AMSP Special Edition - bonus tracks

FDT

Certainly at the time there was a lot of discussion about whether CD2 were 'b sides', and I think the consensus was that they were far better than that - 'album quality' I'd call them.  Are they as good as the tracks on CD1 - I'd argue generally not (DITNU and 4 minute warning aside - which suffers from being an obvious ending song in a series that included Videotape ...).  Then again, I suspect several of them would have been refined / worked more if they'd ended up in the final cut for the album - go slowly is fantastic - but seems a bit unfinished, and that probably relates to it being in the same set of songs as Nude (which is even better) - ie you wouldn't hve both on the same record.  Even so, they're at a far higher level than the Kid A/mnesiac or HTTT b-sides, which most people have individual favourites of, or think there is some interesting parts to them - but really you wouldn't seriously think of putting them on an album.  Even the OKC b-sides weren't what I would call album-quality.

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and yes the IR disc 2 tracks are in fact b-sides, as most of them were packaged as b-sides for in rainbows singles

uh, no.

try again.

they're not b-sides, they're just more songs.  The band literally described them as "more songs".

And no they were NOT packaged as b-sides to IR singles.

The LIVE, piano version of DITNU was a b-side to one of the singles as was a LIVE version of Last Flowers.

NOT the studio version.  So no, that's a disingenuous argument. They were both live From the Basement versions.

The songs are all top notch and have a significant place in the radiohead canon.

they're surely better than the httt b-sides, of which gagging order is the only good one, although it would be better named "order to gag @ all the other b-sides from this era"

Gagging order is trash tier!

Paperbag Writer and I Will LA are amazing though

Yeah that's just what b-sides are tho.

It's not like calling them b sides is somehow derogatory. At least not in the context of Radiohead - they've always produced A1 level b sides.

Why you so butt hurt FunnyHaha? B sides are not (def b sides) IR2 is still good - just can't be called Lp8. And in rainbows is not a double album.

oh i know IR isn't a double album.

but it's close.

it came with a bonus disc with additional songs that clearly aren't b-sides.

i mean Thom referred to DITNU as one of the best songs they've ever done.  these songs aren't leftovers.

b-sides are somewhat derogatory as they are left over tracks that didn't make it on the album.

these songs are a-side quality.

also, gagging order is great.  it owns the shit out of the original, boring, pedestrian True Love Waits.

Gagging order is trash tier!

Paperbag Writer and I Will LA are amazing though

paperbag is great ya

i recently realised that its inclusion in AFP setlist probably means it is actually an early thom solo song before solo thom was a thing.

i wonder what other rh songs are actually solothom? EIIRP for one surely. how i made my millions too.

kinetic and worrywort probably? gagging order surely? mayyyybe the butcher?

DITNU is a left over song that didnt make the album. It didnt make the album because it didnt fit rather than because the band felt it was weak, but the reason doesnt matter. Spectre is a bside and its amazing.

Lots of great "b sides" from radiohead that never see the light of an album placement.

Shit - I'll contend that the TKOL era is rife with b sides that, if on the album, would've elevated that record substantially.

paperbag is great ya

i recently realised that its inclusion in AFP setlist probably means it is actually an early thom solo song before solo thom was a thing.

i wonder what other rh songs are actually solothom? EIIRP for one surely. how i made my millions too.

kinetic and worrywort probably? gagging order surely? mayyyybe the butcher?

i vaguely remember reading that paperbag writer started with colin playing that bass line. don't quote me on it.

Lots of great "b sides" from radiohead that never see the light of an album placement.

Shit - I'll contend that the TKOL era is rife with b sides that, if on the album, would've elevated that record substantially.

I disagree about TKOL. The bsides are largely album quality but I dont think any of them would have worked on the album without breaking the flow, although I guess I could be tempted to swap Little By Little with Staircase

I disagree about TKOL. The bsides are largely album quality but I dont think any of them would have worked on the album without breaking the flow, although I guess I could be tempted to swap Little By Little with Staircase

Flow? What flow? TKOL is disjointed as all fuck the 1st half of the album. Like scatteredbranches on a tree - it's reaching for some higher plane. But doesn't get close on that until Lotus Flower kicks in.

And then the second half has a cliche Thom dreamy ballad. That's 75% of an album that can't figure out what it's trying to do.

Daily mail is a b side, whatever fine. But staircase and the butcher would've upped the value of TKOL immensely - two songs of great value adds a 20% increase in awesomeness. You can even keep feral and little by little on the album and bring the total to 10 songs.

And supercollider, trimmed down and fleshed out may have worked, but I'm ok with that staying as a b side. Colin should've gotten more love on that track.

A full album with bloom lotus flower the butcher staircase and morning magpie is groovy as fuck. Seperator is top flight material and give up the ghost statisfies my Neil Young fix.

It makes the lesser parts of the album more digestible. As they wouldn't demand so much of the albums full resources and attention.

For example: Faust Arp is a nice little piece because it's surrounded by greatness and doesn't take up 13% of the albums play time.

Same goes for other "interlude" songs like pulk pull or fitter happier.

Feral demands too much and gives too little.

Revisionist History.

uh, no.

try again.

they're not b-sides, they're just more songs.  The band literally described them as "more songs".

And no they were NOT packaged as b-sides to IR singles.

The LIVE, piano version of DITNU was a b-side to one of the singles as was a LIVE version of Last Flowers.

NOT the studio version.  So no, that's a disingenuous argument. They were both live From the Basement versions.

The songs are all top notch and have a significant place in the radiohead canon.

studio versions of DITNU and 4MW were bsides for Nude

I was under the impression that "b sides" in today's terminology meant anything not on an officially licensed LP, no?

Agreed. But some people are seeing it as implying lower quality. I guess still you could switch easily between them for the sake of whatever discussion you're having. It's all a bit of a red herring heh.

Flow? What flow? TKOL is disjointed as all fuck the 1st half of the album. Like scatteredbranches on a tree - it's reaching for some higher plane. But doesn't get close on that until Lotus Flower kicks in.

And then the second half has a cliche Thom dreamy ballad. That's 75% of an album that can't figure out what it's trying to do.

Daily mail is a b side, whatever fine. But staircase and the butcher would've upped the value of TKOL immensely - two songs of great value adds a 20% increase in awesomeness. You can even keep feral and little by little on the album and bring the total to 10 songs.

And supercollider, trimmed down and fleshed out may have worked, but I'm ok with that staying as a b side. Colin should've gotten more love on that track.

A full album with bloom lotus flower the butcher staircase and morning magpie is groovy as fuck. Seperator is top flight material and give up the ghost statisfies my Neil Young fix.

It makes the lesser parts of the album more digestible. As they wouldn't demand so much of the albums full resources and attention.

For example: Faust Arp is a nice little piece because it's surrounded by greatness and doesn't take up 13% of the albums play time.

Same goes for other "interlude" songs like pulk pull or fitter happier.

Feral demands too much and gives too little.

Revisionist History.

I think TKOL's flow is its best asset. It's an album that starts off tense and gradually loosens its grip as it progresses. Its a very therapeutic album in the sense that it seems to be about letting go of anxiety and that is shown in the way the album is structured

I think TKOL's flow is its best asset. It's an album that starts off tense and gradually loosens its grip as it progresses. Its a very therapeutic album in the sense that it seems to be about letting go of anxiety and that is shown in the way the album is structured

Don't know if I agree here but that's an interesting take. I'll give it a listen today in that context.