Sign in to follow this  
c0nsilience

Kansas City - 4.5.17 - Oh yeah!! :)

Hi All,

Well, this will be my fourth time to see Radiohead (twice in 2003 HTTT; once in 2008 IR era). So yeah, I'm stoked as hell!

The really cool thing is that I'm bringing my 71 year old Dad and my 12 year old son, both of which happen to be huge Radiohead fans.  The 12 year old is really big into music, so I think this might ruin him for future concerts (i.e., Radiohead is the gold standard), but I think it's going to blow his mind.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of you there and enjoying an evening of pure inspiration!

Hi All,

Well, this will be my fourth time to see Radiohead (twice in 2003 HTTT; once in 2008 IR era). So yeah, I'm stoked as hell!

The really cool thing is that I'm bringing my 71 year old Dad and my 12 year old son, both of which happen to be huge Radiohead fans.  The 12 year old is really big into music, so I think this might ruin him for future concerts (i.e., Radiohead is the gold standard), but I think it's going to blow his mind.

I'm looking forward to seeing all of you there and enjoying an evening of pure inspiration!

awesome story.  

let us know how they enjoy it.  i will keep my eyes out for three generations.

Sounds like you'll have a great time.  I too am getting super pumped to see them this Saturday in Atlanta.  Will be my 13th time seeing them.

13 is such a great number.  Enjoy my friend!

awesome story.  

let us know how they enjoy it.  i will keep my eyes out for three generations.

Thanks man!  We'll be in the section 117 area.  I, unfortunately, missed them in 2012.  With speculation that AMSP might be their last record and their last tour, I couldn't miss them this go around.

I'm going to be in section 201. The tickets sold out so quickly, I didn't have a chance to get anything better without selling an arm and a leg, but I've never seen them before, so I'm still quite excited. To be quite honest, I hadn't been listening to them much recently, but I've been playing AMSP a lot and I've got the King of Limbs in the car, and my anticipation is building. Hopefully, it will not be their last tour, but if it is at least I'll get to see them the once.

Yeah, I know they have a reputation for being a great live band. I just always missed them for one reason or another, despite being such a long time fan. When I was younger I truly couldn't afford to go and I usually lived too far away, anyway, but I'm more financially stable now, and the stars have aligned. I overpaid for the ticket, because they said it was sold out (now tickets are magically available from the venue again), but I knew it was something that I have to do. This is twenty years in the making.

They are at their prime, so there wouldn't have been a better time to see them than now! :)

Don't feel bad, the first time I saw them was in 2003 with the HTTT tour.  I very much overpaid for a ticket and traveled halfway across the country to see them.  100% worth it on all accounts.  I didn't know how good they were live, back then, I just knew that I absolutely wanted to see them.  Well, I was completely blown away!  Even though I'd been a fan for a long time, seeing them live, ruined me on other bands.  They sounded phenomenal and the audience was completely different than any other concert I've been to...hard to describe, but everyone was just so stoked to be there.  Not a typical rock crowd, but not a typical hipster crowd either.  Unique! :)

Some scalper just randomly gave me a ticket that he couldn't sell. Moved from 201 to 106. What a world of a difference!

that's some great luck!

hope it was awesome. glad you got to see them.

daydreaming

desert island disk

ful stop

airbag

15 step

the national anthem 

separator

all i need

street spirit

bloom 

i might be wrong

identikit

arpeggi

idioteque

where i end and you begin

lucky 

the present tense(immaculate performance)

give up the ghost

burn the witch

reckoner

fake plastic trees

nude

you and whose army

karma police

there there

Great show!  Perfectly mixed sound made it quite incredible.

The audience was fairly motionless, but I think that is due to many of them trying to process what they are seeing! lol

It's been my best live RH experience thus far.

I definitely enjoyed the show. I don't agree that they are better live, but it was certainly a unique experience and some of the songs were quite different. If they come again, I won't hesitate to see them.

'better live'

that doesnt really even make sense to me 

its like saying that a souffle made on the fly in an airport bathroom with only some bleached flour and an egg and a portable oven is somehow better than a gourmet souffle, when really it jus takes more talent to make a souffle on the fly and some people respect that more than a souffle made in a kitchen and thats okay

I think it's a musician thing, guys.  

• Studio Recording = days, weeks, months, years, overdubs, multiple takes, polish (if the producer sucks), studio session guys (if the artist(s) sucks) ;
  • Live = real, in the moment, created in front of you, no overdubs, visceral, lighting, energy, energy, energy...if they suck or are 'going through the motions' you can tell.

Your senses are the only filter when it's live.  With a studio album, it's a representation of a performance, filtered, stamped, processed and then it makes it to your ears.

Yeah, I think it's a musician thing.  :icon_surp

I wouldn't say it's a musician thing. It's more a matter of taste. As a musician, I can definitely respect the challenge of performing live, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I appreciate the end result more. A lot would depend on what kind of musician you are or what kind of music you make. You could have overdubs or backing tracks in your music and still have a live feel, and you could have live performance that still has a lot of manipulation. The performances of Radiohead would be as good an example as any. Thom can't naturally loop his vocals, for example, and the audio is carefully amplified and mixed (i.e. processed), not to mention that they still use a lot of effects and random equipment and things. It's not like Radiohead live is solo Thom or something (except maybe in rare circumstances). Also live performances are generally going to be heavily rehearsed with the exception of a few genres. Radiohead doesn't sound to me like they are doing a lot of improvisation live. It sounds more spontaneous than the recordings that you've heard a bunch of times, because you're familiar with those already, and I think this is what makes seeing a band live might feeler fresher, but if it's a good studio recording it'll have those same elements of surprise, and you may just need to listen to it a bit less to appreciate it again. Like I said before, I hadn't been listening to Radiohead much in the last few years, so the albums all sound really fresh to me again now. When I say that the live experience isn't necessarily better, it's because I appreciate the albums so much. Obviously, the live experience is great as well, though, because you'll get something slightly different each time. That's why I go to concerts, but for me, when it's an artist that I already know, it's more of an extension of the recorded music than something to replace it. It's a chance to pay your respect to the artist and be around other people that feel the same, and in that way, going to a live event is almost about more than the actual performance to me (as long as it doesn't suck).