helsabot

slack.app

awesome group of people of course, but too much scrolling and reading and the content is too ephemeral. takes too much time and attention to participate in the discussion.

if i ever want to join in a real time discussion i know where to go. but i'm not even starting the app anymore.

hopefully everyone will continue to post here on the real MT. especially in our twin peaks thread.

If Jonathan improves the board, then I might post more, but even before I started using MT slack I was posting here less. It just doesn't feel like a vital community anymore.

If Jonathan improves the board, then I might post more, but even before I started using MT slack I was posting here less. It just doesn't feel like a vital community anymore.

i'm not sure what the infrastructure problems are. seems to work fine for me except for the very occasional times i can't connect.

as far as traffic goes idk what to say about that. maybe the styling could use a refresh but i kind of like the classic look just fine. maybe a couple of appearance options would be nice. something ok_computer blue.

i'm not sure what the infrastructure problems are. seems to work fine for me except for the very occasional times i can't connect.

as far as traffic goes idk what to say about that. maybe the styling could use a refresh but i kind of like the classic look just fine. maybe a couple of appearance options would be nice. something ok_computer blue.

i don't mind the styling, but why can't we use embeds? why is the mobile site so shit? etc

i don't mind the styling, but why can't we use embeds? why is the mobile site so shit? etc

mmm ok. i see. i have noticed we can't use embeds, but hadn't noticed about the mobile site because i've never used it. i always use a regular computer or a tablet.

comparing apples to oranges, but idk how i could possibly read slack on an iphone lol. not sure a day goes by when i don't at some point need 2 pairs of glasses, or my glasses and a magnifying lens to read small print.

There's all kinds of little things that bother me about the site after not using it as frequently. For instance, why can't you mention another user? The only way you can ensure that someone sees a post that you make is by sending a private message. Difficulty with sharing files is another thing. If the community itself had more traffic or whatever, then I would put up with it, but when nearly everyone that I like talking to on here is part of the Slack community, it just doesn't make any sense to visit both places I'll miss a few people like yourself or Will, but I just don't enjoy posting on MT as much as I used to.

There's all kinds of little things that bother me about the site after not using it as frequently. For instance, why can't you mention another user? The only way you can ensure that someone sees a post that you make is by sending a private message. Difficulty with sharing files is another thing. If the community itself had more traffic or whatever, then I would put up with it, but when nearly everyone that I like talking to on here is part of the Slack community, it just doesn't make any sense to visit both places I'll miss a few people like yourself or Will, but I just don't enjoy posting on MT as much as I used to.

thanks.

how do you insure another user sees your comment in slack -- by making a thread? admittedly i didn't spend enough time trying to figure out that aspect, but it seemed to me like a constant stream, and if you missed something then you have to either scroll back 24 hours or miss what was said. didn't see how 'mentions' worked.

it's really the scrolling back, and the amount of posts that are off-putting for me, plus not knowing how to have a focused discussion on a topic without all the scrolling.

i'll probably come back in, but it did seem to take a lot of time and effort to bring a single point of interest into focus.

i think i've been comfortable with MT because it's mostly on-topic and easier to see what has been contributed to a specific thread during the span of a day. 

well i use an iphone app for slack ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

glasses14_2_lg16x9.jpg

i figured out that i can increase the font size by using it in a browser window instead of the app, but the app works a lot faster. back-scrolling in firefox is pretty sluggish. maybe chrome or IE will support it better.

You can type @ before a username to send a notification to another user, or even just type the username. For example, you would type '@brian' or 'brian' to notify myself. This could be done on a message board, as that's a feature over at The Annex TM, but MT doesn't have anything like that. I honestly, get a lot of misdirected notifications, since Brian is a fairly common name, but it's still a nice feature.

I do understand that it can be a struggle to read everything that's posted on Slack, and I honestly, don't think it's intended for that. I had a hard time adjusting to it at first, and I did decide that I wouldn't use it, but then I noticed that a lot of people over there don't post here much at all, so I went back, and I've grown to like the pace of it. Sometimes, though, I just have to mark things as read. Sometimes, it is a bit frustrating knowing that I'm missing a lot of good Twin Peaks discussion, but the reality is that even on a message board, I'll miss a lot of discussion simply by virtue of being busy with other things. I do also like that it's more in the moment, and the use of reactions is something I miss a lot on MT.

On a side note, another reason why I don't really like to use this message board right now is that when I just clicked to view "New Content," nearly every thread was spam of some kind. I know Jonathan has promised to fix that, but it's desperately needed.