Sign in to follow this  
RememberWhenIWasElijahHaha

nico rosberg retires

This is quite the bombshell. Many theories as to why but I don't really doubt his explanation that he's achieved his goal, it's taken a lot out of him and now he wants to be with his family.

We'd been looking at one of the most consolidated driver markets ever going into the winter break with only a manor drive and maybe one at sauber available. Either Werhlein gets a dramatic promotion or someone gets out of a contract (I'm looking at you Alonso). It's not all that unlikely either that Button would do a u-turn to get a championship contending car at his old team.

Werhlein is the most likely and easiest, but he's probably not fast enough to be a proper rival for Hamilton and Merc don't want a number one number two driver situation

Alonso would happily leave McLaren at this point i'm sure, but not sure how keen Hamilton and Alonso would be on being teammates, and you have to buy out his (probably lucrative) contract to get him. certainly one of, if not the, fastest drivers though so would be guaranteed success

the third option is Bottas, who Toto manages, but not sure how easy it would be to get him off Williams and whether there's any appetite for that. he hasn't been hugely impressive against Massa who has been busy winding down for retirement

the only thing making me doubt wehrlein is mercedes' decision to put ocon in the force india over him, they probably regret that now tbf, but they clearly think wehrlein isn't ready for the step up

absolutely - the constructors is number one priority

if red bull are as strong as everyone assumes they'll be next season, given their lineup they'll be looking for 2 drivers on the podium in lots of races

if it's hamilton and wehrlein in a car that's either as fast or slightly slowly than the red bull, you'd certainly expect hamilton to win races, but wehrlein? if other teams keep improving and the gap gets smaller, does wehrlein have the speed to get the car in the top 3 consistently? my feeling would be no

they would have been ok with hamilton and wehrlein this season probably, but next season will be a bit of a mix up