pennyroyalty

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

"devoid of solid inspiration" :lol:

I don't know if the wording is correct, I am not an English mothertongue.

I mean that there are very nice ideas for filling up the songs (arrangement-wise) but the songwriting itself is just not as inspired as in their better days of the '00s.

I love BTW and TLW.

Daydreaming and Glass Eyes are nice.

Decks Dark and Tinker are decent.

The rest, I can live without.

but it's all a bit too dreamy for me ... AMSP sounds like the ambient bits of other albums all put together.

I think with the reasons you aren't thrilled with the album here you nailed why I adore it

I don't think the songs are devoid of inspiration. Present Tense is one of the most beautiful and subtle melodies Thom's ever written. I just think some of them haven't been developed to their full potential on this album, and/or have too much going on in their arrangement, which detracts from them. Dunno. Can't put my finger on it at the moment. Probably need a lot more listens.

I will say that after burn the witch, I really thought this was going to be another quasi statement album in the vein of ok computer.

Not in terms of guitars and solos, but burn the witch does sound like a much more polished/professional descendent of that era.

I had hope that Thom was ditching the rainbows and trees and was going to go grimy again.

Thata obviously not the case here. What moon is,is a dreamy ballad album peppered with subdued electronica and sublime orchestration.

I've been impressed, even if the mastering has been atrocious.

I wanted fire and brimstone- instead I got dreamy heartfelt landscapes. And I'm ok with that.

I think the biggest issue with this album (besides the identikit choir) is that everyone was waiting 5 years for it and formed ridiculous and specific expectations of what they wanted

For me, this is way better than anything I imagined. Though I suppose it would be frustrating if you wanted a specific type of Radiohead album and have still been waiting almost ten years for it

First word on the album: Stay

Last word on the album: Leave

Damn son

From the first listen through I love the chill laidback feel to this album. Indentikit is one of my favorites!! This album seems pretty stripped down for Radiohead, which is awesome. They never cease to amaze me. Lots of piano on this album which I personally dig. I know the more listens the more I'm going to like.

I think the biggest issue with this album (besides the identikit choir) is that everyone was waiting 5 years for it and formed ridiculous and specific expectations of what they wanted

For me, this is way better than anything I imagined. Though I suppose it would be frustrating if you wanted a specific type of Radiohead album and have still been waiting almost ten years for it

I am too old to fall in the expectations trap... Actually I have not formed any particular expectation in the last 5 years.

The few times I did think about "the next RH album" I was just hoping that after TKOL it didn't sound more and more like a side project of Thom's. And I am happy that it totally doesn't. So the only expectations I had were actually met.

If anything, it was the singles themselves that boosted my hopes...

But overall, I just don't love it. It happens.

that daydreaming video probably affected my first listen too much, cus thom looked so stretched out especially in the way he smiled. thats all i could think about the whole album -stress. built until i cried. gonna listen now with headphones : o and i got a lot of amnesiac from it too maybe cus i heard cuttooth 

Present Tense is definitely the best track on this mawfucka, I'll probably change my mind again though.

The Bends - OK Computer is still the best Radiohead phase tho

The Bends - OK Computer is still the best Radiohead phase tho

Yeah for babies