MSepol

The Daily Mail (the song)

As far as late-period songs go, it looks like a lot of people think "the Daily Mail" is one of their best. But, honestly, I never understood the appeal. Sonically, it looks to me like something that could have been placed on "Hail to the Thief" (definitely not TKOL) and, for some reason, that build-up never managed to thrill me.

So, what am I missing? Does it have to do with the lyrics? I'm not British nor American, so maybe I'm missing the point of the whole song. It sounds angry and heavily political. But what is it all about? And what's with the newspaper reference? 

Please enlighten me.

I'm kinda with you, it's not one of my favorites either. I prefer staircase.

daily mail is just...boring?

Staircase....ah. Why it wasn't put on TKOL, I'll never know. Love that jam.

The Daily Mail is just another dopey piano ballad. Sail to the moon, Codex, Videotape - I mean we've been there already.

It doesn't surprise. And it doesn't add anything.

Also, TKOL was this beautiful poetic album (lyrically) with all the talk of lotus flowers and universe breathing and giant birds and ancient trees and jelly fish.

A song about a corrupt media outlet, though enticing, didn't follow the Zen quality of TKOL that was a departure from their other albums.

i dnt think they could tack on enough thumbs to daily mail or staircase to fit in on the first half of the album and the 2nd half of the album was already reserved for slower songs

actually daily mail couldnt be more relevant than it is currently

Please elaborate. Now I can see a parallel with the Trump administration and the Brexit issue. But, what were they specifically talking about in 2011, when this was originally released?

The Daily Mail is just another dopey piano ballad. Sail to the moon, Codex, Videotape - I mean we've been there already.

A song about a corrupt media outlet, though enticing, didn't follow the Zen quality of TKOL that was a departure from their other albums.

In my humble opinion, it really doesn't seem to add much. I prefer every single other piano ballad they have done over this one (except WSYB). But I see a lot of people and music critics praising this song so much, like if it was the second coming  or whatever. Just too hyperbolic. But I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the song is a bit "meh"/average...

Corrupt media outlet? Care to explain? What's the story behind it? Is it represented as a means for the moonies to lie to and manipulate our societies?

Corrupt media outlet? Care to explain? What's the story behind it? Is it represented as a means for the moonies to lie to and manipulate our societies?

Yeah, from what I understand British tabloids can be pretty brutal - and The Daily Mail might just be the most brutual.

Over the last several years they've had a litany of lawsuits filed against them for libel violations, copyright infringement, just straight up invasion of privacy.

I'm a Yankee - so I don't have to worry a whole lot about them, but from what I understand - they traffic in the same sort of conservative scare tactics as a Fox News might here in the states.

i thought they had more of an international presence, especially in the states, since going online

Breitbart, Fox News, and if you really wanna get right - InfoWars, are really the triumvirate of insanity for the discerning American Conserative.

But there's always a spot open on the team.

Please elaborate. Now I can see a parallel with the Trump administration and the Brexit issue. But, what were they specifically talking about in 2011, when this was originally released?

well the songs been around way before 2011, it was called a pigs ear or pigsee

i thnik its relevant now that we here in the states have a serial liar in the white house that lied his way into office, and he actually thinks hes gonna get away with telling people only what they want to hear

I don't recall many people thinking it's one of their best. It's definitely in their classic style which Ed acknowledged in an interview once but it's just a b-side so no problem. The political context is like ok nice sure. Title is a bit on the nose though.

Staircase is the real unsung hero, such a great song.

i like the acoustic staicase better actually

its way more intimate and the lyrics have more meaning becaus of it, and the ftb versions vocals are a little rushed 

I don't recall many people thinking it's one of their best. It's definitely in their classic style which Ed acknowledged in an interview once but it's just a b-side so no problem. The political context is like ok nice sure. Title is a bit on the nose though.

Staircase is the real unsung hero, such a great song.

Like an ugly brother version of glasshouse (the daily mail song, I mean)?

Staircase is a phenomal song and I love how Clive really cements his status within the context of the band.

Can't help but dance when I hear it - great rhythm.

Edit: maybe Clive's usefulness is more personified in Bloom, but I still think he jams Staircase and it wouldn't have been the same without him.

I love it. Admittedly it sounds flat on a bad sound system, but on a good one it's fantastic. Love the piano melody and the way it resonates and changes, and when the band comes on it really amps up.

Like an ugly brother version of glasshouse (the daily mail song, I mean)?

Staircase is a phenomal song and I love how Clive really cements his status within the context of the band.

Can't help but dance when I hear it - great rhythm.

Edit: maybe Clive's usefulness is more personified in Bloom, but I still think he jams Staircase and it wouldn't have been the same without him.

lol I remember when they first released the staircase ftb online and phil introduced it by saying "no, you're not seeing double"

Staircase....ah. Why it wasn't put on TKOL, I'll never know. Love that jam.

Also, TKOL was this beautiful poetic album (lyrically) with all the talk of lotus flowers and universe breathing and giant birds and ancient trees and jelly fish.

ouch.

disagree.

TDM is great because it starts with this gentle, pretty piano, very basic chord progression..........but then it veers hard right into this ominous change.

the chord change is fucking wild from a musical standpoint.

then it builds into great Beatles climax.

i like it a lot.

whenever radiohead venture into Beatles territory it's always fun.

and frankly this song has NOTHING in common with Sail to the Moon, Codex or Videotape.

Videotape has this weird syncopation that was new ground for them.

Codex is a lovely pagan-esque meditation with treated Pianos that we'd never heard before.

Sail to the Moon is about Noah.

Daily Mail is a vicious political protest song.

ouch.

disagree.

TDM is great because it starts with this gentle, pretty piano, very basic chord progression..........but then it veers hard right into this ominous change.

the chord change is fucking wild from a musical standpoint.

then it builds into great Beatles climax.

i like it a lot.

whenever radiohead venture into Beatles territory it's always fun.

and frankly this song has NOTHING in common with Sail to the Moon, Codex or Videotape.

Videotape has this weird syncopation that was new ground for them.

Codex is a lovely pagan-esque meditation with treated Pianos that we'd never heard before.

Sail to the Moon is about Noah.

Daily Mail is a vicious political protest song.

Yeah agree with this. It sounds wicked on the Blu-Ray version of The Basement. And I love Staircase too!

No you are wrong and the fact that you agree with FunnyHaHa is just more proof of that.

The Daily Mail is just retread crap. It serves no purpose other than to appease Thom. It should have just been a solo song for all it's worth.

It opens up no new landscapes. It does not challenge the listener. It is dialed in crap.