Wormme

Rachel Owen, Thom's ex-partner passed away this Sunday

I was just talking about this with my husband a couple months ago. I was saying how scary it was that people could just grow apart after being together for two decades, it only made me think that love is bullshit and nothing is to be trusted. If it made me feel that way, I said, I wonder how their kids thought about it. Probably will never put any effort in any relationship because of this doubt and fear of inevitable end.

I didn't know or think then that it might have been more complicated than that. Thom and the rest of them have always been reticent regarding their personal lives. They all must have gone through a lot without letting the media dip its claws.

Guess I'm just finding this all too shocking. It's like deja vu, hearing about David Bowie's death and seeing the album in a whole new ominous and poignant light. AMSP is unbelievably disarming and vulnerable, and this makes it even more so.

Sorry I'm being garrulous. It's been a rough week and I'm struggling to make sense of life.

Busy busy busy.

i feel the same about it

this is the saddest thing

48 is wayyy too young. 

and now the kids...in their teens...without a mom. 

i don't know how close Thom is with his kids (emotionally, proximity etc) but hope they are going to be ok...

Some people can be really inconsiderate but it is easy to make assumptions if you know nothing about that person's private life. All I'm hoping is that Thom and the family are not checking the media so they don't see all this negativity.

48...absolutely too soon. Listening to AMSP with new ears today, and it's incredibly sad. Hopeful for their children, especially around this holiday season.

Ill be honest, thats a long post and I only read about a third, but the way I see it, songs, albums and any other artform have two levels of meaning - intent and interpretation. I would argue that intent really isn't very important at all, except to the creator. Even then as someone who makes music I can say that some songs I've written feel more relevant to me now than they did at the time. The only ABOUT I care about with AMSP is how it feels to me. How Thom and the band were able to take their own unseen emotions and turn them into something that I personally can relate to, regardless of how similar or different my experiences and feelings are from theirs.

All that said, a sadly predictable thing about Rachel's passing is all the thinkpieces about what this means with regards to AMSP, Radiohead and Thom. The nature of the digital era is that nothing is given time to breathe. As Denzel put it in a recent interview, the most important thing today is being the first to have something to say.

Fuck all that. It's not my business. I don't care about Thom's personal life in any way other than he's a man who's made music that's incredibly important to me, and it's heartbreaking that a tragedy has befallen someone that means a lot to me.

Yeah they were but there's a difference between an album dropping and someone dying. Thom's hardly ever been open about Rachel in interviews and with good reason, it's not our business. Rachel wasn't a celebrity and she hadn't signed up for it, so I find all that stuff, making her passing a part of the narrative of a pop album, pretty insensitive.

Even the existence of threads mentioning her is/was uncomfortable, although they have been about more positive things in the past when they were together and she was alive- like fans appreciating Rachel's photography and art. We only know her in relation to Thom's music. Dante has been a huge inspiration on Thom's art through Rachel. And we know she was the one who told him, "if you try the best you can..." and I just remembered, she was the one who loved the water droplets sound and told him to use that version of Ingenue. :wub:

Hey, where did you find all that info? Would love to read more about that

Oh man, I'm already seeing people give Thom shit for touring earlier this year instead of being with her.

People can be mighty cynical.

There's a guy out there in the world right now having to reconcile the fact that someone he loved dearly is gone.

And there are two kids out there who have lost their mother way sooner than they should have.

Just human beings. I hope they can feel the support, love, and empathy out there.

I don't know why people feel it's different for Thom versus everyone else who has lost loved ones while also maintaining a career.  Should a guy working a 9 to 5 stop working for months on ends because his wife was dying of cancer?

Radiohead is Thom's band and his mates are his professional partners and friends and this is what they do for a living. 

Do we really want Thom sitting away somewhere in some room staring out of a window? He's coping by doing what he does best and that is to make beautiful music with his mates.

Insensitive snowflakes and jerks and the lots of everyone with half a mind will always say stupid things on the internet.

They don't know what it's like to be in someone's head anyway and it is easy to fire up a computer and spout off judgmental bullshit.

Such devastating news.

My prayers and thoughts are with Thom, Agnes, and Noah as they grieve...

True Love Waits is so much more poignant now.

Perhaps there was another meaning for ending the album with it other than the break up...

Just don't leave...

:( :( :( :(