hey all, got here a bit late so sorry if this question has been asked, but why did they call it OKNOTOK? (i would guess something with politics (: )

I figured it had more to do with the fact that the second half isn't "OK", or at least wasn't considered good enough to make the final cut.

As with a lot of Radiohead titles, it's pretty ambiguous so you can probably read as much or as little into it as you please.

Anyone else get really sad listening to man of war? It put me back in the head of that 16 year old kid discovering all that unreleased stuff from his new favorite band, way more so than had they revisited it on a new album. I feel really old now, and Radiohead aren't getting any younger either.

personally i think it's an argument against giving people what they think they want. complaints about nude when in rainbows was released come to mind. nostalgia is a death trap.

which weirdly works with current radiohead given the tone and lyrical themes of amsp. and it's a really touching gift to dedicated fans. i'm choosing to think they were conscious about that when they decided to release these.

A little late to the party on the Record Collector article about the contents of the cassette tape, but it's got my mouth watering.  :yeah:

But after a handful of listens, Man of War is still the best of the three tracks for me. Lift is a very close second, though.

hey did anyone that ordered the 2 disc CD set get theirs in the mail yet?

i'm wondering because no stores seem to have it today despite the radiohead website says that it's available today.

all the shops say july 7.     maybe it's been delayed?

I'm wondering if i'll get it sooner if i just buy it from the waste website.

anyone?

Mine is on the way, so I would think it will get here before Jul 7th.

All of the items from order RADUS16507 have now been shipped:    
ITEM    SUBTOTAL
Compact Disc
Quantity Ordered: 1
Fulfilled Items: 1 / 1
Price: $13.00    $13.00    
They are being shipped via Royal Mail to the following address: etc etc

Mine is on the way, so I would think it will get here before Jul 7th.

All of the items from order RADUS16507 have now been shipped:    

ITEM    SUBTOTAL

Compact Disc

Quantity Ordered: 1

Fulfilled Items: 1 / 1

Price: $13.00    $13.00    

They are being shipped via Royal Mail to the following address: etc etc

thanks for the reply!

it doesn't make sense though cuz on the OKNOTOK website it reads:    This product will ship to you from 23rd June, and will also be available in shops on that date.

so what the heck?

i may just buy it from their website but i don't know how long it'll take to get here to the west coast.

Yeah, I thought I read somewhere that it was pushed to July 7th everywhere for the CD, then I got that email, so I dunno wtf.

Plus....$13. What a fucking deal!!

On Atease there are pages upon pages of debate about FLAC and Spotify and bits per second and....fuck all that shit. Get the 2CD. 

lol yeah i bought the 2CD a little while ago from the OKNOTOK page.

and it came with a download!   i wasn't expecting that as it doesn't say that in the product description.

anyway yeah i'm a child of the 90s and still buy CDs.

and still burn them too haha.

and yeah $13 is a great deal although shipping was like $10 or so.

so it equaled the amount i would've paid at my local record shop.

yeah. the vocals are definitely new, and that's what i miss the most - the crazy youthful urgency. the vocal is sadthom here. it's nice and i like the new man o'war but it has a completely different feel to it, even if formally it is essentially the same.

i also have a feeling that jonny had really limited input in this version. the strings are really upfront and, i dunno, obvious i guess. and the guitars feel really clean and sparkly. it totally feels like they did this polished version of an old tune for bond, got rejected, thought "fuck it, we're going balls out for this" and came up with spectre.

lol fucking christ man.

THESE ARE NOT NEW VOCALS.   

anyone with half a fucking decent ear for music and familiar with 90's radiohead and 90's Thom vocals will undoubtedly hear that these are classic 90's Thom vocals.

i mean, it's seriously not even debatable.

these are unreleased songs from the OKC era.

if they had new vocals from 2016/2017 Thom then that would negate that this is old, unreleased material.

production polishing is one thing but adding new vocals is something else entirely.

Thom does NOT and can not sing this way anymore.

It sounds nothing like 2017 Thom.

Hell it doesn't even sound like 2008 Thom.

Bought the CD.

I was apprehensive about this but CD2 is worth the investment. It's not just the three new songs, several of the B Sides are beautiful, slow burners. Track 4 is a stunner. As is the last track which feels like True Love Waits off AMSP. For me the litmus test was whether the second CD stood up almost like a proper album, and it nearly does, so that's a tick for me. The price wasn't worth it if it was just for three tracks, and of course I've already got OKC, so for me it was all about the overall strength of the 11 tracks on CD2 and overall I think the 11 tracks sit nicely together.

lol fucking christ man.

THESE ARE NOT NEW VOCALS.   

anyone with half a fucking decent ear for music and familiar with 90's radiohead and 90's Thom vocals will undoubtedly hear that these are classic 90's Thom vocals.

i mean, it's seriously not even debatable.

these are unreleased songs from the OKC era.

if they had new vocals from 2016/2017 Thom then that would negate that this is old, unreleased material.

production polishing is one thing but adding new vocals is something else entirely.

Thom does NOT and can not sing this way anymore.

It sounds nothing like 2017 Thom.

Hell it doesn't even sound like 2008 Thom.

€10 says vocals are new. due when there is some sort of official confirmation. is you in or is you in?

if the vocals are 100% new thom went out of his way to sound like ok computer era thom and did a pretty good job of it. i won't deny they sound more restrained in some spots though. i wouldn't be shocked to find out he rerecorded some phrases.

which weirdly works with current radiohead given the tone and lyrical themes of amsp. and it's a really touching gift to dedicated fans. i'm choosing to think they were conscious about that when they decided to release these.

I think so, and that's a nice way to look at it. But I hope they don't go too far with it. Like, penny and I were talking on twitter last night about their Glasto set, at which they played only two AMSP songs, and didn't play any of the "new" unreleased OKC tracks. Their live shows are always great for being proud of the new material and I can think of little else more depressing than Radiohead becoming a nostalgia act

I would sort of be ok with it. Radiohead have released so much of my favourite music, and they've always been surprising, and in that sense I think they've done more than enough, more than I ever deserved, and if they decided to kick back and just enjoy their music without the stress of breaking ground, I'd find that understandable.

That said, I don't think it's particularly likely, festival sets are often sets for their big hits right? The feeling AMSP gave me and this has only reinforced is that the band are nearly done, but I guess time will tell.

All I know for sure is that I'm super happy to hear 'new' studio material from this era of Radiohead, the one that got me into the band in the first place

would be nice if they played more off amsp but i didn't even notice they only played 2 till this morning and it's my favourite album, shows you how much i enjoyed the performance

They played more than half of OKC and 2-3 from every other album so I reckon it's more they were encouraging the OKC nostalgia/promoting the rerelease. Plus as tj said, festival setlists tend to be their least adventurous anyway.