we're not talking a new album here. it's a deluxe reissue/remaster of a 20 year old record with all the baggage/expectations such a project brings. i'm gonna hold off the essay until it becomes totally clear what's on the cassette and credits etcetera (£100 for some vague indications...) but for me so far all signs point to some combination of overpriced, unnecessary and incomplete.

there's nothing wrong with wanting a comprehensive product. we're talking about the most important, acclaimed album of its era from the 'best band in the world' etcetera. £100 is a lot of money. it's so much money that I, the biggest Radiohead fan in the world, am probably going to have to pass on it. you absolutely ARE entitled to sessions, demos, all the unreleased tracks in whatever level of quality, the full caboodle.

not only does all that exist (yes Nigel taped over the bad takes but whatever) but YOU ARE GOING TO GET IT. 30th anniversary, 40th anniversary, whenever. there will one day be a far more comprehensive version of OKC released than OKNOTOK.

this ain't OKC, it's just killing wallets.

What happened to everyone here? The band members are in a great space musically (mentally - for Thom) - their still turning out great music in their late 40s, when most great bands either don't stay together or sound as good.

Their doing massive amounts of fan service over the last couple of years releasing songs we "never" thought we'd hear.

They are absolutely milking the sentimental aspect of their career - with an album they specifically stated on to DONT GET SENTIMENTAL.

Some of you are giving me the same anxiety and frustration that putting on a condom backwards gives me.

Just enjoy this time, maybe the band is "wrapping things up" - maybe not.

Either way this is relatively uncharted territory where the band is actually happy and showcasing that and clearly wants to share that joy with their fans.

Stop being a wet sock, fuck.

I blame the Gen Xers on this site for the pessimism. ;)

from what i can tell, we are in a pattern of popular album session-> weird album session-> relaxed album session

so the pressure is on for another good one

good time to quit

from the reviews and things I've read, the cassette sounds like it will be an amazing little bit of radiohead history

Man of War - great

Lift - good

I Promise - ok

the remastered album - fantastic

the remastered b-sides - struggle to be that bothered

i'm happy with spending £100 on it tbh, when you consider that it's £75 for a ticket to see them nowadays

Radiohead fans aren't the only picky ones. Just visit any message board dedicated to a long-running band like Metallica or U2 and you'll see the same thing. People gripe about musical direction, setlists, release schedules, remasters, and tour dates. It's just how people are. 

I'm all for constructive criticism but endless whining about every little thing is exhausting. Or maybe I'm just easy to please and have low expectations, making it hard for me to be disappointed. :lol:

Or maybe I'm just easy to please and have low expectations, making it hard for me to be disappointed. :lol:

Well, Fry - as your show has been cancelled on more than one occasion and soon to be taken off Netflix, you just have had your share of heartbreak.

You've learned to enjoy it while you got it.

jurassic-bark.jpg?w=650&quality=100&h=48

Well, Fry - as your show has been cancelled on more than one occasion and soon to be taken off Netflix, you just have had your share of heartbreak.

You've learned to enjoy it while you got it.

Yep, I'm used to it. I have all the DVDs anyway so I'm never without my fix. ;)

i used to have that poster

i had to put electric tape over his eyes though once i found out how his sister whored him out to photograghers far after he lost his mind

we're not talking a new album here. it's a deluxe reissue/remaster of a 20 year old record with all the baggage/expectations such a project brings. i'm gonna hold off the essay until it becomes totally clear what's on the cassette and credits etcetera (£100 for some vague indications...) but for me so far all signs point to some combination of overpriced, unnecessary and incomplete.

there's nothing wrong with wanting a comprehensive product. we're talking about the most important, acclaimed album of its era from the 'best band in the world' etcetera. £100 is a lot of money. it's so much money that I, the biggest Radiohead fan in the world, am probably going to have to pass on it. you absolutely ARE entitled to sessions, demos, all the unreleased tracks in whatever level of quality, the full caboodle.

not only does all that exist (yes Nigel taped over the bad takes but whatever) but YOU ARE GOING TO GET IT. 30th anniversary, 40th anniversary, whenever. there will one day be a far more comprehensive version of OKC released than OKNOTOK.

this ain't OKC, it's just killing wallets.

we aren't entitled to anything.

radiohead didn't have to do this at all, i'm shocked they even did it.

crowning yourself "the biggest radiohead fan in the world" doesn't make you an authority.

i'd say this is pretty comprehensive.    THEY RELEASED BIG BOOTS.     THE ONE SONG YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN CRYING TO BE RELEASED FOR DECADES.

a song that NO ONE ever thought would be released, ever.

not only is the album remastered, so are the b-sides.   they definitely didn't have to remaster the b-sides.

i will say the suer expensive package should've included the CDs.    that's one thing that i think is weak.

other than that, i don't know what more there is to include.

the cassette is gonna have all kinds of rare shit.   and inevitably it will be transferred onto the internet in mp3 form.

"this aint OKC"   lol.         says a guy on the internet.

I mean, liking and/or disliking a product like OKNOTOK is totally valid for any consumer. This product is non-essential to life, contrary to popular belief. 

SO--If this box set seems over-priced and pointless, don't buy it. You don't even have to think about it or post about it, if you don't want to.

But I personally think it's cool, so I bought it. And I'm hella excited about it.

BUT--even if I didn't care about this at all---let's say it was a Pablo Honey box set with an 8-track and a used napkin from the tour---I wouldn't buy it, of course, but I certainly wouldn't think of Radiohead in a lesser light simply because they put something I don't give a shit about on the market. 

Maybe we need to relax a remember that this is just a band and just because some of us spend way too much time and money on them (me), that doesn't really give us (me) the right to feel entitled to certain things or to hold the band to our own standards. We can still have opinions and all about songs and products etc, but getting really worked up about something like a cassette (which comes with digital download and is maybe the thing I'm most excited to hear at this point) aint worth anybody's time.

71bf4186f2fd86fe7990f814bb956dd6d77d68ee

Ya'all debating and chatting about shit that happened 20 years ago and I'm sitting here like "can a brother get Skirting on the Surface or Cut a Hole?"

I mean I'm happy for all you Gen X fans getting fired up about Lift and Big Boots, but honestly fuck brit pop, fuck alt rock, and fuck Little Kim. Fuck Junior Mafia. Die slow.

I'm trying to get on that 21st Century Life. Impossible Knots.

Like you old farts literally spent 5 pages of web space debating if thoms vocals are from 97 or 2016.

The fuck??? What you all a bunch of Sherlock Holmes wannabes?

What happened to I Foze Up?

You're so concerned with Big Boots not sounding like MPIE that you haven't even asked where is Open the Floodgates?

is it just that they didn't play anything new that made it lame?  or was the quality down?

i just thought the pacing was all off, they're usually very good at setlists.

started with daydreaming, and then lucky. i love both songs but daydreaming is just soooo slow to open with. I'm not sure it even works in a festival atmosphere. it was great when I saw them at the roundhouse.

i dont think it was anywhere near as good as the 1997/2003 setlist.

dont think they were rubbish or anything if i was there I'd still definitely be there and enjoy it. 

we aren't entitled to anything.

radiohead didn't have to do this at all, i'm shocked they even did it.

crowning yourself "the biggest radiohead fan in the world" doesn't make you an authority.

i'd say this is pretty comprehensive.    THEY RELEASED BIG BOOTS.     THE ONE SONG YOU GUYS HAVE BEEN CRYING TO BE RELEASED FOR DECADES.

a song that NO ONE ever thought would be released, ever.

not only is the album remastered, so are the b-sides.   they definitely didn't have to remaster the b-sides.

i will say the suer expensive package should've included the CDs.    that's one thing that i think is weak.

other than that, i don't know what more there is to include.

the cassette is gonna have all kinds of rare shit.   and inevitably it will be transferred onto the internet in mp3 form.

"this aint OKC"   lol.         says a guy on the internet.

says a guy on the internet

are you going for poster of the year? 

Ya'all debating and chatting about shit that happened 20 years ago and I'm sitting here like "can a brother get Skirting on the Surface or Cut a Hole?"

I mean I'm happy for all you Gen X fans getting fired up about Lift and Big Boots, but honestly fuck brit pop, fuck alt rock, and fuck Little Kim. Fuck Junior Mafia. Die slow.

Like you old farts literally spent 5 pages of web space debating if thoms vocals are from 97 or 2016.

You're so concerned with Big Boots not sounding like MPIE that you haven't even asked where is Open the Floodgates?

Skirting!!!! Also I would love Follow Me Around.

Skirting!!!! Also I would love Follow Me Around.

Needs a lyrical update, but yes - FMA would be ok. It's kind of getting into that old Radiohead feel.

The TKOL era new songs they were thrashing around - is really more where I'm at.

Cut a Hole needed some work - but I liked where it was going.

Skirting felt totally flushed out to me, I was surprised it missed AMSP.

Open the Floodgates, I really enjoy the lyrics. Plus Thoms voice when he just sort of croons is good stuff. Though it reminds me of pre TKOL Supercollider, and I dont particularly care for that TKOL version, so who knows what they would do with OtF.

I'm glad to see these old songs, good for them and fans that have been salivating for 15-20 years, but I'm vastly more interested in where their going.

It hasn't been long enough to speculate on an LP10 tracklist, and I think the band don't appear to be focused on new material at the moment - but Wake Me when they do. 90s are boring.

lol agreed.

i honestly never had any emotional stock in Big Boots, Lift, or I Promise.  

It's cool we have them now but I'm definitely more interested in new music from the boys-  jonny's new score, Thom's first ever score of the Suspiria remake, and of course new radiohead.   And Ed's solo album.

as for the vocals thing, it's just funny how people hear things.

that said- these are all late 90's thom vocals.    you don't need to be a Gen X-er to figure that out.    :smoke_coo

i just thought the pacing was all off, they're usually very good at setlists.

started with daydreaming, and then lucky. i love both songs but daydreaming is just soooo slow to open with. I'm not sure it even works in a festival atmosphere. it was great when I saw them at the roundhouse.

i dont think it was anywhere near as good as the 1997/2003 setlist.

dont think they were rubbish or anything if i was there I'd still definitely be there and enjoy it. 

yeah i was thinking daydreaming sounded odd as an opener, but hard to judge without actually being there.  glad it wasn't a quality thing.

i've often wondered if we expect a higher standard from radiohead because we all think they're so great, or do we cut them too much slack because we're fans. non fans often deride them for problems i just don't see or think exist.  but thats just the nature of being a fan of anyone i think.