Sign in to follow this  
FDT

Revisiting AMSP - a major surprise for me

I recently revisited AMSP, after not playing it for quite some time, and I have two observations to make ...

1. It is definitely one of their best albums (personally it might go down as my favourite RH album), which IMO is due to the band having matured in recent times (I thought the second half of TKOLs was some of their best work and AMSP is really a continuation of that creative evolution)

2. Incredibly, the two songs that initially I didn't like the most on AMSP, the ones that (I believe) are the only 2 new songs written for the album - Desert Island Disk and The Numbers - I now think are the two best tracks on the album, perhaps alongside Present Tense which I feel is the biggest and most intricate track on the album (the way the song comes back to the chorus 'You are lost' is very cleverly done, like a great comedian who's jokes come full circle in a live show). Listening to Desert Island Disk and The Numbers now, I think they are exceptionally beautiful tracks, both slow burners, almost Hitchcockian in the way they build dramatic momentum. I think when I first heard these two songs, they didn't appeal to me much because they seemed a bit too slow, to the point of being dull and certainly not striking in an instant gratification way, but in time I have realised that this is what makes them such great tracks - they're tracks that take their time getting to the sweet spot, and where the actual journey itself is just as good as the destination. If anything I think it is a massive shame that the band didn't write more new songs for the album, and instead re-hashed old tracks. I can only imagine how good a whole album written (and importantly recorded) in the manner of AMSPs Desert Island Disk and The Numbers would be like. Again in priasing and talking about these two songs, I keep coming back to this creative maturity I talk about that IMO had its genesis on TKOLs - in fact arguably it started before that on HTTT, with tracks like Scatterbrain. In my view, tracks like Scatterbrain, Codex, Give Up The Ghost, Separator, Desert Island Disk and The Numbers, are all based on a more patient approach to song writing , where the songs are given plenty of space and time to breath. These tracks evolve in an almost organic manner. I would argue it is a far cry from the early 2000s when the band felt a need to try and be different, as IMO even the slow electronic tracks felt rushed in a conceptual way - like a rush to impress. I know a lot of people here love their electronic forays and so I certainly don't want to be dissing that (indeed, I loved the first 2 tracks off Kid A, and appreciated Hunting Bears and Like Spinning Plates), but personally I much prefer the new Radiohead, the one that seems to me to be maturing like a great bottle of red. 

Le's hope AMSP isn't their last album,. and they make a new album one day full of tracks like Desert Island Disk and The Numbers.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if they made a left turn on the next LP. Monsterish post Automatic. Drone. A 12min piece. Jonny scoring Jazz instruments.

songs like tinker tailor are just completely in control of how you feel and they know it

like the song is going "i'm going to keep the tension going for about... this long, and then i'm gonna unleash the strings right about now"

It's maybe a song too long, but otherwise a muted, sad album which I very much enjoy when I listen to it.

Why do people always think they know how long a RH album should be?   We've waited since 2011 for a new RH album and you're going to complain that it's one song too many? Is it really just one song too many or it's just the music snob in people who wants to nit pick an album apart?.

Don't be a dufus. An album is too long to someone if it feels like it drags or if they feel like they get all they want from the album before it ends. Don't just call people snobs just coz you don't agree or because someone has levelled a criticism at the album

Why do people always think they know how long a RH album should be?   We've waited since 2011 for a new RH album and you're going to complain that it's one song too many? Is it really just one song too many or it's just the music snob in people who wants to nit pick an album apart?.

Through the magical, mystical process of listening I determine my subjective impressions of music.

AMSP is an excellent album.  Radiohead appears to be one of the few bands ever that really does showcase their musical evolution on subsequent releases.  Giving birth to progress while shedding formulas, cannot be an easy feat.  Kudos to RH for raising the bar on just about everything else out there.

They are musicians, musicians and I sincerely believe that folks will listen to their records for many decades, if not centuries, to come.

sheesh way to be an over-analytical blowhard over a completely innocuous post

first u go to the cliffs and throw down your head onto a softish rock in the right spot behind the phalanges so you experience the album like the first time he visited cus u temporarily forget u guys did..then when ur amnesia wears off u say to ur album experience hey wait a minute!youre revisiting me, u swindled me , cus u keep forgetting youve bought this album 200 times already. then u put him on ur album shelf to try to remember to stop letting him visit u that often cus u need more time for to be with your children

yea the kids are sleeping on the floor for a month or two and not dead, kinda bunched up like cats. their breathing has a rhythm like a rainbow. its dusk. the moon is cycling through all its stages. there is the constant sound of a van leaving. in ur mind youre licking cents and then the music comes through you wake up and its very pretty and you go under again. and now the kids grandma is sleeping in the bunch too. your tongue is stretching out like a flow of water and where it taps ur limbs they start moving. and its like this that ur being walked around the sleeping bunch like a puppet