Sign in to follow this  
Laguna Sunrise

A Skuj Shaped Pool

Had you not heard either of the singles before starting to listen to the album?!

I had the same question... I mean,  BTW has been all over the radio... Not to mention,  links to the YouTube videos were posted here,  DAS, and other places, plus on YouTube's home page since they were released back on May 3...

No no....I heard them before....that's why I started with those two last night.

Now I have this bitch....listening soon.

You are all too kind. I'm not worthy, I know it. But you'll get my first impressions nonetheless.

Alright Bitches.....my first impressions are a jumble of shyte that might not even be postworthy, nevermind threadworthy.....but here they are:

Fuck....what a brave record to make. There is absolutely NOTHING here....zilch....nada....that beats you over the head, and orders "get this, fuckface, isn't it grand and hard and kickass?" This whole record is such an understated, subtle, beautiful thing. Nobody shows off. The pace throughout is gentle and flowing, never jarring. To my ears it is a perfect early morning / wake-up record. It's their coffee album. The production is wonderful, with so much going on unannounced, and Thom sounds great. I am absolutely convinced that in 5-10 years from now many of us will be revisiting this album and asking ourselves "isn't it funny that we didn't see the greatness right away?" I think this is light years ahead of TKOL. Even on the magnificent IR there is a sense that things are forced upon us (Videotape....we get it ok?) whereas here the overall feeling to my ears is "come into this place if you like.....no pressure....no worries......"

OK look, I'm tired and slightly drunk, ok? This thread put too much pressure on me.  :)

Decks Dark:  As expected a change of pace from Daydreaming. Glitchy. Pretty. Ghostly. Danceable! Outro builds to something....not grand. Noel Gallagher hates this.

Desert Island Disk: Heartbeat and acoustics. 1971 Stones, or maybe Drake. Builds to a different plane....but no explosions at the end again. Pretty.

Ful Stop: (Hey...I love how each track melds into the next one...no breaks. This is very important.) Pulsing. Silking. Throbbing. Ambient swaths under a fast running cadence. You really messed up everything. IR flashbacks with middle part. Vocal layerings are fucking gorgeous. I'm dancing around the room. Climax....understated refrain again....brilliant. So far we have layered, complex, understated glory.

Glass Eyes: Such an early morning. Even earlier than Faust Fucking Arp. Lovely piano/strings combo. Interludey. Sad.

Identikit: Faster...glitchy...but the album remains chill. (BTW is starting to sound like the outlier....but starting with that makes sense.....exorcise that bitch.) I spoke too soon. Broken hearts make it rain. That choir!! A joke? Best joke ever. Amazing guitar interweaving. Phil never breaks a sweat here. Another understated ending. So many bands aim for The Big Thing. RH have been there...done that.....and here their lack of Big Thing ambition is what makes this record magnificent. Subtlety and refrain can be soaring. I fuckin love how "unambitious" this all sounds so far. I mean that in the absolute most complimentary way.

The Numbers: Lounge party...piano...boring time for someone...gotta get way: An addictive rythm emerges, there's something Dylanesque here......FUCK. What a riff/vocal combo. This is already my fav on the record. Soaring choiry vocals...a dozen Thoms......angelic. I'm floating in the clouds. Those fucking strings. I adore this already....surely the centerpiece of the album. (Twothirds piece.) Strings so weaving and probing. Back to the lounge in the last minute. But what an escape that was.

Present Tense: Weird Fishes like. Love the backing gliding vocals. Gentle rythms. This fits/flows, but I have very little to say about it right now, because I am still recovering from The Numbers.

That Long Titled Song: Glitchy but still relaxed early morning vibe. Beautiful strings. Fuck, Jonny.  Can't say much right now because see Present Tense.

True Love Waits: Unlike many of you I have not been anchored in the 1995 live version or any other version. What RH presents here is a version that is on 2016/AMSP. And as a closer here I think it is wonderful, because it fits the feel/flow of this magnificent work. Minimalist - Thom with keys over/under and some ambience.....almost purposely understated and cut to the quick from the previous versions that you love so much. And that takes balls and vision. And I fuckin adore RH for the balls and vision that they have employed on this record. They are not afraid to treat their ultimate audience in 2016 as intelligent, probing and patient.

Fuck this post sucks, sorry.

Spin 2 as I type. I'm surprised that several of you talk about a slow first side and a more upbeat second side. Aren't Burn the Witch and Ful Stop in the first half? These two are the most upbeat bits of this album, wtf?

I don't post much but I just wanted to say that was a great post, and I'm a bit jealous that you get to listen to this for the first time... Such a long time passed without a new RH record and life just goes on - I have a baby and a newly-opened freelance architect job, not to mention the financial crisis in my country which affects us all (I'm Greek) so the past 1,5 years have been really hectic and stressful, despite all the wonderful moments, but May 2016 was just amazing in a way I've really missed. Getting to know a new RH album just lifted a bit of weight off my shoulders, it took me back to less stressful times, and I really wish I could relive that month from the beginning. Well done to you for holding it out! :)

Not sure that even makes much sense, reading it again, sorry if it doesn't. :P

I don't post much but I just wanted to say that was a great post, and I'm a bit jealous that you get to listen to this for the first time... Such a long time passed without a new RH record and life just goes on - I have a baby and a newly-opened freelance architect job, not to mention the financial crisis in my country which affects us all (I'm Greek) so the past 1,5 years have been really hectic and stressful, despite all the wonderful moments, but May 2016 was just amazing in a way I've really missed. Getting to know a new RH album just lifted a bit of weight off my shoulders, it took me back to less stressful times, and I really wish I could relive that month from the beginning. Well done to you for holding it out! :)

Not sure that even makes much sense, reading it again, sorry if it doesn't. :P

No, that's great, thanks for posting. And thanks to y'all for your very kind (too kind!!) words. I loved the many eloquent contributions to the main AMSP thread, and I know I'm not half as skilled at describing my experiences....so thank you all.

This is actually a frustrating time for me also.....new Swans and new RH, yet I am busy with a whole lot of family stuff far far away...traveling....and doing lot's of shiftwork just around the corner. I'm dreaming of fucking off somewhere on a long drive so I can grasp these records, but that will have to wait. My Swans/RH devouring over the next few weeks is going to be piecemeal. 

Aaaw you guys are so sweet. I'm one-tenth as eloquent as Penny, and many many others here. But perhaps my old guy status sheds a different light on the proceedings?  Anyway....thanks for the very kind words. My 10th Impressions are coming up fast....will post in the main AMSP thread. (Fuck....I keep playing The Numbers on repeat. That song owns me.)

Aaaw you guys are so sweet. I'm one-tenth as eloquent as Penny, and many many others here. But perhaps my old guy status sheds a different light on the proceedings?  Anyway....thanks for the very kind words. My 10th Impressions are coming up fast....will post in the main AMSP thread. (Fuck....I keep playing The Numbers on repeat. That song owns me.)

'The Numbers' is such an old guy song :)

'The Numbers' is such an old guy song :)

It's funny but it reminds me of something from Dylan-Band-Blood On The Tracks but I can't put my finger on it. (This should all go back to main AMSP thread.)

How fucking loud is the bass in that song?!

Yes...there's been a lot of chat about the mastering. I play a lot of music in the car and I have never been a bass guy. Usually I have +3 treble and -3 bass settings, but fuckin' The Numbers bassed my head in!! And on a small part of TLW there appears to be some distortion. I'm really surprised, but it doesn't bug me, or take away from the listening experience.