The Tape Thread

skylark

its a post from atease but it sums up my thoughts on the tape and the notebooks

I like how cassette plus notebook plus new b-sides plus How Am I Driving as it stood anyway all add up to a sort of proof of one of the great creative achievements of the last twenty years. It all tells you that Thom had conceived the whole thing almost exactly as it turned out. I think this is why there'll always be skeptics about OKC: people who'd prefer a work of art to be more accidental or happenstantial, more a mind thinking than the thought itself. To create something so close to your intentions minimises the space for the interpreter or critic - that's why there's the prejudice towards the thoughtless over the conscious. So I really hope some reviewer will hear all these bits and bobs and read the notebooks and give Thom credit for how amazingly clear-headed and full of certainty and brave he was. I'm completely blown away by this evidence of (on top of the talent) great decision after great decision.

OKC is a self-conscious record. And some cunts will never be having that. They think artfulness is synthetic, the twats...unless it's pop. But what the hell else kind of record could you make in 1997? It's a record about the awfulness of self-consciousness. And having to do it when you've not completely made it, when you might well be blowing your career, is very different from being the Beatles making Sgt Pepper (a far inferior album, conceptually) or Miles making Bitches Brew. I dunno: I'm just astonished at Thom Yorke's guts and vision and the way this whole reissue tells you: none of this was a fluke. OK Computer is an underrated record. And fuck you, Alexis Petridis.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just mental to think he was 28/29 and had this singular creative vision for what would become OK Computer and pulled it off pretty much exactly as intended

the progression from the acoustic versions of Let Down and Airbag to what's on the album just blows me away

its a fascinating insight into the processes of a band at the peak of its powers

can't wait for the Kid A/Amnesiac version, if Nigel's right then we're going to get hours and hours of extra stuff 

its a post from atease but it sums up my thoughts on the tape and the notebooks

Ya pretty much and seriously fuck Alex

just mental to think he was 28/29 and had this singular creative vision for what would become OK Computer and pulled it off pretty much exactly as intended

the progression from the acoustic versions of Let Down and Airbag to what's on the album just blows me away

its a fascinating insight into the processes of a band at the peak of its powers

can't wait for the Kid A/Amnesiac version, if Nigel's right then we're going to get hours and hours of extra stuff 

The progression is outstanding and seeing how it was developed into masterpieces is such a treat for music fans. I really think this needs to be recognise as a remarkable approach to it all . Me and my mate were discussing KID/AM release and really excited by it. 

What really amazes me about this is how new this all is. None of it leaked, and there's some real beautiful stuff in here. The version of Let Down that sounds like a Beatles demo is so good

Let Down is gorgeous 

this is incredible. 2 full new songs, full demos, sound experiments that would appear on later songs. this thing is better than anticipated.

i was having a little buyer's remorse before it arrived but the full boxset is really cool. loved thom's notes on ideas for the songs. getting dj shadow to scratch, using recordings from their trip to disneyland... haha. 

I love the recording bits too, like the CUTW vocal take and Jonny's guitar solo in Paranoid Android, and them talking before the 1234 at the start of Polyethylene. It's so weird to get some context for when these songs were made considering how pristine they ended up on the album. It's definitely helped me appreciate OKC in a way I didn't before.

I love this cassette....on my second listen and 6th beer.

National anthem sounds like a PH b-side.....so different!!!!

Big ideas grooves like a Pink Floyd tune. Best moment on here. MPS is gorgeous. I love those lyrics, was hoping for the acoustic version to appear. Bummed dogwander only made it in print. The live big boots is huge. Kinda wish they added a lift live too.

Guess we all can complain. But this all takes me back to my college years..... it's a beautiful peek into their heads

I love this cassette....on my second listen and 6th beer.

National anthem sounds like a PH b-side.....so different!!!!

Big ideas grooves like a Pink Floyd tune. Best moment on here. MPS is gorgeous. I love those lyrics, was hoping for the acoustic version to appear. Bummed dogwander only made it in print. The live big boots is huge. Kinda wish they added a lift live too.

Guess we all can complain. But this all takes me back to my college years..... it's a beautiful peek into their heads

Who's complaining?? This box set is so much more than I anticipated it was going to be. I really don't regret spending the money on it.