Sign in to follow this  
Sean A

Open Letter to Radiohead

dude trust me. it was a tough call. but i don't give any fucks about RHCP and i didn't want to pay for two weekend passes to only go two days, plus the extra hotel night and i would have had to take off monday

i know i know

Good call, in my opinion.

You gotta want it.

B B King was laying down life lessons when he said you gotta pay the cost to be the boss.

Quit being a bitch and get after it.

I did get after it...went last night and will go Monday night.

dude trust me. it was a tough call. but i don't give any fucks about RHCP and i didn't want to pay for two weekend passes to only go two days, plus the extra hotel night and i would have had to take off monday

i know i know

just so you know you know

I did get after it...went last night and will go Monday night.

Well...

TF you crying about then?

You're like across the street, I'm sure if you worked hard enough you'd be able to afford it. I hate to play the pity game but if I wanted to go to a gig, that would mean having to save up two months wages (both mine and husband, because the exchange rate is FUCKING STUPID) just to buy a ticket. Even then, I'd have to save up another two months' wages for a plane ticket to the closest country, which would have been Portugal, which means I'll have to wait three months for my visa to Europe to get rejected. Then I'll  probably put OK Computer on while digging a hole somewhere and then lie in it because the world is cruel.

Even then, I will never write an open letter to the band because they couldn't accommodate me. I will, however, whinge about it on Twitter like normal people, because, as everyone else here said, they don't owe us anything. Also, as a wise man once said, they played multiple small shows and festivals.

I have to agree with the poster as I also missed out despite being fully aware of on sale times. What happened in l.a. this last weekend was a feeding frenzy of exploitation of your fellow diehards. I would expect sympathy from the message boards: please see copy and paste of text exchange with one particularly greedy "fan"

Me: Hi, you should sell your Radiohead ticket to me because your a good person and don't want to price gouge a fellow fan....I have $200, karma police dude. Thx ☺

Seller:Sorry dude, I see a lot cheaper prices still posted, I'd check there first! #optimistic #lucky

Me: Those are either fake or have different prices inside the ad. Exploiting art should be a crime.

Seller:Nah, some seem legit

as mine. Hope you get a ticket for a reasonable price, sincerely do.

Me:

Trust me, I've contacted nearly every ad. I think yours says 3000, which is actually the highest. I shouldnt have expected decent results from this text. Smdh

Seller:I understand where you're coming dude but sorry, it's also why the price is higher, it's a legit ticket and ad so you're paying for your security as well

Me:

I sincerely hope your ticket gets lost or burns in a fire. Twisting the arms of decent people and exploiting their love of such rare and inspired art is evil. Everything you just said was to make yourself feel better but all its done is add to the disenfranchised spirit of a lost soul.

wasn't that ok computer? have they not done a long tour since then?

yeah i believe so

also pretty sure its why he wont play birmingham anymore :<

I don't want to read everyone's posts, but I will just say I agree with this post. I agree mainly because they played MSG. That means they aren't abjectly opposed to larger venues. And by playing two small shows in maybe the place with the most RH fans in the world---London and NY may have more, but it seems pretty close--the band is ensuring a bunch of fucks get into the show, instead of their fans. I know a lot of faux fans who went to both shows at the Shrine and a TON who couldn't even get close to getting tickets. 

So why do that? Why have a bunch of fucks at your show? The band doesn't make more and the vibe in the crowd will be shit. 

Maybe I'm just pissed because I couldn't get tickets, but I really don't see WHY they did this.

I don't want to read everyone's posts, but I will just say I agree with this post. I agree mainly because they played MSG. That means they aren't abjectly opposed to larger venues. And by playing two small shows in maybe the place with the most RH fans in the world---London and NY may have more, but it seems pretty close--the band is ensuring a bunch of fucks get into the show, instead of their fans. I know a lot of faux fans who went to both shows at the Shrine and a TON who couldn't even get close to getting tickets. 

So why do that? Why have a bunch of fucks at your show? The band doesn't make more and the vibe in the crowd will be shit. 

Maybe I'm just pissed because I couldn't get tickets, but I really don't see WHY they did this.

so only "true" radiohead fans are allowed to go to the shows? that's absolutely absurd.

maybe they enjoy playing those shows too, and want to give more people a chance to come see them

Allowed? no. Everyone is "allowed." This isn't about who is allowed to go, or about what Radiohead "have" to do. This is just a gripe about a situation that seems very avoidable and unnecessary. This is about wondering why the band would create a strange situation where mostly a certain type of person (the haves) can go, while excluding a lot of fans (the have nots). Maybe I'm romanticizing these guys, but that kind of shit doesn't seem to suit them.

they don't "have" to do anything. they play the shows that they think suit what they want.

though you did say that it's a bunch of "fucks" there instead of "their fans". that's just silly. there are plenty of radiohead fans at the festival shows, too. and if there are people there who aren't, so what? maybe they then will be

they don't "have" to do anything. they play the shows that they think suit what they want.

though you did say that it's a bunch of "fucks" there instead of "their fans". that's just silly. there are plenty of radiohead fans at the festival shows, too. and if there are people there who aren't, so what? maybe they then will be

classic blame the victim bullshit

Kinda like getting old in life, you gotta accept some compromises if you want to keep going. We know Radiohead can be fragile in certain ways, whether it's about genuine drive and motivation or fatigue/families. They could've broken up by now, they did two massive tours for IR and TKOL, so maybe to keep them alive they need to aford themselves a type of tour that appeals to them most right now. Doesn't mean they won't go big again, but simply put its like an aging footballer who you have to rest occasionally to get the best out of. They could do what makes every single fan happy, but if they're then unhappy that could bugger up everything. Sure it's fair to nitpick some disparities in shows and sizes maybe, but the broader picture is maybe we just have to start adJusting our expectations, especially if our priority is that they keep going altogether.

I think you missed Scrumch's point. But no matter...the U.S. tour is over so it's all a moot point now, anyway.

Oh wait. There is still the ACL in Austin in late September.

classic blame the victim bullshit

Blame? I don't catch any blame being made by Henrikh's post.

I think he is just pointing out that festivals are full of different kinds of fans - some are radiohead fans and some aren't. I was under the impression that was common knowledge but others on this thread seem to have an elitist attitude that if you aren't a radiohead fan at a radiohead concert you're some kind of "fuck".

If anything - it's been radiohead fans at radiohead concerts that I have beef with. The fan boy screams, those that want to be cute and make some shit comment during a quiet moment , those that clap off beat for 30 seconds awkwardly. The constant sing a long. I don't know. Complaining when a song isn't or is played.

Scrumch is my spirit brother so. I just think you being a little hard on the non fan.

Blame? I don't catch any blame being made by Henrikh's post.

I think he is just pointing out that festivals are full of different kinds of fans - some are radiohead fans and some aren't. I was under the impression that was common knowledge but others on this thread seem to have an elitist attitude that if you aren't a radiohead fan at a radiohead concert you're some kind of "fuck".

If anything - it's been radiohead fans at radiohead concerts that I have beef with. The fan boy screams, those that want to be cute and make some shit comment during a quiet moment , those that clap off beat for 30 seconds awkwardly. The constant sing a long. I don't know. Complaining when a song isn't or is played.

Scrumch is my spirit brother so. I just think you being a little hard on the non fan.

Which is why I think Henrikh missed Scrumch's point. Scrumch wasn't talking about the festivals. He was talking about the Shrine Auditorium gigs in relation to the Madison Square Garden ones.