Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

there's probably people in this forum who bought pablo honey at the time. it must have been so weird to see them go from emo-grungey flavour of the month pop band to kid a in less than ten years

i mean imagine if you bought the killers - hot fuss because that somebody told you song was good fun and then somebody told you (ha) that in ten years those guys would be making two of the most perfect albums of all time it's unthinkable that something like that would happen nowadays

yeah i was thinking about this earlier when i brought up pop is dead. the only thing i can think of that's remotely comparable is bowie and 'the laughing gnome'

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i like DiD because thomy sings in his deep voice, which i always like. didn't really get the mother nature's song connection. BUT. the numbers made me think of I Am the Walrus because of the (what sounds like to me but could be effects/samples) voices and laughter buried deep in there. no other comparison just when the guy goes HA HA HA in the outro and at 5:23 and 5:28.

does anyone else hear voices and laughter or is that effects?

Close, this bit actually reminds me and sounds quite similar to I think the end of magical mystery tour (the song)

tkol is awesome. it's getting way too much slack. if the from the basement didn't really bring it home for you...

I love that album top to bottom and al the accompanying tracks. I wish twisted words had a home, I think that would fit in with the extras.

I will agree that the From the Basement session was FAR better than the album.

Yeah, still good. But I think Separator is the only live version of TKoL tracks I liked better on the album

I will have to re-listen to both and get back to you. I'll be honest it's been a while since I've last listened to TKOL.

yeah i was thinking about this earlier when i brought up pop is dead. the only thing i can think of that's remotely comparable is bowie and 'the laughing gnome'

only parallels i can think of are talk talk and the beatles, but even then it's not the same.

and it's just really hard to imagine happening now, for some reason.

Yeah I still get goosebumps listening to Daydreaming and Glass Eyes and will mos def tear up if I pay too close attention to True Love Waits

Still listen to it a lot tho cause I like to get emotionally rekt

Edit: is 4-5 times not a lot lololol

Oh toop ffs

only parallels i can think of are talk talk and the beatles, but even then it's not the same.

talk talk's a good shout, though their 80s pop is pretty serviceable compared to those early bowie/radiohead atrocities

early beatles albums are totally different musically from their later stuff, but those first 3 or 4 have all been a favourite of mine at some point . maybe the quarrymen tho!

Some of the choral sounds on 'Decks Dark' remind me of Bjork's Vespertine.

Yep, and both are amazing albums. And the more I think about it this album is very much like Vespertine in many ways, soft & lush with a lot of strings and emotion. If OKC is Radiohead's Homogenic than this would be the equivalent of Vespertine.

Can't find the discussion now but agree with the people saying this album sounds like shit in the car. I have a stock shitty sound system but this album sounds way worse than almost everything I play. Had to turn the bass down (which I never do) just to listen without overwhelming door rumbling.

I've always been floored that Beatles went from I Want To Hold Your Hand to I Am The Walrus in less than 4 years.

• chroma unpinned this topic