Sign in to follow this  
Radioheader377

Is Jonny Greenwood instrumentalist or can he only play piano and guitar?

We already see Jonny Greenwood playing many different instruments, like ondes martenot, but there's a difference between being able to play an instrument in general  and being able to play some songs on an instrument. For example, you can play some songs on piano or guitar you learned from youtube but you ain't a piano or guitar player, you just can play some songs. So I was wondering.. Do you think Jonny really can play all these types of instruments?!

Are you asking if Jonny learned to play the ondes on youtube?

He plays banjo and harmonica and viola and recorder as well (non exhaustive list). And though there aren't a lot of professional ondes players he's up there alongside them. He's also written some of the only contemporary reportoire for the ondes.

The longer I think about the question asked the more ridiculous it seems.

Well first off, anyone can play guitar - so let's get that out of the way.

Secondly, whatever you're trying to say about Jonny - let's agree that the man is a musical virtuoso. His ability to go from lead guitar in a 90s grunge band to composer of award winning orchestration should tell you all you need to know.

like ondes martenot, but there's a difference between being able to play an instrument in general  and being able to play some songs on an instrument.

is there?

I think the distinction that OP is trying to make is between an instrumentalist and a songwriter, maybe?

The person I've heard Jonny refer to in this regard is Neil Young – he doesn't pick up an instrument to become more proficient on that instrument, he picks it up to write a song.

Although all the members of Radiohead are pretty proficient on their instruments from playing together for over 20 years, they're using them in the service of the songs rather than striving to be technically advanced.