I can agree that Bullet Proof isn't the best song on the album. I would say you are over-hyping Just and FPT, tho. 

Also, I'm sure you see the contradiction in your contrarian/snowflake comments.