Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone was saying earlier something about a village called Pool which was inhabited by Moon worshipping pagans, which fits the Burn The Witch theme. So it's not that there's a pool that's moon-shaped, but rather, Pool was shaped by the Moon. Coz as Ayi and others pointed out, there's no hyphen

Is there anyone that has anymore information about this? Googling hasn't lead to any worthwhile results for me.

my tentative ratings:

burn the witch - 9/10

daydreaming - 10/10

decks dark - 10/10

desert island disk - 7/10

ful stop - 12/10

glass eyes - 6.5/10

identikit - 9/10

the numbers - 9/10

present tense - 8/10

tinker - 7.5/10

true love waits - 10/10

My ratings atm:

Burn The Witch - 9

Daydreaming - 9

Decks Dark - 9

Desert Island Disk - 7

Ful Stop - 8

Glass Eyes - 8

Identikit - 8

The Numbers - 9

Present Tense - 10

Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Begger Man Thief - 8

True Love Waits - 10

like this more with every listen but i feel like it's gonna be a year before i can comfortably rank it with albums i've known and loved for 4-13 years (got into them in 2003)

IR = 10.0

OKC = 10.0

HTTT = 9.8

Amnesiac = 9.3

Kid A = 9.2

TKOL = 9.2

The Bends = 8

Pablo Honey = 5

pretty sure this one is comfortably a 9, probably in the realm of 9.2-9.3... impossible to say whether it'll rise higher than that until the hype dies down and i have spent a lot more time with it

what a beautiful album. not entirely feeling glass eyes and tinker... atm.

this arrangement for tlw sounds close to what I was hoping a studio version of follow me around could sound like. gorgeous song.

when I listened to burn the witch and daydreaming all day saturday I kinda thought that the sequence daydreaming into btw worked a lot better than the other way around. maybe daydreaming should have been opener and btw track 2? just a thought

I find the mid-range of albums really hard to rank anyway. I know top three (excluding AMSP) are Kid A, In Rainbows and Amnesiac, and that I don't like OK Computer as much as everyone else, and Pablo is obviously last, but ranking The Bends, HTTT and TKOL basically depends on my mood at the time. I think ranking this near Amnesiac feels right to me right now, but whether I prefer it or think it's slightly weaker, I'm not sure. I know I listened to In Rainbows today and I'm not sure this album is quite as magical as that, but then In Rainbows is such an overtly accessible and immediate album it's perhaps unfair.

like this more with every listen but i feel like it's gonna be a year before i can comfortably rank it with albums i've known and loved for 4-13 years (got into them in 2003)

IR = 10.0

OKC = 10.0

HTTT = 9.8

Amnesiac = 9.3

Kid A = 9.2

TKOL = 9.2

The Bends = 8

Pablo Honey = 5

pretty sure this one is comfortably a 9, probably in the realm of 9.2-9.3... impossible to say whether it'll rise higher than that until the hype dies down and i have spent a lot more time with it

9.2? 9.3? Fuck bruh. That's quite a science you got their for ranking.

I think you have no love for kid a. And for that I hate you.

How you gonna equate kid a to TKOL!? Are you trying to flame?

My ratings atm:

Burn The Witch - 9

Daydreaming - 9

Decks Dark - 9

Desert Island Disk - 7

Ful Stop - 8

Glass Eyes - 8

Identikit - 8

The Numbers - 9

Present Tense - 10

Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Begger Man Thief - 8

True Love Waits - 10

nvm I'm dumb

9.2? 9.3? Fuck bruh. That's quite a science you got their for ranking.

I think you have no love for kid a. And for that I hate you.

How you gonna equate kid a to TKOL!? Are you trying to flame?

haha, i can't rank most albums with 0.1 style but i know Radiohead's well enough. and i love Kid A. just not as much as a few of their other albums. but they'd all round up to 5/5 if i was on that scale except the bends with is 4/5 and pablo which i'd round down to 2/5

also just realized Decks Dark is going to be a fucking jam when they play it live

the fact that there's no hyphen clearly states that they're not talking about a dumb fucking pool that's in the shape of a moon.

it's deliberately cryptic, ambiguous, open to interpretation, there are legitimate theories but no one will really know unless they talk about it in interviews.

frankly they could be talking about us, this planet.

the effects the moon has on our oceans, our environment, etc.

it's "a moon shaped a pool".   not "a moon-shaped pool".

big difference.

haha, i can't rank most albums with 0.1 style but i know Radiohead's well enough. and i love Kid A. just not as much as a few of their other albums. but they'd all round up to 5/5 if i was on that scale except the bends with is 4/5 and pablo which i'd round down to 2/5

also just realized Decks Dark is going to be a fucking jam when they play it live

I think for my rankings, a 7 on a Radiohead album is actually more like a 9 on any other album. I was thinking of ranking everything 1-10 with 1 being more like a 7 on any album but I figured I'd upset people

Man, what I love about Ful Stop is like, it spends half the song just building up. It somehow manages to not get boring, but you get just impatient enough to flip out when it finally drops. In fact, for an album as melancholy as this, there sure are a lot of sick-ass drops.

• chroma unpinned this topic