Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

TLW hit me hard because it sounds like it's resigned, accepting of something you'll never really get over, but in the stage of moving on, and the most optimistically nostalgic, or romantic, at the same time. The plaintativeness is its strength of heart. I think it comes with age.

yes exactly

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So thanks to someone pointing it out in this thread, I finally noticed Thom singing "a moon shaped pool" repeatedly on identikit. But what else is he saying about it? Can't understand the lyrics

Also, both IR and this are named after lyrics taken from the 7th song on the album. Pretty sure Thom never snuck in a "king of limbs" lyric on Give Up the Ghost, though....

So thanks to someone pointing it out in this thread, I finally noticed Thom singing "a moon shaped pool" repeatedly on identikit. But what else is he saying about it? Can't understand the lyrics

Also, both IR and this are named after lyrics taken from the 7th song on the album. Pretty sure Thom never snuck in a "king of limbs" lyric on Give Up the Ghost, though....

in your arms (the king of limbs???)

I won't pretend to be a mastering aficionado, but the album sounded absolutely brilliant with my Sennheiser HD 600's. 

Btw, if PF gives this album a lower rating than Life of Pablo, screw them! I know it shouldn't matter, but I can't help it. 

Yeah, I shouldn't care either...but I've gotta admit that I'll be looking for the review. Like you, if it's not a 9.5 or better, I'll boycott/avoid PF from this point on. Everybody has different taste (Radiohead's not for everyone), but i can't imagine a band/performer who touches A Moon Shaped Pool in terms of its songwriting, musicianship, production, etc. ...not in the sphere of pop/rock music anyway. Their critics may be well versed in music, but they don't understand it in the same was as Jonny, Thom...and probably the rest of the RH members for that matter.

it's about as expensive as the In Rainbows discbox, 9 years later. and i can afford it way more easily this time, so doesn't seem like a bad deal to me

But that discbox 2nd CD was nearly 30min. It seems strange that there is a 2nd cd here with just 2 tracks on it, and one of those is very likely Spectre. I'm not poor, but because I have no use for vinyl, no way am I getting this edition....although the artwork is lovely and all I'm sure. Question though: Why are some of you ordering the CD from overseas? Won't it be in shops on Jun 17th ish?

this is so good... all I wanted was an album significantly better than TKOL and I really think we got it. Special Edition ordered immediately before I heard a note. definite bummer that Spectre is evidently one of 2 bonus tracks but oh well.

album sounds exactly like that studio in France looks.

I was thinking EXACTLY this during my first listen. the choirs are just the perfect touch. these guys are genius.

really happy with this and i really like how they took some songs back into the studio and perfected them with great results. my biggest worry was that songs i was meh about would be on the album, but they're on the album and they are great now!!

ful stop is amazing. smiled ear to ear the whole time.

the vibe of TLW reminded me a bit of morning bell amnesiac. something different than what we're used to. thom's life dropped him in a place and time where he could write an alternate version. the earlier versions were always great song structure-wise, but maybe more optimistic sounding than this. and as we now know... she did leave (sorry thom :icon_cry: ).... and now it's marinated in the sadness of that happening. all he can do is sit at the piano and sing with an affected voice. can't stand up and jam it out on a guitar anymore.

great album.

:(

Must have been said already, but the album's title appears repeatedly in 'Identikit'.

I cannot believe it took like 24 pages of this thread for this to be mentioned

On my third listen. I bought two Sonos 1 today but didn't not have the time to make them stereo. I am psyched to do this tomorrow.

I think my only 5/5 track is DID and that's a solid 4. For me this is up there with Kid A/Amnesiac/IR/OKC. Hard to rank those and this.

Anyone else get a salsa vibe from Present Tense?

by the way, a whole CD with only 2 tracks on it? would've preferred a cool flash drive or something.

OR what if "Wray" or whatever it might be called is like a 30 minute orchestral suite

Same thought when the news broke. Would be mega sweet.

Yeah a whole cd for 2 tracks is a bit funny

I have to wonder if they'll send links for those tracks ahead of time like they did with the supercollider/ the butcher. Also 13 tracks for the era, these songs are long and very developed but it's funny that that's just as many as with tkol.

i remember you! welcome. isn't it great?

I'm taking in my first full listen right now...I've checked out the singles..and then ordered the vinyl. After I downloaded the full thing I listened to True Love Waits first because, well...curiosity...I'm super engaged by this album, I even got my gal to stop listening to lemonade to check out the two videos.

I don't get all the hype for Ful Stop...I think it's my least favorite song on the album. It's an interesting listen...maybe it needs to grow on me. Highlights for me are Decks Dark, Desert Island, The Numbers, and TTSSRMPMBMT.

Present Tense and Identikit I've loved for so long already, I think they need some more digesting before I can give an opinion about their final forms. The choir thing doesn't bother me at all though, first listen I thought it was cool. I wasn't crazy about Burn the Witch as far as hinting at what the album is going to sound like, but I have to say now that I hear it in context I dig it for the opener. I'm not entirely in love with the treatment of True Love Waits, yet, but nonetheless when it came on I was hit emotionally by the song itself and the legacy of it, it is indeed beautiful.

That's my statement. Thank you.

Yeah, Ful Stop may very well grow on me, but I'd rank it near the bottom of the new tracks (for now, anyway)...which, isn't all that damning, considering that I'm blown away by the album as a whole. 

But that discbox 2nd CD was nearly 30min. It seems strange that there is a 2nd cd here with just 2 tracks on it, and one of those is very likely Spectre. I'm not poor, but because I have no use for vinyl, no way am I getting this edition....although the artwork is lovely and all I'm sure. Question though: Why are some of you ordering the CD from overseas? Won't it be in shops on Jun 17th ish?

The bonus CD also had a mass of artwork and photos - the equivalent of two decent sized books - so it was well worth the investment.  I'm not feeling the love for this latest offering.  I can't think of the last 78RPM player I saw!

• chroma unpinned this topic