Roger Waters Accuses Radiohead of Supporting Israeli Government

CarRots

what exactly makes this a private matter

Roger approached Thom via email about generating a dialogue on this Israel show.

On the face of it - that would be exactly the way to start.

You have two high profile guys who are notoriously private people - who seem to have a disagreement on an extremely contentious situation.

In the interest of making headway (read get Radiohead to cancel)- Roger approached it with a level of maturity and honesty by keeping it private.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ now again that statement goes out the door if Rogers initial email was really as threatening and off putting as Thom seems to feel it was.

If you want to generate a dialogue you certainly don't start it by threatening or being a general dick.

If roger really was just like "hey, man - this isn't a good idea. I think it supports israels aggression towards a group of people, etc etc" than yeah Thom is a huge bitch and this whole thing is ridiculous.

personally I think politics is fundamentally a public discourse, but even putting that aside, it looks like he tried engaging privately and then put it out when this private convo was clearly not happening?

if so don't see the issue

I agree with that.

But with the caveat that rogers wasn't condescending or threatening or whatever seems to have rubbed Thom the wrong way - in the first email.

Living with the knowledge that he will always be second fiddle to David has given Rog a complex too. Lashing out at Thom in such a public manner is latent insecurity of his silver medal.

If he really wanted to get the message across to Thom he would have continued to try and approach him in private - even if he didn't initially respond to some email.

Also do we know the details of the first email that apparently miffed Thom? Roger seems to not have shared that. I guess i could concede if Rodger was putting on an diplomatic front in the intimate email - than Thom is being a bit of bitch.

But I have doubts and think roger was being roger.

Yeah but as far as overall bodies of work go--waters>Gilmour. Everything Floyd did post Waters was just a bad if not worse than Waters' post floyd stuff. And the Floyd stuff with Roger is epic. So is the Syd era stuff. Gilmour can't lead a band.

Not that this discredits the rest of your post. 

Yeah but as far as overall bodies of work go--waters>Gilmour. Everything Floyd did post Waters was just a bad if not worse than Waters' post floyd stuff. And the Floyd stuff with Roger is epic. So is the Syd era stuff. Gilmour can't lead a band.

I really like solo Gilmour work, idk. On an Island is dope.

Roger Waters can't handle people telling him to go fuck himself, never could.

I think he is being a bitch, Thoms probably being a bitch. It's cringey diva stuff and it's taking more news coverage than the actual problem going on.

If their little squabble was somehow raising people's awareness of the humanitarian rape going on - I'd be apt to appreciate it, but instead it's sort of in the background.

The irony being it's two old white brits.

hahaha

Yeah, but I do think Waters is correct---maybe he isn't going about things the "right" way, but his argument seems sound.

Thom and Jonny love Israeli for personal reasons, I think. I don't think they are really being bitches about it. I just think they are finding themselves in the grasps of cognitive dissonance. 

hmmm alot of people really like a momentary lapse of reason actually and its hits are still being played on the radio to this day, also the band has actually played most of that album and division bell at their concerts whereas waters has relied mostly on gimmicks to repromote the wall to match his former bandmates large arena ticket sales for the last 20-25 years

hmmm alot of people really like a momentary lapse of reason actually and its hits are still being played on the radio to this day, also the band has actually played most of that album and division bell at their concerts whereas waters has relied mostly on gimmicks to repromote the wall to match his former bandmates large arena ticket sales for the last 20-25 years

i liked that album when it came out too but then one day i realized that the lyrics to learning to fly were one 'hackneyed cliche' after another:

Into the distance a ribbon of black

Stretched to the point of no turning back

A flight of fancy on a windswept field

Standing alone my senses reeled

A fatal attraction holding me fast how

Can I escape this irresistible grasp?

Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies

Tongue tied and twisted Just an earth bound misfit I

Ice is forming on the tips of my wings

Unheeded warnings I thought I thought of everything

No navigator to find my way home

Unleadened, empty and turned to stone