Fast Tracker

Thom + Nigel speak out on Israel. Shit hits big fan.

Well I have to assume that you're uninformed because you started by saying that you wanted to know about BDS. So either you are uninformed or are pretending to be (which would be particularly puzzling and patronising).

I gave you a direct link to their site, where they explain who they are and what they do, but you didn't look at it, and raised arguments that could easily be addressed by having a look at the basic information about the movement.

a two state solution is feasible but the idea of Israel returning land stolen in the 1940s is a fucking pipe dream and so naive, it borders stupidity.

as Helter Skelter has mentioned, BDS' "our way or the highway" is a mistake, it's counterproductive and it's why Radiohead are playing in Israel.

Because BDS is NOT the only way.

a two state solution is feasible but the idea of Israel returning land stolen in the 1940s is a fucking pipe dream and so naive, it borders stupidity.

is it any more naive than the idea of stealing the land in 1948 in the first place?

and ive come to find that whether theres settlements or not, missiles will fly so fuck a two state solution

listen, i realize how naive it sounds to move israel as a realistic solution to this

and i want you to know im not actually advocating that but i obviously dnt think a two state solution is going to result in anything either

idk, u should probably jus put palestinians on the endangered species list and not play or have fun in israel for the next century i guess cuz cooler heads will not prevail

is it any more naive than the idea of stealing the land in 1948 in the first place?

and ive come to find that whether theres settlements or not, missiles will fly so fuck a two state solution

probably true.

v fucking juvenile.

as if the band have anything to do with freeing palestine.

naive, immature twats.

these are the times when the left embarrass me.

and i'm a 150% leftist but whatever.

lol ok.

you misinterpret my point.

intentionally.

but that's ok, it's expected.

seeing that you're a bernie supporter and seem to be big on rigidity is it fair to assume you were a bernie-or-bust voter?  a "never hillary"?   

lol ok.

you misinterpret my point.

intentionally.

but that's ok, it's expected.

seeing that you're a bernie supporter and seem to be big on rigidity is it fair to assume you were a bernie-or-bust voter?  a "never hillary"?   

i mean even if he was one of those guys that is in no way comparable to this situation and, to anticipate your next line, it's fucking ridiculous to bring trump into this to make the case for your moral superiority

i mean even if he was one of those guys that is in no way comparable to this situation and, to anticipate your next line, it's fucking ridiculous to bring trump into this to make the case for your moral superiority

the irony.

So a statement at last: down to general concepts of artistic freedom, and freedom of expression.  And bridge building and good shit like that.

I have to say that the longer this discussion goes on, the less sympathetic I am to the band's (apparent) position.  I agree absolutely that playing in Israel (or anywhere else) doesn't of itself mean support for the ruling regime and everything it stands for.  But it also implies a passivity and apathy to the general political situation in the country.  Playing in Israel on-and-off for 20 years tells me what, by the way?  That things were better back then (they weren't), or maybe just that no-one was organized in the way they are now to call out such behavior.

I think I basically agree with Ken Loach: it's one of those issues where a passive response defaults to one of acceptance of the status quo - which in this case is the long-continued existence of the apartheid state.  An existence which seems to be getting progressively worse.  I think they should cancel.

i'll admit his official statement is a little weak.

his initial comment on it towards Roger Waters was much better said.

i'll still say though that they're not endorsing or supporting what Israel is doing to the palestinians.

it doesn't matter though.

people will interpret this thing as they see fit.

ive never seriously entertained the notion of seeing radiohead live seeing as id need a bank loan to pay for the ticket but im considering doing so just to take a Palestinian flag with me