violetmav

Happy 10th Birthday, In Rainbows!

the bridge in Bodysnatchers when the line "has the light gone out for you?" begins is magic.

always gives me chills.

that whole section is special.

Videotape is a good song but it's a bit too restrained compared to the rest of the album.

People shitting on Faust Arp is perplexing to me though.

yeah the "original" 2006 version that everyone wets their pants over is good.......i can see the appeal:  it's big, anthemic, lots of guitars.

It's also kind of Coldplay-ish.

I like it, it's hard to resist.

but that was just them working out the song.   It's not the "original" version.

It's an early iteration.

When they recorded it, they threw everything at the wall for it.  And it wasn't until Nigel and i think Jonny took everything out and made it super minimal that they realized that THAT was how it should sound.

Anyway, i agree with the above post, FTB version is probably my favorite, that subtle thing Ed does at the end is gorgeous and so fitting.

I do love the weird syncopated drums in the IR version though.

people listing bodysnatchers over videotape are insane

I would have listed videotape ahead of BS all the way up until about 2 years ago. For some reason BS just clicked with me live, especially that bridge. So much energy live.

Videotape is wonderful--I used to have it in my top 10 RH songs period. But it has really dwindled for me lately. I think it is just kind a phase I am in. I haven't been into slower RH songs lately, whereas they were my fav a few years ago.

yeah the "original" 2006 version that everyone wets their pants over is good.......i can see the appeal:  it's big, anthemic, lots of guitars.

It's also kind of Coldplay-ish.

I like it, it's hard to resist.

but that was just them working out the song.   It's not the "original" version.

It's an early iteration.

When they recorded it, they threw everything at the wall for it.  And it wasn't until Nigel and i think Jonny took everything out and made it super minimal that they realized that THAT was how it should sound.

Anyway, i agree with the above post, FTB version is probably my favorite, that subtle thing Ed does at the end is gorgeous and so fitting.

I do love the weird syncopated drums in the IR version though.

this.

i think the way videotape closes out an album where virtually every other song has a linear structure and a climax with a claustrophobic anticlimax is one of the coolest things radiohead have ever done

i think the way videotape closes out an album where virtually every other song has a linear structure and a climax with a claustrophobic anticlimax is one of the coolest things radiohead have ever done

fair point.

i think the listener gets used to the amazing melodies and climaxes throughout IR and then all of a sudden the album closes with this minimalist introspective piece.

it can be confounding to some.

i felt that way about House Of Cards.......after the majesty of Reckoner and then they follow it up with that?  But now i appreciate it and like it.

For me i just can't get into Jigsaw.

I liked it better with electric guitars, the album version is too mild and it's too similar to Bodysnatchers and i think Bodysnatchers destroys it.

I think there shouldn't have been two similar sounding songs.

Either way, IR is top 3 best radiohead albums for me.

people listing bodysnatchers over videotape are insane

If it makes you feel any better I went back and forth on my order for those two. In Rainbows is my fav album ever and I love every song on it, I just love the rest a little more than those two.

IR is a weird album for me, because while I think the whole thing is great and love all the songs on it, it’s an album where the sum of the parts is greater than the whole. Not that the songs are bad or not put together or produced well, but I somehow enjoy listening to them more by just focusing on the bassline or small moments throughout the song.

This has been my favorite album pretty much since it came out and I imagine it always will be, although I’d love to be wrong about that

15 Step - 10

Bodysnatchers - 10

Nude - 10

Arpeggi - 10

All I Need - 9

Faust Arp - 8

Reckoner - 100

House of Cards - 9

Jigsaw - 9

Videotape - 9

Can’t really rank best to worst aside from that as any of the equally ranked songs are my favorite in that tier when I’m listening to them

It's a special album for sure.

IR Disk 2 is also excellent.

I remember Thom saying he had a hard time dealing with the fact that Down Is the New UP didn't make the cut for Disk 1.

He felt it was one of the best things they'd ever done.

It's top 10 radiohead for me personally.

Disk 2 is almost like the "Amnesiac" version of Disk 1.

think i prefer the studio version

live one, thom understandably seems to have a tough time catching his breath while drumming which kinda shows in the audio

Amazing...

LOVE this version.

First time i saw it back after IR came out i just about lost my shit.

Especially his facial expression when he says "you're so last week".

so happy it was a b-side on one of the IR singles.

I wish studio bangers and mash were better though. From the basement version is one of my top 5 non-album songs

really?

see, i prefer the studio version over anything else i've heard.

such a raunchy, raw fucking song.

wish they did more like it.