• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://thequietus.com/articles/20224-radiohead-a-moon-shaped-pool-album-review

yikes

Took the metacritic score down from 90 to 88 #furious

bitter. sour grapes. if had to guess, thom snubbed this guy at a club and this is his revenge.

he takes all of their suspected insecurities and uses them to critique an album with the premise, 'i wanted something else, didn't get it, don't get what this is, therefore this must be bad because it is not what i would have commissioned.'

i've made the same criticisms. 'why don't they always rock as hard as idioteque or national anthem on every song? why aren't they always as weird as pulk/pull?' but that's missing the point. the work has to be reviewed in the context of what it is, not what it isn't. and i don't think i've ever played against their insecurities to criticize something i didn't like as much. would never suggest they hang it up. always showed appreciation for the songs i love.

so this is an unfair review. and it has no bearing on how actual fans feel about the record.

bitter. sour grapes. if had to guess, thom snubbed this guy at a club and this is his revenge.

he takes all of their suspected insecurities and uses them to critique an album with the premise, 'i wanted something else, didn't get it, don't get what this is, therefore this must be bad because it is not what i would have commissioned.'

i've made the same criticisms. 'why don't they always rock as hard as idioteque or national anthem on every song? why aren't they always as weird as pulk/pull?' but that's missing the point. the work has to be reviewed in the context of what it is, not what it isn't. and i don't think i've ever played against their insecurities to criticize something i didn't like as much. would never suggest they hang it up. always showed appreciation for the songs i love.

so this is an unfair review. and it has no bearing on how actual fans feel about the record.

Exactly

Does anyone have any idea what the new lyrics are in identikit, the lines that start with "moon shaped pool" ? At first it was foreign to me for the song but now I can't get it out of my head I love it. Moon shaped pool, nahnahpoo to love me, now nananah never gonna leaaaveeeee, mmmmhmmmm. I have no idea what it is.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy Bond James Bond just hit me or more like, it came creeping up esp towards the end it just starts to get all sinister alla sudden menacing as hell

I get it now, dude

Bond #2

YASSS my fav on the album. Creeps on you hard.

http://thequietus.com/articles/20224-radiohead-a-moon-shaped-pool-album-review

yikes

Took the metacritic score down from 90 to 88 #furious

This dude can not like whatever he doesn't want to like, but as someone who is supposed to know about music, how can he say that the album doesn't have any passion? It's maybe the most passionate RH album I've heard--the passion just manifests itself in a personal, intimate way, instead of through loud, rocky type ways.

I don't read the bad reviews. I try, but I can't get through them. I can't listen to any criticism about RH!

yeah i find that reading criticisms of stuff i love has an actual impact on my enjoyment of it. a friend of mine was shitting all over glass eyes and like, it's not my favorite song on the album by any stretch of the imagination but now i can't listen to it without her sarcastically squealing "OH MAH GAWD GLASS EYES HAVE MY BABIES THOM YORKE" in the back of my head. so yeah fuck that noise, stay out of my bubble you noobs.

Album has grown on me a lot. Even starting to forgive the car crash that is (was?) Identikit.

Still think I'd have to be in a certain kind of mood to listen to it all the way through, in future, but then you could say that about any of their albums I suppose.

It's a beautiful piece of work. They should be very proud of it.

it's so fucking hard for me to rank these songs. it's much easier to tease out the two or three i'm not as big a fan of as the others. but here i go:

ful stop

present tense

tinker tailor

true love waits

decks dark

the numbers

burn the witch

daydreaming

identikit

desert island disk

glass eyes

burn the witch and daydreaming are at somewhat of an unfair disadvantage because i listened to them a bunch before the rest came out so i'm more burned out on them.

the numbers is steadily rising.

• chroma unpinned this topic