Sign in to follow this  
FDT

Best track off AMSP ?

I decided early on that TLW was my favourite and Im happy with that decision. A much harder question is least favourite, because in that case I find myself thinking 'Oh shit maybe its Burn The Witch or Ful Stop or The Numbers', when obviously all of those songs are great.

Add one more for Ful Stop. I already know it's my favorite, but even if I didn't, there are some pretty good tells for me:

• I always have to turn the volume on my headphones up at least 2 clicks when it comes on (because louder is better)
  • If my train ride / walk / waiting for someone / etc. is cut shorter than expected, I will skip tracks to get to Ful Stop faster
  • Occasionally, I will play it 2-3 times in a row. Because.
  • Because of points 2 and 3, it is my most-listened to track on the album

Already voted for Ful Stop, but a quick funny story about my first listen (via Sirius XMU on 5/8/16 at 2 pm EST when the digital download was officially released)...When they played Decks Dark the first time, someone typed the title as Desks Dark, and that is what the station displayed the song title as when they were playing it. I remember thinking, "That's a weird title. I wonder if it refers to someone's study being dark or empty?" It wasn't until I got home and downloaded the album about an hour later that I saw the true name of the song. I thought, "Ah, that is a better title!"

Now, every time I hear Decks Dark, I always think Desks Dark in my head for a brief moment. It still makes me laugh...

What a hard question to answer. Right now it's The Numbers because it makes me feel angry. Powerful political song without falling into clichés.

What a hard question to answer. Right now it's The Numbers because it makes me feel angry. Powerful political song without falling into clichés.

agree completely, love the radical feel to it

This week it's Present Tense. There are a lot really beautiful moments on this album, but my fav at the moment is on Present Tense at about 3 min and 4:20.  The humming that transitions to "in you I'm lost" gives me goosebumps. 

That final "in you I'm lost" at 4:20-ish is probably my fav moment on the album.

That final "in you I'm lost" at 4:20-ish is probably my fav moment on the album.

I was waiting for it the first time I listened to the album and it put a smile on my face.

My current favourite song is The Numbers, has been for about two weeks. Lyrics are strong and the transition in the second verse is wonderful, the "mhm" bit is lovely, and the bass line stands out particularly in this one.

Present Tense is probably the album at its most delicate and subtle. A lot of the songs have these huge swathes of strings or big drops and jams and stuff, but Present Tense is this really tight little song that's just got these beautiful lyrics and arrangements

the 'don't get heavy' bit sounded really good in a lower pitch. I mean I'm sure he only did it because it was less straining for him, but it still worked well

I really hope they play PT in San Fran. I'm surprised they down play it at every show. Although, some of the live videos of the song on this tour haven't been amazing. I wonder if it's been hard to do live for them. 

I still don't understand how he plays that picking pattern and sings at the same time.. Though, he didn't seem to have any trouble with it last fall so I doubt that's what's stopping them

Yeah, I can't really figure out the problem. The song just doesn't sound very tight in some of the earlier live performances on this tour. I haven't seen a video of the song since the Roundhouse, though. Maybe it has gotten tighter since. People did say it was great at MSG.

Knowing that True Love Waits is the closer really allows me to more fully enjoy the other songs and the logic of their ordering on the album. For me, True Love Waits justifies the entire album. 

The beginning of PT live sounds a little sketchy--the guitar parts are shaky?--but then it gets really nice. I also loved Ed's guitar part. I watched the entire Lolla video, and I was really impressed with the vocals on most songs. But, yeah, PT was really great live, at least in Chicago.