I really hope we don't get I Froze Up on a Kid Amnesiac version of this. It deserves better. Thom having played it as recently as 2010 gives me some hope that they still bring it out the basement on occasion.

hmmm. just my immediate observation, but i feel like there's a bit more of unwanted high frequency distortion (read: crackles) in these remasters as compared to the original.  Listen to the original Lull and the remaster back to back.

Hopefully it's just my headphones, but it probably isn't. I'll have to give it a real try after work on the home stereo system.

Vocals on I Promise most definitely sound like 90s Thom. 

I'm mainly loving the remastered versions of Polyethylene and Pearly along with all the bsides on here really. 

it's so deeply satisfying to hear man of war like this... but i'm not hearing any of this talk about it sounding more modern or whatever. it sounds like the old bootleg version of it to me pretty much to the letter. which i have no problem with. maybe the post production is more modern which would make sense given they're releasing it ~20 years later. i guess it sounds newer the longer it goes on, as the piano and orchestra gets layered on, so maybe that stuff got added recently? but maybe i just associate orchestral shit with amsp by default now. anyway it's gorgeous.

i'll have to listen to lift later.

I can't really see Radiohead wanting to record in the style of 90s Radiohead, I'm pretty sure it's all old Radiohead but nee Nigel. It's possible that the vocals are a mix of old and new if there were perhaps segments of vocals that were bad in the original recordings. Ultimately I don't care either way, I'm VERY happy with the end result of all three songs

yeah. the vocals are definitely new, and that's what i miss the most - the crazy youthful urgency. the vocal is sadthom here. it's nice and i like the new man o'war but it has a completely different feel to it, even if formally it is essentially the same.

i also have a feeling that jonny had really limited input in this version. the strings are really upfront and, i dunno, obvious i guess. and the guitars feel really clean and sparkly. it totally feels like they did this polished version of an old tune for bond, got rejected, thought "fuck it, we're going balls out for this" and came up with spectre.

i miss the double tracked what a naaaasty SUR PRISE from mpie. still hope we might end up with that version one day, when the vaults finally open forreal

THOM: 

we've been trying

to reach you,

thom.

ED:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

THOM:

the smell of ed's conditioner

ED:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

THOM:

the phils are belly up

ED:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

THOM:

empty all your colins

cause it's thom

to come home

Listened to NOTOK straight through on the drive to work this morning. It makes it really clear why these are all B-sides/unreleased.

With a bit of tweaking for flow this could've been released as a follow up to The Bends with potentially massive success. It sounds like it would have been a good bridge between The Bends and OKC and maybe made the latter less impactful when it came out because the evolution would've been more gradual. It's sort of the kind of album Blur would have followed up with.

But they aspired to something more artistically challenging so we got OKC instead. It's sort of a mystery to me why I Promise never got a B-side release before this, it fits in well with the rest of the pack. Lift I can see why this still wasn't released. Assuming they're Thom's vocals from back then it sounds like this was a really, really rough laying down of a track, more of a placeholder than a finished product.

lift really that bad?

everything else i agreed on 100%

I didn't think it was bad, just that it was more of a demo than a polished track, especially considering the production on OKC. It's a great song but they didn't know what to do to make it fit their evolving sound and the demo doesn't have the intimate charm of HIMMM so it was never worth putting on anything (pure speculation of course).

hey all, got here a bit late so sorry if this question has been asked, but why did they call it OKNOTOK? (i would guess something with politics (: )

Vocals on I Promise most definitely sound like 90s Thom. 

I'm mainly loving the remastered versions of Polyethylene and Pearly along with all the bsides on here really. 

any differences? seems to me like the old ones. (good old ones of course!)