Sign in to follow this  
Helter Skelter

Rio Security and the Global Agenda

I'm having a hard time understanding the down right stubborn behavior of the Olympic Committee as regards the Rio security concerns.

Several prominent Brazilian officials - including just recently the governor of Rio - have stated that security funding is not nearly up to par and could present a serious concern.

This seems like a perfect opportunity for asshats to do their very worst at an event that is committed to highlighting mankinds very best.

A terrorist attack at this event in the current political climate - I cannot imagine the fallout.

Has there ever been so little hype over a games before?

I think it's the culmination of relization that olympics are usually a huge waste of $$ which could be better spent on the infrastructure (especially the case here in Rio).

Mixed with the fear of Zika and legitimate security concerns. This is shaping up to be a huge mess - if it hasn't been already. So my guess is sponsors, media outlets are just trying to not spotlight this puss ball.

Additionally, you've got some other important stories like Brexit and Orlando taking place. I am hopeful Rio is not added to the mix.

I think it's the culmination of relization that olympics are usually a huge waste of $$ which could be better spent on the infrastructure (especially the case here in Rio).

Mixed with the fear of Zika and legitimate security concerns. This is shaping up to be a huge mess - if it hasn't been already. So my guess is sponsors, media outlets are just trying to not spotlight this puss ball.

Additionally, you've got some other important stories like Brexit and Orlando taking place. I am hopeful Rio is not added to the mix.

Its a real shame.

The Olympics could be used for good, but for all the reasons stated, its difficult to see that.

Can really describe the love and excitement in the air when they happened in London. It was one of the best summers of my life. 

Its a real shame.

The Olympics could be used for good, but for all the reasons stated, its difficult to see that.

Can really describe the love and excitement in the air when they happened in London. It was one of the best summers of my life.

I agree, boss.

At the risk of sounding ethnocentric - I think that this only magnifies the problem with developing countries taking on these huge projects.

It's a global event and should therefore be shared across the globe - but many of these countries are ill prepared and under funded. And really the local population suffers as a result of these million dollar arenas being built and then left to collect dust.

This all, at a critical time in which terrorism and xenophobia are being let out of the cage.

My concern of ethnocentrism aside , perhaps the Olympics and events like World Cup should be left to the more optimally available countries.