FUCK THE CASSETTE

even just thinking about the cassette makes me angry

for years i was the poor kid who had to buy cassettes while everyone had cds

OKC, The Bends, i did it all on a fucking tape and a shitty deck and walkman

i was so happy when i got a cd player and joined the rest of the world. no more favourite albums getting screwed up in the tape player. make the odd mixtape, sure. but overall fuck tapes. nobody needs tapes. if you're a real cool cat buy vinyl, whatever. 

eventually the world forgot about tapes. you don't buy a tape player when you're buying stereo equipment. i certainly didn't last time i upgraded my shit. or the time before that or the time before that.

and now they fucking release a tape. to celebrate an album from the fucking height of the cd era. an album that you only had on tape if you were fucking poor and you hated having to listen to shit on tape.

they've releasing a tape that is never going to be played.

a tape that, even if i had a tape player, i would never risk putting inside it to get fucked up because FUCK TAPE.

for £100.

tapeshape my arse.

:lol:

I mean, I agree, except it comes with a download so who cares. I'll never play the tape but the content sounds amazing

http://recordcollectormag.com/reviews/ok-computer-oknotok-1997-2017

I don't get the complaints about so much OKC stuff. Glastonbury is a festival where bands typically play their hits or a different kind of set from what their normal tour contains. Only the hardcore viewers would prefer to hear more new stuff and they were probably in the minority.

I don't get the complaints about so much OKC stuff. Glastonbury is a festival where bands typically play their hits or a different kind of set from what their normal tour contains. Only the hardcore viewers would prefer to hear more new stuff and they were probably in the minority.

This is the truth. A festival setlist is almost always different from a regular show.

but Radiohead have never before played so little recent stuff at a festival. so you can make those arguments but it's ignoring that Radiohead set a new precedent with how few recent tracks they played. if hardcore fans aren't the target, it wasn't a problem in '97 and '03 when a third of the set was from their last album.

I complain because Radiohead themselves specifically set different expectations of not doing what a band would typically do.

i don't prefer the remastered pearly. at. all. however. the original still makes me very happy.

really a big difference here. maybe the remastered one would have improved sound played loud on big speakers but man i don't hear any improvement. on the contrary, it sounds like listening to it under water.

kinda scared to see what they did to palo alto now.

Radiohead fans are just never happy, hey...

yeah the last few pages have been a bit baffling.

i still can't believe there are so many fans who don't care for Lift. 

also, i agree with long fork. the rolling stone interview really quelled any concerns i had about a breakup.

the thing about the remastered versions of Palot Alto and Pearly are that they aren't just remasters- they both have different endings entirely.

i like them both to be honest.

also- people, get a grip.  radiohead are not gonna become a nostalgia act.   jesus.

I didn't think the vocals were new but now that I see it makes funnyHAHA lose his shit I'm starting to believe they are new coz it's pretty funny and not funny weird but funny haha

lol nah I'm not losing my shit.

it's just funny that people have such bizarre/bad hearing.

also- the logic that just because they went back and added strings equals new Thom vocals is laughable.

i will concede there are some subtle moments/inflections in his voice that sound kind of like modern Thom but then i hear the "yeah yeah yeah" at 2:27 and that is NOT modern Thom.

so yeah.

i'll still stand by my argument that this is old Thom.

by the way, the notion that it's modern Thom vocals in I Promise and in Lift is, well, nuts.  

but yeah i'll concede how with Man Of War it can confuse some ears.

I didn't think the vocals were new but now that I see it makes funnyHAHA lose his shit I'm starting to believe they are new coz it's pretty funny and not funny weird but funny haha

mjl.gif

On a more important note, how great is it to hear a remastered version of 'Fitter Happier'?!

it is actually.

my girlfriend and i went for a drive last night and listened to all of OKNOTOK and it was just..........fucking moving.

it was an intense experience.

what a sublime piece of art.

On a more important note, how great is it to hear a remastered version of 'Fitter Happier'?!

it's interesting. i can definitely tell the difference. the original has more of an atmospheric sound, like the echo of the great room in a haunted castle. the remaster has more of a 'polished recording' sound to it.

of course i'm gonna love the original more.

i've seen a lot of comments that people were not happy, helen said it was her least favorite rh show. and  thats what i'm trying to understand - if it was a problem with quality or was it the old content.

the only thing that sounds exciting to me is big boots and maybe the meeting in the aisles.  that said, i probably would have got it by now, just because its radiohead, but financial things prevented me, and now that i've read people's thoughts on it, well i can certainly wait.  remastered songs isn't really enough of a draw on its own.

I'm curious. I see 99% gushing here and Atease about this release. What negative things did I miss? (I'm not buying the box/deluxe because I don't do vinyl or cassette. But that thing of Thom's notebook, the artwork, and the contents of the cassette will be mighty, methinks.)

but Radiohead have never before played so little recent stuff at a festival. so you can make those arguments but it's ignoring that Radiohead set a new precedent with how few recent tracks they played. if hardcore fans aren't the target, it wasn't a problem in '97 and '03 when a third of the set was from their last album.

I complain because Radiohead themselves specifically set different expectations of not doing what a band would typically do.

Perhaps they feel that AMSP is not exactly a concert-friendly album? I dunno.....have they been playing lots of AMSP otherwise?

Anyway....you'll kick my arse for this, but you and Chroma have changed!! Chroma has time to post here but no time to see Man Of War video? Who are you people?? (Yes...you'll kick my ass for this.)

see and i think OKNOTOK was executed in a very exciting way.

radiohead fans honestly are an insufferable, obnoxious cunty bunch.

of all the bands i follow, these fans are so whiny and insatiable.   it's funny.

i'm happy with the results of this release and the material.   of course it would be cool to have more unreleased stuff but they obviously don't have anything else from that era.

i've been enjoying it, i suggest people try and do the same for fucks sake.

see and i think OKNOTOK was executed in a very exciting way.

radiohead fans honestly are an insufferable, obnoxious cunty bunch.

of all the bands i follow, these fans are so whiny and insatiable.   it's funny.

i'm happy with the results of this release and the material.   of course it would be cool to have more unreleased stuff but they obviously don't have anything else from that era.

i've been enjoying it, i suggest people try and do the same for fucks sake.

I'm also very happy with the results of OKNOTOK. I mean, I'm sure Radiohead do have more material from that era, but it probably wasn't in near releasable quality so would have had to record it which obviously isn't what they were looking to do.

I don't see any reason to criticize everything all the time rather than just enjoying what is available. (Not that criticism isn't valid though)