pennyroyalty

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

the first rh song i ever feel in love with, i cant rememeber if it was eiirp or pyramid song. then when i "discovered" them the first time at 12 through youtube, i loved climbing up the walls. it was the creepiest song to me, i think at the time i'd read yellow wallpaper :lol: and fast forward to now, daydreaming is healing my heart. i gotta cry just thinking about this band in relation to my life and i get all fuzzy thinking other people get the same intense feelings about it :x 

I had a nagging feeling that the album ordering didn't make me want to just sit down and listen to it as an album, which is how I listen to the majority of music, and luckily most of the songs transition well regardless of how you order them (could have been intentional, especially since the songs are alphabetically ordered), so I've actually edited the album in itunes to play like this: 

1. Burn the Witch 

2. Decks Dark 

3. Ful Stop 

4. Glass Eyes 

5. Daydreaming 

6. The Numbers 

7. Present Tense 

8. Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief

9. True Love Waits 

The omissions are obvious (I'm not a fan of either Identikit or Desert Island Disk), I just find the album a lot more pleasurable ordered like this. Especially since the first 5 songs just feel so thematically similar to me. Let me know if anyone else tries this out, just a bit of fun. 

i still can picture you stopping your car just to listen to House of Cards on the radio without other distractions :jonny: it's always so moving and special to think of all the different ways we've ended up waiting for this!

god i have such a fond memory of listening to that song too. nothing else radiohead has done is quite as personal for me as that one

I had a nagging feeling that the album ordering didn't make me want to just sit down and listen to it as an album, which is how I listen to the majority of music, and luckily most of the songs transition well regardless of how you order them (could have been intentional, especially since the songs are alphabetically ordered), so I've actually edited the album in itunes to play like this: 

1. Burn the Witch 

2. Decks Dark 

3. Ful Stop 

4. Glass Eyes 

5. Daydreaming 

6. The Numbers 

7. Present Tense 

8. Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief

9. True Love Waits 

The omissions are obvious (I'm not a fan of either Identikit or Desert Island Disk), I just find the album a lot more pleasurable ordered like this. Especially since the first 5 songs just feel so thematically similar to me. Let me know if anyone else tries this out, just a bit of fun. 

"Let us play Daydreaming right after Glass Eyes, just to double hit them in the core of their feels" --Lucifer.

god i have such a fond memory of listening to that song too. nothing radiohead's quite as personal for me as that one

i'm actually kinda glad they didn't play it when I saw them because I probably would have started crying like a dumbass lol

"Let us play Daydreaming right after Glass Eyes, just to double hit them in the core of their feels" --Lucifer.

hahaha totally dude, i thought it may have been a bit too much at first, but it's working for me 

I'm really hoping the second track on that bonus disc is 15 minutes long or something. please don't put 8 minutes of music on a whole disc

I still can't put into words what this album is. I'm floored really. it sounds all warm and soft but all I can picture is the color white. fucking amazing.

After giving this a handful of listens, I'm giving AMSP 4.5/5. For me, it's a lot like HTTT. They didn't have a new sound to debut, but they had a couple of great songs in the can, along with quite a few good ones. Plus they're Radiohead, so they're still going to experiment a bit. That said, HTTF was much more exciting when it came out, because it fit in so well with the charged political climate. This one should age better, though.

This album also made me want to listen to the live piano version of "Bloom" again, and for good reason. I can see a real link to how Thom approaches his solo gigs and the approach on AMSP. The way he layers stuff live by himself really informed the songs on this album. We saw how that technique influenced the last album too, especially with "Give Up The Ghost." 

But yeah, the piano ambiance on the solo piano "Bloom" really points the way to some of the songs on AMSP. And if you stripped "Desert Island Disk" back down to the kick drum and guitar, it's almost exactly how Thom would play it live by himself. The band mostly adds ambiance and almost Radiohead-by-numbers bass and drums to the latter.

The question is... was it a good idea for Radiohead to constrain themselves in this way? With a song like "Daydreaming," the intimate feeling absolutely adds to the material. That said, I wouldn't have minded one of either "The Present Tense," "Desert Island Disc" or "The Numbers" getting a more surprising treatment. Another driving song like "Ful Stop" could've varied the flow nicely, too.

Again... very good album. But not quite 5/5. 

This is maybe the least "rock" album of theirs yet. For all the bitching and moaning about tkol, there were prominent guitars on about half the album. 

i've heard the album only once so far but i get the psych folk tag.  there are a bunch of moments that have that 60's instrumentation.

wikipedia says this album is art rock and psychedelic folk, whatever the hell that means

:lol: what even

And yeah great post vv i enjoyed reading it o/