Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

man I'm rly loving this record, woke up w identikit stuck in my head today- not gettin the dislike some are expressing

I'll be honest, when I first heard the album version of Identikit I didn't like it, but the more I listen the more it's growing on me and now it's one of my favourites.

also looks like I'm gonna see em at outsidelands!!!

whoa you're going? niiiice. i've got a few pointers about that fest we should tawk soon

i can't imagine them not having a live orchestra. might be why so few dates in the states have been announced? flying musicians around would be an enormous endeavor and it might just be taking time to arrange regional musicians for the cities they'll be in (hoping)

whoa you're going? niiiice. i've got a few pointers about that fest we should tawk soon

i can't imagine them not having a live orchestra. might be why so few dates in the states have been announced? flying musicians around would be an enormous endeavor and it might just be taking time to arrange regional musicians for the cities they'll be in (hoping)

I don't know, Arcade Fire manage to do full tours with strings and such without too much hassle. It's not like Radiohead would need a full orchestra.

Why? what's keeping you from listening to it now? I don't know if I could hold out that long. I've held on for five years. I cracked the first minute it came online.

I don't really follow any individual artists that closely anymore, I usually wait and see what the community thinks and then dive in later.  I'm also usually preoccupied listening to what I already have planned out for me.  I have about 132 hours of music to listen to before I get around to Radiohead, in the middle of that is a mix and a couple of albums to review on another community I'm a part of.  An average of 5.5 hours a day going through that playlist sounds about right.

I don't really follow any individual artists that closely anymore, I usually wait and see what the community thinks and then dive in later.  I'm also usually preoccupied listening to what I already have planned out for me.  I have about 132 hours of music to listen to before I get around to Radiohead, in the middle of that is a mix and a couple of albums to review on another community I'm a part of.  An average of 5.5 hours a day going through that playlist sounds about right.

wow man, thats a lot of music. do you do this for a living?

I think this is really an album to listen to pretty loud on speakers more than it is a headphones album. I just listened for the first time up loud on good speakers (rather than just on headphones or my crappy computer speakers) and it sounds great (especially Present Tense).

Dumb question from someone who doesn't know much about this stuff, but when I listened on headphones I can hear the two vocal lines in Identikit but when it's on speakers you can only hear it incredibly faintly in the background - it's like it's not there at all which is a bit sad. Should this be like this?

I never do that with RH albums, but it is soooooo hard for me to not think of Thom's personal situation after listening to Daydreaming and TLW. You really don't listen to those songs in relation to Thom's split? I mean, TLW was written like 20 years ago, but they did finally put it on an album and it's the closer. It seem really relevant to his personal sitch, no?

is daydreaming the one with the 23 years lyric? Then yeah OK that one I can see. But true love waits? Nah. They refused to release a studio version for 20 years presumably because it wasn't working sonically and now it is. They'd never put a song on an album as some kind of meta commentary on their personal lives. I also dunno the lyrics to glass eyes so maybe that one too? The rest, no way. Some have a more tender tone but I refuse to read the album that way. It's like httt being all about George w bush all over again.

True Love Waits most definitely got on here after Thom and his girl's split, how is that even debatable?  i mean jeez you think it took 'em that long to realize they just had to put a piano and some faint background noise for a studio version?  he was finally feeling it the wait it needed to be felt in the recording studio

i mean yeah, ok, i'm open to the idea that his personal mood influences what he's feeling and therefore what gets played in the most recent round of rehearsals and ultimately gets recorded.... i just don't think it's the same thing as 'radiohead's break up album', this isn't fucking Cursive.

like i read someone a few days ago trying to make the connection between rachel+thom split and present tense, when lyrically and harmonically it's basically jigsaw falling into place 2, and anyway he's taken every reasonable opportunity to play it in front of people for the last 8 years or so. i seriously doubt that song didn't make the cut on tkol because he 'wasn't feeling it'. probably they tried to do the cut and paste tkol thing that tkol does with that song and it wasn't coming along and before they knew it they had an album of 8 songs that sounded finished much quicker and worked together as is so they decided to not force the issue. i have great difficulty imagining them sitting down and saying to each other "okay time to make an album, what are the songs gonna be about? rachel? okay let's get started."

listened back to skirting from 2012 and i'm still kinda surprised it didn't make the album. nevermind the personal boner i've had for the song since the original piano version debut, it seems restrained in a way i think would've fit perfectly. if it turns out to be one of the bonus tracks i'll be pretty disappointed that it'll never be on an album, but i won't be surprised.

I don't know, Arcade Fire manage to do full tours with strings and such without too much hassle. It's not like Radiohead would need a full orchestra.

yeah The National toured with Kronos quartet and LCO is a six-piece, so it's certainly possible. like i said, it would be a big endeavor whether uprooting those particular lives to support a tour and/or to plug in local musicians to fill gaps on the road.

edit: because it's not something they'd fill callously even though that's done all the time

• chroma unpinned this topic