violetmav

Happy 10th Birthday, In Rainbows!

Also, IR is a magnificent record. It spent a long time in the number one spot for me. It hasn't aged like I thought it would, but it is still top 3-4. What a lovely statement the band made. I also have really fond memories of the concerts during this tour. The band seemed so happy and they were still putting 1-2 surprises in every show--covers, b-sides, unreleased songs, etc.

IR hasn't aged for me either...In fact I appreciate it more now than I did then. For me, it remains my second favorite Radiohead album behind Kid A... It is a masterpiece.

im always surprised when people say in rainbows is their favourite radiohead album. its really good and has a lot of BIG CHOONS but to me it doesnt stand out as much as most of their others, like httt/okc/kid a for example

stayed off school for in rainbows

which just goes to show that they are, in fact, a kids band

ha yeah, i remember only having time to listen to the first three songs before going to school

IR hasn't aged for me either...In fact I appreciate it more now than I did then. For me, it remains my second favorite Radiohead album behind Kid A... It is a masterpiece.

I meant it hasn't aged well...it is less appealing now than before. But it is so good, even though it hasn't aged well, that it has dropped from #1 to 3-4 on my personal list. But I still do love it

im always surprised when people say in rainbows is their favourite radiohead album. its really good and has a lot of BIG CHOONS but to me it doesnt stand out as much as most of their others, like httt/okc/kid a for example

IR looks more and more like this to me. Great album, but it doesn't have that edge that OKC-KID Amnesiac had for me.

that said- people are also too easily offended these days.

it creates an unhealthy and dysfunctional culture in my opinion.

Louis CK, Seinfeld, Chris Rock, etc.........a lot of great comedians don't play college campuses anymore for this reason.

people feel entitled to never being offended.

that's not how reality works.

I get your point, and I think there is a lot of truth to what those comedians have been saying in their acts and in interviews about PC culture. I have been reading a lot of Sam Harris lately, and I really like his stance on free speech--he absolutely defends anyone's right to it. 

But for me that doesn't mean that I don't have a responsibility to recognize a few things--time, place, context, audience, that other's have experiences I could never understand, etc. 

Yes, we should all have the right to say what we want, but we should also be respectful, open, and empathetic.

I am especially attune to issues of free speech and gender relations. I think a lot of men do not understand the implicit, if not explicit, power and privilege they hold in most situations. I think in this particular situation the board felt like a bit of a boys club for a minute, something most men wouldn't recognize or would brush off as locker room talk or "stop being a snowflake" territory. But what those situations can be like for some are highly oppressive triggers. And that must be especially defeating in a place that is supposed to be full of friends and like-minded people. 

So, I'm not saying anyone has to stop saying what they want or that it shouldn't be your right or whatever. But when I find myself inadvertently putting my foot in my mouth, especially over something that could be really painful for some--triggers of rape/harassment/under-privilege/etc--I stop and ask if it is really that important for me to say in that specific situation---is it worth hurting someone in ways that I can't understand?

Also, I spent a great deal of my life thinking that stand up comedians were essentially prophets of truth. What I realize now is that they have an inherent need to twist and bend their stories on stage to make people laugh. There is def some truth in what they say, and I still love stand up, but I take what they say with a grain of salt, understanding their medium and that medium's constraints. Plus, all the examples you gave of comedians upset about PC culture are men. Food for though.

To add to your comments Scrumch...

Apparently Louis CK (who I have seen live and consider my favorite comedian) has been accused of sexual harassment...So using him as a measuring stick for those rallying against the PC police is probably not a good thing...

Just saying...

Apparently Louis CK (who I have seen live and consider my favorite comedian) has been accused of sexual harassment...So using him as a measuring stick for those rallying against the PC police is probably not a good thing...

Just saying...

Yeah, I was sooooooo bummed. I have seen him live and considered him my fav comedian for a time. I bought the Horace and Pete episodes as they came out. Basically, I loved him--and even listened when he talked about PC Police or whatever. But these most recent allegations are so upsetting. From everything I read, it does seem like he has a legit problem, though (not that other sexual predators don't. But this seemed like such a bizarre sexual exploit compared to your typical abuser). Like, he said to a few of his victims that he was so sorry, he had a big problem, turned red, etc. That doesn't excuse any of this by any stretch of the imagination. But his sexual problems seem to go beyond male entitlement. 

Just saying...

so accusation means guilty?

what happened to innocent till proven guilty?

we live in a society in which accusation is all that matters and it's fucked up.

whether or not an accusation is true doesn't matter anymore.

and Louis CK is just one of a few comedians i mentioned so he's not necessarily a "measuring stick".

and even if Louis CK harassed someone, the point remains true-  comedians are staying away from campuses because of the ultra-pc culture.

Reality works as a rather complex negotiated experience between a multitude of different people with different beliefs, cultural and normative frameworks, etc, who have to find ways to co-exist. Roughly 50% of these people either have, or will have, breasts in their lifetime, and possibly don't appreciate having to exist in a reality where grown adult men walk around exclaiming 'boobies are hawt, huck huck huck!'

and no one in this thread has behaved that way.

go back and read what started this whole stupid debacle.

people got uptight pretty fast.

also- there's nothing wrong with thinking breasts are sexy or hot or whatever.

no one here is harassing anyone.

Helter Skelter made a funny post about them that i think there is truth to.

i quoted it and replied "truth".

and that was it.

if that was enough to offend people- your lives must be pretty fucking difficult.

no one was demeaned or harassed.

again- some people here need to relax.

we live in a society in which accusation is all that matters and it's fucked up.

and Louis CK is just one of a few comedians i mentioned so he's not necessarily a "measuring stick".

and even if Louis CK harassed someone, the point remains true-  comedians are staying away from campuses because of the ultra-pc culture.

Not saying anything about him being guilty... Chill out, Dude...

However, these ALLEGATIONS are definitely not a good thing.

and no one in this thread has behaved that way.

go back and read what started this whole stupid debacle.

people got uptight pretty fast.

also- there's nothing wrong with thinking breasts are sexy or hot or whatever.

no one here is harassing anyone.

Helter Skelter made a funny post about them that i think there is truth to.

i quoted it and replied "truth".

and that was it.

if that was enough to offend people- your lives must be pretty fucking difficult.

no one was demeaned or harassed.

again- some people here need to relax.

I think you are missing the point.

What you don't think is a big deal may be very hurtful or even just annoying to others.

And you don't have to go around constantly worried about who is offended or not. But when someone tells you they are offended or annoyed or whatever by something you said, especially in a open forum with people from all over the world who have so many perspectives and experiences, why is it upsetting to you? You don't even have to reply, if you are so inclined. But a simple apology or correction of behavior seems pretty civil. If you accidentally offended someone in person, would you turn it back on them and play the victim, or would you attempt to understand them and see what their point or perspective is? Would you tell them to their face that the experiences they have had that led them to being offended are not valid, that they are in fact the ones who have a problem, not you? I doubt it. Most of us would at least listen. 

I think you are missing the point.

What you don't think is a big deal may be very hurtful or even just annoying to others.

And you don't have to go around constantly worried about who is offended or not. But when someone tells you they are offended or annoyed or whatever by something you said, especially in a open forum with people from all over the world who have so many perspectives and experiences, why is it upsetting to you? You don't even have to reply, if you are so inclined. But a simple apology or correction of behavior seems pretty civil. If you accidentally offended someone in person, would you turn it back on them and play the victim, or would you attempt to understand them and see what their point or perspective is? Would you tell them to their face that the experiences they have had that led them to being offended are not valid, that they are in fact the ones who have a problem, not you? I doubt it. Most of us would at least listen. 

sure, that's all fair and true.

but in this case..........i'm pretty sure no one was offended.

annoyed?

maybe.

some people here annoy me all the time.

snow, bleesh.........those guys are annoying.

but it's ok because, well, i except it and it's not a big deal.    

that's life.

people are annoying.

no one is entitled to be spared from annoyance.

again- go back and read what started all of this.

it was said by someone else who isn't even participating in this thread anymore.

i thought what he said was funny and true and quoted it and replied with "truth".

the fact that it's turned into this therapy session about hurt feelings is absurd.

5 women came out against CK, all with similar stories. The stories have been confirmed by Cox and Arquette. Regardless if they're just accusations at this point, it's pretty much guaranteed that he's guilty af. Just because it hasn't gone through the court system, doesn't mean he's not guilty.