Two things: very disappointed that almost everyone in this thread has overlooked the link I posted detailing the contents of the casette. Holy shit that is big news guys!

It looks cool, but I'm so much more excited for the new projects the band mates are working on. Call me a dud in the mud, but I'm not as pumped for new versions of songs that have been around for 20 years.

Was much more excited to hear Ill Wind then Lift. Maybe unpopular opinion there.

A creepy girl reciting climbing up the walls - ok. Cool. But...

intrigued by the "new song", but I would wager that it's some 90s alt rock type of deal - which is fun - but come on.

I'd be more interested in an In Rainbows or TKOL release - just because those albums are a little less dated and could return some cool stuffs.

Musically the band just doesn't feel like OKC anymore, so I have a hard time getting revved up for it. The sound is just kind of....boring. Nothing there to improve upon. Which is the genius of OKC to begin with - alt rock wasn't going to get much better than that high water Mark.

If TLW on AMSP would have been that singular accoustic version that Thom played for years - I'd have e felt the same.

Instead Thom twisted that song and updated it with this gut wrenching beautiful take.

I'd have been more interested in Lift with less guitars, less chorus, more strings, and some polyrhythmic structures- stuff the band have been into lately.

Maybe Recokner-esque?

Of course I'd love new songs but I'm also excited about my favourite album being remastered and enjoying it in a new light alongside a few previously unreleased songs.

are the remastered songs that good? or that different?  tbh, mostly people are talking about big boots and i promise, and it made me wonder if the regular songs were noticeably improved. i don't typically run right out and buy the remastered albums anyways, not even for my favorite band. but, i'm not dissing anyone for liking it, and more power to you all who are enjoying it.  

are the remastered songs that good? or that different? tbh, mostly people are talking about big boots and i promise, and it made me wonder if the regular songs were noticeably improved. i don't typically run right out and buy the remastered albums anyways, not even for my favorite band. but, i'm not dissing anyone for liking it, and more power to you all who are enjoying it.

They're definitely not drastically different. But it's fun to listen for the minor differences. Some are for the better and some not so much.

even if everything i would expect to hear apart from the 3 established songs is on the cassette, which it clearly isn't, it's not good enough to not state upfront what's on it. doing the archival stuff as a mixtape is a cool idea but it ain't good enough to literally release it as a tape! the download exists but from my position i'd be paying over £100 for it. there's literally nothing in the deluxe version i can put in my stereo system, meaning that if i buy it i still have to buy the cds separately, cos my cd player is sweet. OKNOTOK is a bad product.

you should be judging it by the standards of past deluxe archival projects by other artists. i can if i so wish listen to every little cello chirp and fart recorded for Pet Sounds, for example. we have a statement that Nigel recorded over bad takes. some of you are taking that to mean that these 3 songs and the cassette contents which still aren't 100% confirmed mean this is a comprehensive project. what http://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/ok-computer-oknotok-1997-2017 says to me is random cool shit taken from a much larger pool of recordings. if early developmental stuff from Paranoid Android survived, don't froth at the mouth absolutely convinced that *name song here* definitely doesn't.

Radiohead chose to make an archival project which is probably incomplete, and they chose to price it a point which is uncompetitive in the market for music nerds who are into this kind of shit.

i'm judging OKNOTOK from that perspective. don't get pissy at me 'cos being a Radiohead fan apparently means I have to be excited about Thom's diary and material which the band thought wasn't good enough for 20 years, now mysteriously worthy of the full video treatment...  :ph34r:

It looks cool, but I'm so much more excited for the new projects the band mates are working on. Call me a dud in the mud, but I'm not as pumped for new versions of songs that have been around for 20 years.

Was much more excited to hear Ill Wind then Lift. Maybe unpopular opinion there.

intrigued by the "new song", but I would wager that it's some 90s alt rock type of deal - which is fun - but come on.

I'd be more interested in an In Rainbows or TKOL release - just because those albums are a little less dated and could return some cool stuffs.

Musically the band just doesn't feel like OKC anymore, so I have a hard time getting revved up for it. The sound is just kind of....boring. Nothing there to improve upon. Which is the genius of OKC to begin with - alt rock wasn't going to get much better than that high water Mark.

If TLW on AMSP would have been that singular accoustic version that Thom played for years - I'd have e felt the same.

Instead Thom twisted that song and updated it with this gut wrenching beautiful take.

I'd have been more interested in Lift with less guitars, less chorus, more strings, and some polyrhythmic structures- stuff the band have been into lately.

Maybe Recokner-esque?

If we were gonna get the songs in that form, we would have gotten them in that form. I'm more excited by what the band are doing nowadays as well but it's possible to enjoy more than one thing. A lot of people here grew up on this version of Radiohead. And at one point in time they were waiting for studio reproductions of these unreleased songs that were this faithful to the bootlegs they loved. After 15 years of listening to fans bitch about the band ruining their favorite unreleased songs with beats and synths it absolutely blows my mind to see people complaining about getting these.

even if everything i would expect to hear apart from the 3 established songs is on the cassette, which it clearly isn't, it's not good enough to not state upfront what's on it. doing the archival stuff as a mixtape is a cool idea but it ain't good enough to literally release it as a tape! the download exists but from my position i'd be paying over £100 for it. there's literally nothing in the deluxe version i can put in my stereo system, meaning that if i buy it i still have to buy the cds separately, cos my cd player is sweet. OKNOTOK is a bad product.

you should be judging it by the standards of past deluxe archival projects by other artists. i can if i so wish listen to every little cello chirp and fart recorded for Pet Sounds, for example. we have a statement that Nigel recorded over bad takes. some of you are taking that to mean that these 3 songs and the cassette contents which still aren't 100% confirmed mean this is a comprehensive project. what http://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/ok-computer-oknotok-1997-2017 says to me is random cool shit taken from a much larger pool of recordings. if early developmental stuff from Paranoid Android survived, don't froth at the mouth absolutely convinced that *name song here* definitely doesn't.

Radiohead chose to make an archival project which is probably incomplete, and they chose to price it a point which is uncompetitive in the market for music nerds who are into this kind of shit.

i'm judging OKNOTOK from that perspective. don't get pissy at me 'cos being a Radiohead fan apparently means I have to be excited about Thom's diary and material which the band thought wasn't good enough for 20 years, now mysteriously worthy of the full video treatment...  :ph34r:

I mean, I'm NOT getting that deluxe, and I gave away my IR Discbox, so I'm not questioning why anyone would feel the way you do about the product....

But won't all that notebook and artwork be a big deal for certain uberfans?

I really cannot understand the cassette thing. Is it a Hipster thing? The CDs should be there. I would have bought that fucker if the CDs were there. That was a big mistake imho.

you know, i would absolutely buy a book written by thom & co that would collect all these scraps and things.  i have the big beatles book full of notes and anecdotes and things, and i absolutely love it.  rh should totally do that.

I mean, I'm NOT getting that deluxe, and I gave away my IR Discbox, so I'm not questioning why anyone would feel the way you do about the product....

But won't all that notebook and artwork be a big deal for certain uberfans?

I really cannot understand the cassette thing. Is it a Hipster thing? The CDs should be there. I would have bought that fucker if the CDs were there. That was a big mistake imho.

for me, the notebook stuff screams 'stuff that wasn't good enough for the early Radiohead website'. pictures of stickmen dancing in front of dollar signs, etcetera.

however, if for the sake of argument it's all amazing revelatory stuff, it's still a mistake to glue your archival recording project to that. there should have been an option to just buy the mixtape stuff with the remasters/'new' songs without having to buy in to everything, digitally or as a 3cd package, whatever. the fact that there isn't indicates, in my opinion, them deliberately appealing to the 'whales' at the expense of your standard megafans. and the whales would have still paid £100 for the books and stuff anyway.

Now I'm starting to feel like a sucker for buying the whole package

But for what you get in the package it sounds comparably priced to the IR discbox and AMSP special edition. Well, comparably priced plus $40 on top

are the bsides on vinyl?

edit: jus checked and they are and with vinyl alone, i would say this oknok set should justifiably cost more than in rainbows

i dnt kno if it should be 40+ more but i know the notebook and artwork prob trump in rainbows 

asmp has like 2 extra songs, wouldnt even compare it to either of these

Good point, I had nearly forgot the B-sides on vinyl which is one of the reasons I bought it. And the IR and AMSP boxes are beautiful and I haven't regretted buying those at all

The TKOL one was cool too, I still enjoy busting out the newspaper when I listen to the vinyls

i dnt have money for this either man, i mean i do but i dont

gotta be responsible an all that

but boy would i love to have meeting in the aisle on vinyl, but it would be a luxury, not a necessity 

Two things: very disappointed that almost everyone in this thread has overlooked the link I posted detailing the contents of the casette. Holy shit that is big news guys!

Secondly, I want to take a second to brag that I've got a ticket to the macerata show in August! Also hello out there to Helter skelter

I can't find your original post. Can you re-post that link?

Maybe Recokner-esque?

100% agree on all points.

i also agree what others have said-  the super expensive package should've included the CDs.    I probably would've bought it if it had.

One thing that's clear from listening to OKNOTOK is that Radiohead were at such a turning point with OK Computer – most of their songs from this era that weren't transcendent tended to be pretty straightforward indie-rock numbers that harked back to the sound of The Bends. So they really needed to take a left turn for their next record. 

I never regretted buying the IR diskbox - because of the CD2 full of all new material, and the electronic versions of a photo album plus lots of artwork.  To me it was good value.  But I've avoided special editions since because I don't see the value.  If you're into vinyl (I'm generally not), then I think that's a different matter obviously. 

On the general quality of the remastered tracks, I'm actually impressed so far.  I haven't done a side by side yet, but on good headphones I'm finding the vocal tracks a little smoother (that's a slightly weird way to put it where Thom is concerned), a bit more detail in the percussion, and generally more aural 'separation' between the instruments.  It's not a huge difference, but I think it's noticeable and I'm liking it a lot.

One thing that's clear from listening to OKNOTOK is that Radiohead were at such a turning point with OK Computer – most of their songs from this era that weren't transcendent tended to be pretty straightforward indie-rock numbers that harked back to the sound of The Bends. So they really needed to take a left turn for their next record.

Sounds like you are sensing the anxiety Thom started having.