Fast Tracker

Thom + Nigel speak out on Israel. Shit hits big fan.

im not sure people noticed apartheid because of some artists

also i think the world is very much aware of the israel / palestine situation without needing radiohead to not play a gig in Israel 

but yeah good job boxing phantoms bruh

im jus sayin, rh playing a show is about as relevant as nerds candy treats being available in israel

netanyahu dnt give a fuck, only u do cuz u think they are better than that

the point isn't about radiohead boycotting in isolation. if there wasn't a greater context to conveniently ignore, maybe this convo wouldn't be happening

This story really blew up in the last day or two. For example this was on the front page of Reddit and it has more upvotes than any of their moon shaped pool stuff ever got. it's weird seeing the band in a position where they have to defend themselves like this. I don't really know or care enough about this to take a side but considering the bands history with Israel professionally and personally I don't think their position should come as a surprise

im not sure people noticed apartheid because of some artists

also i think the world is very much aware of the israel / palestine situation without needing radiohead to not play a gig in Israel 

...and one person crossing the picket line won't break a strike

it's still a disingenuous argument.

there are so many causes and problems in the world to get involved in and/or boycott.

picking on radiohead is weak and lazy.

they don't decide the fate of palestinians, whether or not they play in Israel doesn't change the situation.

waving a fucking flag at their concert accomplishes nothing, it's weak and lazy.  I'd give them the finger too.

i get it, it's cool and hip to hate on them and get self-righteous and stand on our soapbox and say they're wrong.

all the artists in the world can boycott Israel but ultimately it comes down to nations taking action, specifically USA.

we give Israel roughly $4 billion a year in military aid.

how about you protest THAT.   Because THAT is what allows Israel to carry out their operations.

THAT is the fucking problem.

not a fucking rock concert.

wake the fuck up and grow the fuck up.

i also had a few laughs over on the reddit thread because there were a lot of people saying how nuanced this whole situation is and how people are being very black and white about it.

i'm not the only one making this same argument.

https://twitter.com/jhoffman/status/884847425952907264

ironic that ken loach doesn't want radiohead to perform their music in israel but it's ok for his films to be in israeli theaters?

that's a special kind of fucked up hypocrisy.

it's still a disingenuous argument.

there are so many causes and problems in the world to get involved in and/or boycott.

picking on radiohead is weak and lazy.

they don't decide the fate of palestinians, whether or not they play in Israel doesn't change the situation.

waving a fucking flag at their concert accomplishes nothing, it's weak and lazy. I'd give them the finger too.

i get it, it's cool and hip to hate on them and get self-righteous and stand on our soapbox and say they're wrong.

all the artists in the world can boycott Israel but ultimately it comes down to nations taking action, specifically USA.

we give Israel roughly $4 billion a year in military aid.

how about you protest THAT. Because THAT is what allows Israel to carry out their operations.

THAT is the fucking problem.

not a fucking rock concert.

wake the fuck up and grow the fuck up.

i also had a few laughs over on the reddit thread because there were a lot of people saying how nuanced this whole situation is and how people are being very black and white about it.

i'm not the only one making this same argument.

yes you do come off as very nuanced and level-headed

it's really not in any way comparable is it?

if your film in showing in theaters then how is one leading a cultural boycott? it is the exact same thing. just a different medium.

loach's product is film. his film is showing in israeli theaters. he is making money from it and contributing to the culture with his art. the film is 100 minutes.

radiohead's product is live music. why is going there and singing songs for 100 minutes any different?

i agree with the boycott, but loach can't really throw shit if he currently has a film in theaters there, and he is collecting money for it.

The difference is that Loach was paid a fee to direct the film, he's ostensibly an employee. The production company(s) own the film and decide which distributors and territories to sell it to. As an employee, Loach has no real say on this decision.

Loach should have been more vocal in his criticism of the decision to release the film in Israel, but it's highly unlikely that he profits from it. Generally directors are paid a set fee by producers who, in turn, make their money by selling the film to various distributors.

In contrast, Radiohead, not even tied to a record label, are fully in control of the decision to play in Israel and, as such, are deciding to reject the cultural boycott.

The difference is that Loach was paid a fee to direct the film, he's ostensibly an employee. The production company(s) own the film and decide which distributors and territories to sell it to. As an employee, Loach has no real say on this decision.

Loach should have been more vocal in his criticism of the decision to release the film in Israel, but it's highly unlikely that he profits from it. Generally directors are paid a set fee by producers who, in turn, make their money by selling the film to various distributors.

In contrast, Radiohead, not even tied to a record label, are fully in control of the decision to play in Israel and, as such, are deciding to reject the cultural boycott.

Sixteen Films

Sixteen Films is the film production company formed by director Ken Loach and producer Rebecca O'Brien after Parallax Pictures dissolved in 2002. Writer Paul Laverty is the Associate Director and the primary function of the company is to make films written, produced and directed by this team.

well in that case, he's a hypocrite - but still right! what that means is that he should pull his films from israel, not that radiohead are in the right.

what it means is that yeah he's being a hypocrite.

but also that it's not all or nothing.

it's not black and fucking white.

it's akin to saying because the band are against climate change and are constantly speaking out against it and raising awareness, thom playing charity shows, etc-  that they should boycott touring all together.

it's bullshit, myopic logic.

it lacks nuance.   shades of grey.

and sure self-righteous, arrogant bleesh can make fun-  but this is why it's nuanced.    maybe you should read about what nuance means.

Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white Weak and lazy black and white

NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCEDNUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCEDNUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCEDNUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED NUANCED