violetmav

Happy 10th Birthday, In Rainbows!

From around IR times...

Ah memories!

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/17/55/50/4119068/9/rawImage.jpg

Hunter-S-Thompson.jpg

Thom Becomes Thompson

Speaking of drugs, In Rainbows has always seemed to be a stoner album - personified even more when Radiohead included the acid paper in the box set. Or was that TKOL?

For all the drug enthusiasts out there - what is the perferred Radiohead album to listen to while UI. Am straight edge so can't comment. Although my rabbi says cannabis is now kosher. So maybe someday.

Acid tabs was TKOL, coz it was the midlife crisis album

I thought AMOK was the midlife crisis album?

Oh man. Remember when people were talking about how A Moon Shaped Pool was about Thoms meth addiction?

...or was that just another ShortPants account?

Awhile back a redditor posed the "What if each album were a drug" question...

Apparently the correct answer is:

PH --> cheap whisky (feels good & warm but leaves you feeling empty when it's gone)

TB --> craft beer (goes down easy, but it hits you quicker than anticipated)

OKC --> mushrooms (most people's first experience into the next level)

KA --> LSD (further down the rabbit hole)

A --> DMT(a short, but wild trip that takes lots of crazy turns)

HTTT --> ecstasy (a nice long trip of warm sounds and emotions that becomes depressing towards the end of the trip)

IR --> marijuana (a chill buzz that most people are open to experiencing)

TKoL --> cocaine (a burst of relentlessness with an inevitable crash)

AMSP --> red wine (goes down easy and warm, but you'll soon be drunk-texting your ex with sadness and regret)

Not really sure about TKoL or AMSP...I think crystal meth might better fit TKoL myself...

But I, too, am straight-edge and don't do drugs...So I need to rely on the experiences of others.

Anyone care to add their opinion?

HTTT is bath salts. Saying it's ecstasy is not fair to ecstasy.

Said it earlier - HTTT is genuinely the most terrifying album Radiohead have ever made. It is extremely biting and dripping in real world events of the time that (at the time) seemed horribly hopeless. I felt like I was listening to a journalist reporting the news. There is literally not one minute on that entire long drawn out album of a silver lining. Even Kid A had Motion Picture Soundtrack.

Bath salts.

Ps. Maybe HTTT has lost a bit of its bite since we are now nearly 15 years removed from that day and age - but when I heard the album, living in that time and space - it was scary. Like bath salts.

Hmmm...Were bath salts around in 2003?

HTTT was as scary as some guy coming to gnaw off your face???

That IS pretty scary...

But now we have Trump...so *full body shudders*

Hmmm...Were bath salts around in 2003?

HTTT was as scary as some guy coming to gnaw off your face???

That IS pretty scary...

But now we have Trump...so *full body shudders*

Trump sucks. I get it. He is awful especially in rhetoric. But Gitmo and Patriot Act and Operation Iraqi Freedom and Cheney's swarmy smirks and Bushs ineptitude and Powell out and out lying to the UN - all of it seemed (and seems) worse than 2017. I haven't even mentioned 9/11 and all the uncertainty (understatement) that created.

2017 is a circus. At least we have been entertained.

But nothing's come close to the bank crisis, the housing crisis, and the outright evil of those 8-10 years that kicked off the 21st century.

Has the light gone out for you, because the light's gone out for me...

It is the 21st Century...It is the 21st Century...

B)

Regardless of HTTT's drug identity...I think pot is a good choice for IR...

Many have said IR is a gateway Radiohead album...

So there is that. :smoke_coo

To listen to while UI???

Depends on what kind of high I want or what kind of weed I'm smoking.

I think my go-to is usually Kid Amnesiac. Anything from those sessions has so many layers, musical and emotional, for me. 

To be completely honest, RH is just a great band to listen to while high. 

Not really a drunk band for me. I do like drinking a little wine and listening to them, I guess. anyhoozel. 

Trump sucks. I get it. He is awful especially in rhetoric. But Gitmo and Patriot Act and Operation Iraqi Freedom and Cheney's swarmy smirks and Bushs ineptitude and Powell out and out lying to the UN - all of it seemed (and seems) worse than 2017. I haven't even mentioned 9/11 and all the uncertainty (understatement) that created.

But nothing's come close to the bank crisis, the housing crisis, and the outright evil of those 8-10 years that kicked off the 21st century.

We aren't even done with year one, so Bush/Cheney are still worse. But I would wager that this Trump experiment is going to go down as one of the most fucked up things our country has gone through in modern times, when it's all said and done. 

i don't know man, i'd take ol' Dubya right now over this egomaniacal demagogue.

Trump is mentally unstable.  Like, for real.

And i hated Dubya back in the day.  

Trump though is a whole other monster.  

Fuck, even Bush is speaking out against him.

i don't know man, i'd take ol' Dubya right now over this egomaniacal demagogue.

Trump is mentally unstable. Like, for real.

And i hated Dubya back in the day.

Trump though is a whole other monster.

Fuck, even Bush is speaking out against him.

You forget so easy....

https://youtu.be/22HhTyKrEcs

My completely uneducated opinion - Bush is the part in history books that read "events that lead to....".

So you're saying Bush is the egg while Trump is the chicken sprung from his loins?

Interesting... <_<

By the way, I love how even a celebration of IR can be infiltrated by politics...wasn't HTTT the political album??

I guess in this administration...nothing is sacred.

You forget so easy....

My completely uneducated opinion - Bush is the part in history books that read "events that lead to....".

lol i still love that video.   Haven't seen it in a while.

Anyway- no doubt Bush was guilty of demagoguery as well, not to mention started a war based on a lie.

Which resulted in the deaths of potentially a million people, most of them innocent. 

Those were scary times, "you're with us or against us", real 1984 type shit, very surreal to go through it, i was in my early 20.

Bush is a war criminal and his administration was very nefarious and sinister post 9/11.

That said, he never attacked the press, freedom of the press, freedom of speech, he didn't defend white supremacists, he wasn't a sexual predator, didn't collude with a foreign government to get elected.... etc.

lol fuck what a bizarre world to live in where i'm almost defending Bush.

Trump is reckless.  He says whatever he wants.  He's dangerous.   He's an illegitimate president.

He's unpresidential.  He lies daily.   He's mentally unstable, a "malignant narcissist" as many of the countries psychiatrists have referred to him.

Bush at least had the temperament. He didn't say insane things like Trump.

Trump cannot and doesn't tolerate criticism. 

Bush took it like any other president.

Bush acted presidential.

I don't know man...........Trump takes money from foreign governments, you got mar-a-lago, you've got dossiers, i mean the list is quite long.

For the first time  in a long time people are talking about the 25th Amendment and implementing it because of Trump's behavior.

This is a man who most likely won't even finish his first term.

Bush/Blair gave Thom so much inspiration to write albums like HTTT, The Eraser (which bore AMOK), and In Rainbows that purely using this anecdotal evidence I am saying the Bush years were far worse. :)

Trump is a shit storm, but I personally do not feel a threat from him. He's so far off the plantation that GOP are jumping ship and as you pointed out it's only been 6 months.

There was a serious threat I felt from the Bush years. They were just crazy and evil enough to actually follow through on horrendous acts of violence and yet sound enough to get even more horrendous acts of legislation passed.

And Bush did not win the election in 2000. But I don't feel like being Michael Moore right now. So.

The bleakness of HTTT was like (and is) insane. I am really sold on that album being the most pessimistic of the bands disco.

It's actually been 9 months...but it feels like 4 years...

Trump is definitely threatening...look at the executive orders he has signed (the travel ban being the tip of the iceberg)...Plus!!

Leaving the Paris Climate accord...Undoing all of Obama's legislation...the white supremacy...lying every second of everyday...Russia...the misogyny...the egotism...the revolving Cabinet and WH staff door...Etc. Etc.

I am afraid to ask 'What next?' because I am afraid someone will say, 'Trump launched nuclear weapons at North Korea because Kim Jong Un said his hair looks like a bad toupee...'

Really scary... :o :o :o

Trump is potentially far more dangerous.

He's vindictive and hateful, petty, impulsive, thin-skinned, a compulsive liar, suffers from malignant narcissism, colluded with a foreign government to get elected...

...he's having a pissing match with the dictator in North Korea, i mean.........the list goes on.

Our democracy is threatened by him. 

The Bush administration didn't become nefarious and scary until after 9/11.

Before 9/11 he was just a dumbshit over-privileged cowboy who stole the election.

Trump is this way NOW, it's who he his.

And nothing has even happened to trigger him to be this way.