Pickled Dog

#DearThom

Really beautiful open letter asking Radiohead to cancel their Israel shows.

I'm sure there'll be fans here on both sides and others who'll have an opinion on this either way. Curious to know people's thoughts.

this was extremely touching. i do hope radiohead see this, even if cancelling the israel shows at this point would cause a huge shitstorm. i remember talking about this to ayi and how disappointing it felt to see them make the choice to tour there. thanks for posting the video : )

response on social media has been... mixed, to say the least. i'm sure they'll see it though. not sure if it's gone "viral" as such yet but so many people on twitter especially sending it to the band's accounts directly.

They're gonna take town the Israeli government u fuckin plebs lol

Thom is 10 , no, 15 steps ahead

Yeah, they will do the show regardless of how much backlash develops preceding the concert. Because I'm sure they believe that music is powerful and beneficial to all groups of society regardless of the their present political climate and therefore can do no harm. 

I am assuming they will go anyways but give some kind of peace message during the show.

this is all part of the critique of the video though. "peace message" sounds like a euphemism for "vague apolitical platitude".

compared to Thom's frequent display of the Tibetan flag (is it still a fixture...?) which is/was a pretty explicit message, to share the flag of an "unrecognised" state.

personally, not a big fan of Israel's actions against Palestine, and it does seem weird of Thom considering his unabashed political activism on so many other issues.

the video says it all perfectly i think. and a little message during the show(s) is not enough.

lol what

I'm basically saying that I would support the band's decision to play in Israel, because I don't think their presence would necessarily normalize the injustice in Israel. I think Radiohead's music, and most music in general, is a positive force that can do no harm. What's the harm in them playing their show? Also, what's to be gained from them cancelling? 

This article claims that Radiohead's decision is the right one and that ''the (open letter) offers shallow accusations, comparing Israel to apartheid-era South Africa and calling out Radiohead for ignoring a call to “stand against the denial” of Palestinian rights — painting the Jewish state as the only side to blame in the conflict...''

http://www.jta.org/2017/04/28/arts-entertainment/why-radioheads-israel-show-matters

'Waters may be an old-timer whose music hasn’t been particularly relevant since the 1970s,'

i love how the pro israel side always always tries to marginalize roger waters by using some form of the word 'relevance.' how he, or by proxy his music, is either irrelevant now, or no longer relevant. 

you can sell more than 250 million records. you can have the 3rd largest selling record of all time on your list of achievements, one that still, 44 years later, sells at a steady pace of 8,000 copies a week. you can wrap the highest grossing tour in history by a solo artist a mere 3 1/2 years ago, playing a 30 year old album live. you can be the rock hero and inspiration for generations of new musicians. but if you're 73 years old and criticize israel then you are called an irrelevant old-timer. that's why you are mentioned in every single article that discusses the topic. gotta try to make people think you are a has-been in order to bolster their defense.

seems to me if roger waters is mentioned every time the subject comes up, for being the most vocal and well known leader of the boycott, then he is quite clearly, very relevant.

I'd like something that I truly love not to be dragged into some youtube clickbait political wankerisms. 

I am not sure Radiohead approve of everything happens in the other countries they go to. There are fans in Isreal who deserve to listen to the music they love. 

For fuck sake, they have two Isreali support acts.