Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have only listened to this twice thus far, and both times not in ideal settings (at work, on headphones, with volume seemingly a bit low - not sure why), but first thoughts are it could end up in my top 3 RH albums.

I think this new album is a natural progression from TKOLs, in so far as the second half of that album had some beautiful, slowish-type soft tracks, similar to most of the new album. I actually would go so far as to say the style of this NEW Radiohead started, in some ways at least, on HTTT - songs like Scatterbrain were more relaxed, soft, almost free-style jazz in ways. So I think that album, parts of it anyway, is the genesis of AMSP. And then In Rainbows took it a step further, and then TKOLs even further. 

I think the band have started to mature really nicely over these last few albums, and this new album is really the artistic culmination of that maturity. 

This new album shapes as being so damn good that I am actually holding back listening to it - I fear the more listen to it the less utility I will get from it. This is especially the case as I haven't downloaded the album nor got it on CD yet, and my ideal listening environment is at home on the big stereo or in the car, and I cannot do either of these things yet. This is very annoying but hey good things come to those who wait !

I have only listened to this twice thus far, and both times not in ideal settings (at work, on headphones, with volume seemingly a bit low - not sure why), but first thoughts are it could end up in my top 3 RH albums.

I think this new album is a natural progression from TKOLs, in so far as the second half of that album had some beautiful, slowish-type soft tracks, similar to most of the new album. I actually would go so far as to say the style of this NEW Radiohead started, in some ways at least, on HTTT - songs like Scatterbrain were more relaxed, soft, almost free-style jazz in ways. So I think that album, parts of it anyway, is the genesis of AMSP. And then In Rainbows took it a step further, and then TKOLs even further. 

I think the band have started to mature really nicely over these last few albums, and this new album is really the artistic culmination of that maturity. 

This new album shapes as being so damn good that I am actually holding back listening to it - I fear the more listen to it the less utility I will get from it. This is especially the case as I haven't downloaded the album nor got it on CD yet, and my ideal listening environment is at home on the big stereo or in the car, and I cannot do either of these things yet. This is very annoying but hey good things come to those who wait !

Great post. Y'all will think I'm nuts, but I'm waiting for June 17th cd release to hear AMSP, for a few reasons. But the main reason is, I feel that I really need to immerse myself in all the other albums before I hear this. My recent Radioheadathon revealed how little I thought I knew about the back catalogue. Every album was coloured differently than I assumed from previous experience. I need those Collectors Editions with all the b-sides etc. Time will be well spent between now and June 17th. Then I feel I will be fully ready for AMSP.

Highest rated album on pitchfork this year so far

The boys are back

Nice that it's the highest rated so far this year. That said, AMSP is a masterpiece. I know that I sound like a fanboy here (despite my advanced age:) but I really don't see how they fail to give this an album anything short a perfect score. Yeah...I know...that might sound ridiculous, but RH is unquestionably the most influential/critically acclaimed band of the past 20 years, and they've just released AMSP to virtual unanimous critical acclaim. 

Maybe part of the problem here lies in the upper bounds of the Pitchfork rating system...maybe the wise thing to do is to just award anything better than a 9 another status such as "masterpiece" (rather than assigning it a tenth of a percent). After all, I don't think I've ever seen a 9.9 on pitchfork. They are insanely full of themselves. 

Am i the only one here who doesn't listen to the same song more than once a day?

no. you're not alone in that. i was writing a post about that but scrapped it.

i think once a day is a good pace for me. but other people are different and want to memorize it and know it completely. and that's cool too... for them.

I listened to it twice on the first day, through headphones (on my commutes too and from work), and have held back since. Because firstly I am keenly aware of the danger of over-listening (I limit Kid A to once a year these days), and I want each listen to be a special event. Secondly, I want the next time to be at home on a loud sound system free of distractions and it's tough finding time for that in between stupidly long work hours and a six month old baby that interrupts everything.

Problem is I still need to listen to something when I'm on the train, and this album has made me really disinterested in hearing anything else. I'm worried that I will lose appreciation for any other music if I hear it so soon after the impact of first hearing AMSP. So to stay safe I'm restricting myself to Merzbow.

I listened to it twice on the first day, through headphones (on my commutes too and from work), and have held back since. Because firstly I am keenly aware of the danger of over-listening (I limit Kid A to once a year these days), and I want each listen to be a special event. Secondly, I want the next time to be at home on a loud sound system free of distractions and it's tough finding time for that in between stupidly long work hours and a six month old baby that interrupts everything.

Problem is I still need to listen to something when I'm on the train, and this album has made me really disinterested in hearing anything else. I'm worried that I will lose appreciation for any other music if I hear it so soon after the impact of first hearing AMSP. So to stay safe I'm restricting myself to Merzbow.

Dude.....Merzbow!!!

Ok... Listened to it 2 times including the bbc 6 broadcast.

1st thoughts:

- I definitely not dislike it.

- people will definitely like it more than tkol.

- a more mature band. Idk if that's good or not.

- i miss that track with a sick, violent beat. Every rh album has ~two of them. BTW doesn't count 'cos it's the opener. Maybe it's either ful stop or identikit tho, but both sound more relaxed i think.

- it's like the 2nd half of tkol + TMB + IR, if i can do the shitty comparison thing.

- also not expecting so much piano.

- present tense is pure greatness, but the pitch shift made the guitar melody sound more 'normal'(?

- that ful stop intro...

- that decks dark intro...

- almost all the intros...

- also loving the begining of DID.

- i like what they did to the BHMIR/ synth part( broken hearts make it rain :P). But the 2012 version it's so good.

- still don't believe TLW being here. I even was a little bit annoyed. I like the song, but it's kinda the post-okc 'creep'. Ok, maybe i'll still want another brand new song instead. But they ABSOLUTELY did justice to it. Very beautiful, videotape-ish ending.

no. you're not alone in that. i was writing a post about that but scrapped it.

i think once a day is a good pace for me. but other people are different and want to memorize it and know it completely. and that's cool too... for them.

Yeah just wanted to know, i don't want to get tired of it!

Nice that it's the highest rated so far this year. That said, AMSP is a masterpiece. I know that I sound like a fanboy here (despite my advanced age:) but I really don't see how they fail to give this an album anything short a perfect score. Yeah...I know...that might sound ridiculous, but RH is unquestionably the most influential/critically acclaimed band of the past 20 years, and they've just released AMSP to virtual unanimous critical acclaim.

Maybe part of the problem here lies in the upper bounds of the Pitchfork rating system...maybe the wise thing to do is to just award anything better than a 9 another status such as "masterpiece" (rather than assigning it a tenth of a percent). After all, I don't think I've ever seen a 9.9 on pitchfork. They are insanely full of themselves.

While Pitchfork are certainly full of themselves, critics cant give high scores lightly. I love this album but perfect it aint. If they give this album a 10, it leaves no headroom for Radiohead to improve upon it. It would basically be saying that for Radiohead, the only way is down

Can we all agree that the numbers, if not the best song of the álbum, it's the new reckoner?

Fucking instant favorite. I knew that song got a lot of potential.

Nah, Reckoner is like my second favourite Radiohead song where The Numbers isnt even my favourite song here

• chroma unpinned this topic