Sign in to follow this  
Tim77

Radiohead on vinyl

I turned 40 this month and got a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable for my birthday  :)

First thing I played on it was my special edition of A Moon Shaped Pool. It sounds amazing. Not sure what all the fuss is about the mastering/pressing job...

Anyway, I'm keen to progressively pick up most of the band's discography on vinyl, working backwards. Especially excited about The King of LimbsIn Rainbows, Amnesiac and Kid A.

Any I should steer clear of that sound sub-par?

Thanks in advance!

I have In Rainbows and The King of Limbs on vinyl, and they sound great, but to be honest, I don't usually notice that much difference between records vs CDs, and I think most cassettes sound really good, too, so I may not be a great judge.

i wouldn't categorise myself as any sort of audiophile but the newest xl reissues of kid a and amnesiac sound great to me, okc fine, the bends just ok. i also have a weird marbled pink edition of pablo honey (generally considered to be their best album) that i think is some sort of knockoff. €75, it's all yours.

WHY THEY HAVE TO DO THEM AS 10"s THO IT BUGS ME

really bugs me too

I have a few vinyl. Only listened to Kid A tho. The rest I would put near my vinyl player as its totally shit. 

Will invest on a good set up when I get my own house...in my 50s 

Is it safe to assume they don't make their albums with vinyl in mind? I'm remembering TKoL and how I had to flip between codex and give up the ghost. That segue is one of my favorite moments on the album. They could have solved that by putting it on 33s right? Also, I haven't listened to AMSP on vinyl but I can imagine lots of the great transitions get broken up.

Is it safe to assume they don't make their albums with vinyl in mind? I'm remembering TKoL and how I had to flip between codex and give up the ghost. That segue is one of my favorite moments on the album. They could have solved that by putting it on 33s right? Also, I haven't listened to AMSP on vinyl but I can imagine lots of the great transitions get broken up.

The standard edition of TKOL is a single record, so the segue isn't interrupted. Surprised they hadn't considered this with the special edition...

I bought Vespertine the other day and that breaks the segue between 'Frosti' and 'Aurora' between sides, which is bloody annoying.