Sign in to follow this  
mooks

the black ram

i heard this album a few weeks ago and i feel confident saying now it's the best thing molina did under the MEC moniker and it's almost the best thing he ever did full stop. never heard anything like it, it calls the next decade or american alt country and does it with a hell of a lot more earnestness/tastefulness. it's huge and lush and stark and beautiful, it's all the best parts of the songs ohio days with the confidence and aptitude of the MEC band. secretly canadian fucked up not giving this a signature release but whatever i have it now

if you like jason molina hear this record. and the first sojouner record is good too while you're at it

this song is a good example of what this guy was capable of:

I think the combination of instruments/lyrics in the climax of this song is something molina is extremely good at, and something he did throughout his career in fits and starts: black crow, love leaves it abuser, etc.  i think it's at his best here.

i wanna read that book really bad but it's $35 and even the kindle is $17 lol?  its the only thing i put on my xmas list with my parents/siblings to get this year, but i cant bring myself to fork out that much cash esp cuz im convinced in one year it will cost a fraction of that.

havent listen to sojourner in a long time. i should really revisit most of the MEC stuff. the only one i listen to with a lot of regularity is Trials and Errors, i love that record so much

this is/was me for a long time, before i dove into sojouner. i thought trials and errors was great and all i really needed, id occasionally spin josephine too but i wasnt in love with that record.  

tmonk did you teread the book about him?

yeah I really loved it, there were some parts from like writing perspective that were kinda rough around the edges which I feel mean even mentioning cause I think it's super cool that someone wrote a book about him and obviously billions of times better than what I could do, JUST SAYING

one thing I thought was really interesting was that he had a band he played with a lot but kept going off on his own and recording albums without telling the band, but then when he finally recorded an album with them it was magnolia electric company.  also I though Sojourner was an odds and ends kind of release, but I guess they just did it because he was writing and recording so much around that time and they didnt want multiple releases to cannibalize each other.  end of the book was mostly about his alcoholism which I was very moved by.  for some reason I was under the impression that he stopped drinking in the last year or so, but I guess he was doing it right until the end.

I also think trials and errors is top of the top.  lately I have been listening to the lioness a lot, especially first half up through and including title track.  the organ is really damn cool on some of those

this is/was me for a long time, before i dove into sojouner. i thought trials and errors was great and all i really needed, id occasionally spin josephine too but i wasnt in love with that record.  

ok ill get into it. i think now is a better time than when sojourner came out. i mean i thought it was good, but that was like his most prolific and thus underrated period. i was pretty guided by critics at that time still, so i found it possible to kinda ignore what he was doing,e ven though i still bought all his records.

look at the pfork scores for every MEC record, sad!!