Scrumch

Revisiting TKoL after AMSP

17 members have voted

1. 1. Has TKoL Changed for you since AMSP's release?

• Yes, for better
    • Yes, for worse
    • No, Same Shit Different Day

I know it's been said on this forum many times before, but TKOL works so much better live (which isn't changed by listening to AMSP so I'm technically dodging the question). It's really interesting that when I saw them in April the highlights of the show were all the TKOL and HTTT tracks.

To actually answer the question, no.

I initially felt very underwhelmed with the record -

but once the associated bsides were released I felt like the album as a whole would have felt so much stronger if they (the bsides) were included.

That said - I felt much better about TKOL once they toured and released those bsides.

I wouldn't say AMSP gave me a greater appreciation of TKOL - but TKOL live gave me a better appreciation for TKOL.

The albums themselves feel secular and unconnected. I really dislike ranking albums or comparing them in this type of way. Unless I'm like really disappointed ina RH album - then I might say "gosh thankfully they don't sound like that last album anymore".

But that's yet to happen. Aside from PH, but come on.

TKOL was always a challenging album but I think it was hurt by ''expectations'' more than anything else. A lot of people including myself were expecting In Rainbows 2, maybe not literally but something that built on what they did on that record rather than the sharp left turn they took. Very reminiscent of Kid A coming off OK Computer but comparing those two is never fair.

I won't say AMSP changed it for the better, I was always intrigued by the record on the first listen and never disliked it but it did challenge my expectations greatly and I knew it would have taken time to grow on me and that it certainly did. I was a bit underwhelmed by its length and the style of the songs were very new to me. Today I hear it with much different ears than I did back then, it no longer feels like a challenge or a chore but when I put on the record I feel like I immediately dissolve into the music. And now that the hype and expectations for it has died down I have a greater appreciation for it as a record.

I was never in the camp of ''make the album longer by putting in the b-sides or basement singles''. I always trusted there was a reason they weren't included and that was the album. The Supercollider/The Butcher EP is a great after playlist if you wanna give it a spin after the album, so anyone can include it if they wish. I thought the band did it that way to give us the option ''make it sprawling or make it short and sweet''.

If anything it's kinda the other way around for me. Because of TKOL I was slightly underwhelmed by AMSP. I loved all the songs on AMSP instantly. They're all lovely, some quite brilliant, I don't dislike a single one of them. But it didn't challenge me the way TKOL did and I was a bit let down by that.

lol very bad album?   that's a bit hyperbolic.

it was an experiment- like most of their albums.

they had a concept that consisted of writing songs based around this program that Jonny wrote.

loops, fragments put together like a sonic collage. And, in my opinion, it worked, especially considering the imagery and themes of nature etc.

i suppose it is "small" in scope compared to their other albums but it's still good.

Radiohead have yet to make a "bad" album.  Frankly i don't think it's possible they'd make one.

And that's not fanboy nonsense...........they're just perfectionists and way too proficient in their craft.

If The Butcher and Staircase had been included on the album, there almost certainly wouldn't have been the backlash.

That said, neither of those songs really fit on the album so it was a good choice.

AMSP really put TKoL into perspective for me. I was so butt hurt by the lack of songs and short album at first that I basically refused to give TKoL a chance. I liked the album a lot immediately, but when I realized we probably weren't getting a follow up album type thing, I was so disappointed. I thought the album felt like a demo or sketch that they needed a few more years to perfect. RH rarely put things out that feel unfinished, so I couldn't believe it.

But after AMSP, I was so appreciative that RH still dared to experiment and try new things with TKoL. Imagine if they put album after album out that were more inline with traditional albums, like IR and AMSP. By traditional albums, I mean length, less electronic influence, and generally easier to "get" or appreciate. I feel about TKoL now the same way I feel about The Eraser--such a necessary interlude for at least Thom in order to iron out some of those ideas in his head before settling on the next record.

And TKoL isn't simply a fun side project for the band either. I think it is quite cohesive, with two distinct sides and a killer vibe throughout. About half the songs are really fucking great, and most all of them opened up even more after seeing them live. 

That being said, I would still put TKoL pretty low on my albums ranking, but I am so glad it exists and helped lead RH to where they are now. It also makes me even more excited for the next era of tunes. In my eyes, RH could still really surprise us--TKoL showed me that. They haven't turned into U2, Muse, Coldplay or any of those bands that seem to lack diversity in their catalogues. 

I mean, you can't really debate taste/preference. But if there is any universally objective way to measure music, I'd have to say your in for an uphill battle. to each their own

Most of OKC feels dated. I have to be in a certain mindset to sit through that album. There are moments in the record that are downright boring or feel like retreads (if not slight improvements) on an entire generation of alt rock music.

and Paranoid Anadroid is supremely overrated.

Albums like Kid A/Amensiac are more interesting.

I enjoy 21st century Thoms style of writing much more when compared to OKC ( which might be ironic because it was born out of writers block).

I think the band have much more depth and ingenuity, and overall they appear to be in a better head space than in 97 and it shows in their www.work.com

There are things that RH AMSP can do (with seamlessly beautiful perfection) that the guys couldn't even phantom in the 90s.

OKC is not the penultimate - it was the beginning of decades worth of improvements and musical prowess.

It's RHs Rubber Soul, not Abbey Road.

puffin.jpg

Most of OKC feels dated. I have to be in a certain mindset to sit through that album. There are moments in the record that are downright boring or feel like retreads (if not slight improvements) on an entire generation of alt rock music.

and Paranoid Anadroid is supremely overrated.

Albums like Kid A/Amensiac are more interesting.

I enjoy 21st century Thoms style of writing much more when compared to OKC ( which might be ironic because it was born out of writers block).

I think the band have much more depth and ingenuity, and overall they appear to be in a better head space than in 97 and it shows in their www.work.com

There are things that RH AMSP can do (with seamlessly beautiful perfection) that the guys couldn't even phantom in the 90s.

OKC is not the penultimate - it was the beginning of decades worth of improvements and musical prowess.

It's RHs Rubber Soul, not Abbey Road.

puffin.jpg

First--Rubber Soul>Abbey Road--but not by much

Second--OKC totally and completely stands the test of time for me. I have been blown away as of late as to how amazing it is/was. I think Kid A is a better record for several reasons, but I can't imagine RH will ever make a record that makes me feel the way OKC makes me feel. Nothing stale about it to me. PA is overrated, but that's not the song's fault. 

Third--I also enjoy 21st century Thom more and think that his writing and musicianship is only getting better. But as a whole album and considering the context of the 90s, OKC is soooooooo much more than retreads of alt rock. It was the reinvention/sea change of crap ass rock that was made by bands trying to rip off Nirvana. They decimated the final breathes of grunge (thank god bc it was going so down hill). None of the band's albums after OKC/Kid Amnesiac have been as important to music in general. 

Fourth--I love IR--TKoL--AMSP. Not trying to talk shit on those albums in anyway.