Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After the in your face-ness of Burn the Witch, I was really surprised by the tone the album took. It makes sense though after there was so much talk of working within 'constraints' for this album, which is very obvious in the subdued but not quite minimalist sound. 

Now that I've come to terms with the fact this record is not quite as bombastic as I thought it would be, good lord I love it. 

new radiohead album. loads of old faces reconvening on MT. makes for a pretty good mood! how are you?

yeah! I think a lot of us are having the same day, ha. on my third listen through, with a handful of extra plays for tracks. thom's writing on 'Glass Eyes' is some of the most direct I've heard. what draws you to that one?

one thing I dont think anyones said, but Im maybe not the only one thinking it...$86 for the deluxe? what the fuck? seems like taking advantage of fans. I'm doing it anyways so I guess I'm part of the problem, it just seems like gouging when the tkol one was half that. It better be good!

it's about as expensive as the In Rainbows discbox, 9 years later. and i can afford it way more easily this time, so doesn't seem like a bad deal to me

yeah! I think a lot of us are having the same day, ha. on my third listen through, with a handful of extra plays for tracks. thom's writing on 'Glass Eyes' is some of the most direct I've heard. what draws you to that one?

Same, actually. Think you nailed it. Lyrics do feel more direct. I think I start to take his cut-and-paste lyrical style for granted and the narrative of that song just grabs me straight away.

what are the odds that we'll get the amnesiac-style sequel next year.  after all this time gap after tkol has been relatively massive.

Fuuuuck guys....not again with the "we are going to get a second disc soon" routine.

This album will comfort me to my walks to work this week. Such a beautiful album this, pretty little musical gift layered with sonic landscapes unlike what they have done in the past. Not skipped any of these tracks they all have their own spaces. 

So I know me mentioning Beyoncé in the same breath as Radiohead nearly derailed the speculation thread and I was totally scatterbrained and inarticulate over my actual point but Guardian review of AMSP is up and:

"Artistically at least, these are supposed to be thin times for rock music, particularly rock of the stadium-filling variety. The really important, epochal, provocative stuff – the music that, to use a ghastly phrase, carries the conversation – is clearly happening in hip hop and R&B. With one exception: alone among their commercial peers, Radiohead are held to not just release albums but make grand artistic statements worth dissecting and poring over in the same way as the output of Kendrick Lamar or Beyonce: certainly, no one’s falling over themselves to decode the politics of Coldplay’s releases."

Hahaha.

Good read though: http://gu.com/p/4jxbc?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The press falling over the run up to this album has been a bit bizarre so nice to see the press address itself

eagerly expecting the liam gallagher review

"bloddy wankers making an album about a fooking pool. not a rectangular pool, mind you, a *moon-shaped* pool. give me a fooking break. pools aren't rock n roll you know what i mean?? if i wrote a song about a fooking pool it would be a pool of john lennon's jizz right cause he's rock n roll you know? fooking fairies".

"Fookin Be Here Now pool was a carpark innit?"

Alright. Got a chance to listen with headphones while laying on my deck. I have not read any of this thread. My 2 cents:

First impression, this is the most "mature" sounding RH yet. At first listen it is absolutely gorgeous. Glass Eyes gives How I Made My Millions a run for its money as most beautiful RH song IMO.

I was constantly waiting for an Idioteque like song of the kick of a large bass section. Also, waited for real rocker like 2+2 or Bodysnatchers. I am completely fine with both, just surprised. This album is so refined. Each track has so many layers, combos, yet are simply gorgeous.

I am still unsure that TLW is "better", but in my eyes this and the original version are just two different songs that use the same lyrics. Much like the way I felt about pre LP7 Videotape and album Videotape.

That's it for now. Off to read the rest of this thread. Sorry for any typos, I didn't proof and am outta energy.

• chroma unpinned this topic