Sign in to follow this  
c0nsilience

Do you have a hard time listening to the studio albums after seeing them live?

Having been a pretty dedicated fan since 1994/1995, but not seeing them live until 2003, I had years to really absorb the released material and nothing to contrast it with.  That being said, once I saw them live, two things happened:

A. They ruined me proverbially on any other band, live.

B. The studio albums (up to that point, which was HTTT), just weren't the same anymore.

I've always view bands in a certain context with quite a few of them sucking live; good ones being as decent as their studio recordings; the few stellar ones transcending the studio.  Radiohead clearly falls into the last category.  Something about the energy flow between band and audience, it just cannot be beat.

I'm not saying that I don't like the albums, but the live experience is how I feel RH should be ingested, if you will.

Does anyone else feel similarly?

nope. Unless they perform a song that blows the studio version out of the water. I was kind of in your position because I latched on to Radiohead 'round OK Computer and didn't see them until 2012 but I barely remember any of it which is pretty annoying.

Sad?  That wasn't the intent.  I'm not sure that I worded it correctly.  From a musician's perspective, a studio album is a snapshot in time, frozen and unchanging; whereas live is 100% in the moment.  Not any different than a picture of the grand canyon vs. really being there, I suppose.

So, when I was finally album to catch the band in 2003, some of the songs they played that had been recorded a decade earlier, had a much more visceral feel.  Creep completely blew me away live and, for example, Fake Plastic Trees rocked out much, much harder than the album cut.

What I've noticed with RH, more so than any other band I've seen, is that while I was a fan off of the albums, the live experience just about redefined my perception of music.  'Influenced' isn't a strong enough word.

If the post WWII generation had Radiohead back then, they wouldn't have needed LSD to expand the consciousness!

The only live version to ruin the studio version for me is Bangers + Mash. Generally, as great as they are live, they sound better in the studio.

I feel completely opposite. :)  While the studio albums are great, the energy from a live show just isn't there.  For example, so far on the 2017 tour, Thom's voice is so much better live.

live versions are a lot less abstract by design so probably more accessible, so I kind of get it. I frequently listen to the ir and tkol basement albums. overall though, studio radiohead has that magic that makes them radiohead

I just remember thinking how much better tkol songs were live, other than that there weren't any songs they played that I would say changed how I feel about the studio version.

Mmmmmm not really.

Like all bands, I fell in love with the studio versions but enjoy the variations and what they bring to the song live.

idioteque for example is one of the best songs ever but live its this different beasts.

I am selfish, I want all the different versions.

Yeah so many Radiohead songs are attempting to achieve a totally different vibe or energy or mood on the album versus when played live. I usually find the studio versions to be much more intricate and subtle and affecting, so I don't have this issue at all.

.  Not any different than a picture of the grand canyon vs. really being there, I suppose.

I don't think that's a fair analogy. They put in so much effort into refining the music on their albums that playing it live is a different Radiohead experience all together because playing live can never capture the harmony presented in the studio recordings. The best example of this is the material on The King Of Limbs, when played live the songs become something else, bringing a different energy and a different perspective on the original recordings.

...bringing a different energy and a different perspective on the original recordings.

That's what I mean.  'Different' to me, equates to better.

As a musician, a song that I recorded ten years ago is not anywhere near as appealing as playing it live now.  I've got a decade's more worth of experience and perspective and the kodak moment from back then has a lot less feeling in it than now.  I've grown and so has my representation of the material.

Do you not suppose the members of Radiohead feel similarly when they are playing The Bends era or OKC era songs now?  If not, why does Fake Plastic Trees have an altogether different feel live in 2017 than the canned version from 1994/95?

Maybe it's just from the perspective of being a musician, but I'm not sure.

That's what I mean.  'Different' to me, equates to better.

As a musician, a song that I recorded ten years ago is not anywhere near as appealing as playing it live now.  I've got a decade's more worth of experience and perspective and the kodak moment from back then has a lot less feeling in it than now.  I've grown and so has my representation of the material.

Do you not suppose the members of Radiohead feel similarly when they are playing The Bends era or OKC era songs now?  If not, why does Fake Plastic Trees have an altogether different feel live in 2017 than the canned version from 1994/95?

Maybe it's just from the perspective of being a musician, but I'm not sure.

Well for me one isn't necessarily better than the other and I think both the preserved ''snapshot'' and the live performance have their merits. For instance I love hearing how Lotus Flower or Bloom has changed in recent performances in subtle ways because who the band are now, through their instrumentation they turn it in a different direction with a fresh energy. However that isn't to say that I love the ''snapshot'' any less, if anything I love it more because I know ultimately that's where the energy is rooted in. I appreciate how it grows but I also appreciate where it's rooted in.

Perhaps as a musician you would have more of an appreciation for the live performance. Maybe it's because Radiohead never really has a live raw approach to their albums, it's always meticulously crafted. The closest thing they have to a live sounding album is The King Of Limbs From The Basement and a lot of people prefer this version over the original because it's more raw and spontaneous. I've seen them twice, in a small venue in 2011 and a big one in 2012 and all I can say is for me both the album experience and the live one go hand in hand, I leave with a bigger appreciation for their work!