Sign in to follow this  
CarRots

Roger Waters Accuses Radiohead of Supporting Israeli Government

Right. So I guess that still leaves me with a bunch of questions about the effectiveness of the Israeli boycott and the effectiveness of a boycott on the US or at least certain cities/states.

hope these help

The reality is that there’s nothing normal about Israel: no other colonial society I know of wakes up every morning and rules over millions of others by force, against their will, and pretends that it is okay. No other society I know of consistently supports its government’s wars against its occupied and dispossessed victims by an average of 94 percent.

What other society has 94 percent of the population that agrees on anything?

BDS is the best way to alert Israelis that their present society, where racism and occupation is routine, is abnormal. It tells Israelis that their leading companies and universities are complicit in upholding the longest occupation in modern times. It lets Israelis know that the IDF is not a defense army at all, but an aggressive colonial police, and that their troops and their settlers should return home.

After forty-eight years of trying, the difficulties of ending the occupation are obvious. But it remains the most achievable task because it is there that Palestinians have most global support. If that is impossible, then nothing else is possible, and the status quo is permanent. Palestinians would then be destined to live walled in, dispossessed, and dominated forever. No reasonable human being should accept that for another people — it should violate our elementary morality and sense of justice. A democratic and effective BDS is one of the best ways to express this today.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2015/04/palestine-israel-bds-self-determination/

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/07/bds-boycott-divest-sanctions-palestine-israel-academic-universities

Yeah playing in Israel is dumb. They played there cause Jonny Greenwood has family in Israel and everything they said after was super misguided justification to not call out Jonny. Dumb but oh well.

Regardless of whether he's right or wrong, I hate the arrogant and condescending way he talked to Radiohead regarding this issue, as if they were just a bunch of 20-something mindless kids and not some of the most intelligent and talented musicians of their generation.

And maybe Roger should have used some of that bile to make better albums during his post-Floyd period. I can't help but think of him as little more than a more educated Gallagher because of the way he's making a war out of this.

I just hate this kind of attitude. Roger is (was) brilliant. Radiohead still are.

Regardless of whether he's right or wrong, I hate the arrogant and condescending way he talked to Radiohead regarding this issue, as if they were just a bunch of 20-something mindless kids and not some of the most intelligent and talented musicians of their generation.

And maybe Roger should have used some of that bile to make better albums during his post-Floyd period. I can't help but think of him as little more than a more educated Gallagher because of the way he's making a war out of this.

I just hate this kind of attitude. Roger is (was) brilliant. Radiohead still are.

what is condescending about what he said

Regardless of whether he's right or wrong, I hate the arrogant and condescending way he talked to Radiohead regarding this issue

hey youd be fairly arrogant and condescending too if it was your destiny to record the body with ron geesin

Living with the knowledge that he will always be second fiddle to David has given Rog a complex too. Lashing out at Thom in such a public manner is latent insecurity of his silver medal.

If he really wanted to get the message across to Thom he would have continued to try and approach him in private - even if he didn't initially respond to some email.

Also do we know the details of the first email that apparently miffed Thom? Roger seems to not have shared that. I guess i could concede if Rodger was putting on an diplomatic front in the intimate email - than Thom is being a bit of bitch.

But I have doubts and think roger was being roger.

I really like how the level of discourse here has become "ur just jealous!!"

Straight up Thom was pissed at Roger for what he appears to have taken as a threat and then airing it all out in the public instead of keeping it in private.

Now if rogers email really wasn't that threatening - I'd admit that Thom is in the wrong here completely. But I have a hard time believing roger wasn't an absolute ass because of prior history when dealing with people.