pennyroyalty

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

I don't think BTW and Daydreaming transition well at all, and BTW is different from the rest

It's like the album starts being an album at the third song

Fine with it since they 'get them out of the way' despite being excellent on their own and it's basically more music

Maybe its cause I've heard them a lot before and this is an asinine opinion I dunno this album, give me time

i experienced this as well. the real Moon Shaped Poo aesthetic seems to start with Dicks Dark. i don't know if the singles got a different mix approach 'cos they were singles. but yeah it's probably just the whole listened to BTW 100 times and listened to Daydreaming 50 times before today issue.

i wish the end of identikit was a huge fade out of the chorus singing 'broken hearts make it rain' leaving just the sound of ed strumming his guitar and singing 'broken hearts, make it rain' quietly to himself. then he breaks a string, stops, and you hear thom say "it's okay. you'll sing on the next record".

I guess the next best thing is the 'guitar solo' that thing what is it

that was me btw, I did that, might sound like jonny, but no, I was like 'hey dude this is what you sound like to me'

@sleepyjack

didn't even expect the broken hearts part to do anything more other than a transition, so that came out of nowhere for me

quoting not working again, seriously need to move everything to my new laptop

@snow

Yeah I can see this, although I don't think the sadness of Daydreaming is really present in this album, musically it fits more than BTW yeah. TLW possibly but the music is very uplifting, I guess those two are related. Somewhat blinded by nostalgia as well by TLW but no one can convince me they didn't nail it

@penny

I honestly think your posts are to blame for them putting BTW on the album at the last second, good job penny

how good is this band if you're wondering if they should've just left a song like BTW off the album

what if this is their last album tho ?

*breaks down sobbing while holding a crying minotaur doll*

don't worry. it's not like they're mailing bits of master tapes to fans or anything

:lol:

third listen now, clearly subject to change:

Burn the Witch (****)

A really solid, wonderfully orchestrated single. However, not a song I would listen to casually. 

Daydreaming (*****)

Fairly reminiscent of Kid A for me, has that similar glacial feel to it. Has grown on me a lot.

Decks Dark (****)

I absolutely love the guitar in the last minute of this track, plus the choir is a nice touch. 

Desert Island Disk (**)

B-side material, some dodgy distortion on vocals on second half of song, it's a nice idea, but severely limited by it's repetitious nature. 

Ful Stop (*****)

I love the vocal delivery, the way the percussion and the guitars come in, was immediately up there with my all time favourites. Still is. 

Glass Eyes (***)

The swelling strings and piano are actually incredible, however I am not a huge fan of Thom's vocals all over it. Oh well. 

Identikit (***)

Too many missteps in one song, takes too long to kick in and the song itself is just not all there, and that solo kind of blows. Extra points for a fairly interesting mid-section though. 

The Numbers (*****)

Probably the most unique arrangement, the strings add an interesting flavour to the mix, and that bassline. :yeah:  

Present Tense (***)

I feel this version plays it maybe a little too safe. However reminds me of Gerudo Valley's music and that's never a bad thing. 

TTSSRMPMBMT (*****)

I absolutely love the lush ambience of this song, this song has Jonny's cinematic scoring all over it. 

True Love Waits (***)

I prefer the acoustic version, and even then it wasn't a song I actually really listened to. It does sit well with the rest of the recordings however.  

Verdict: strong 7 to a light 8 

Burn the Witch - 8

Daydreaming - 10

Decks Dark - 10

Desert Island Disc - 10

Ful Stop - 10

Glass Eyes - 9

Identikit - 8

The Numbers - 10

Present Tense - 8

Tinker Tailor - 7

True Love Waits - 8

back here for the first time since TKOL. First impressions are that its a strong record, without a high point. identekit is awful though, and i feel the sequencing of the songs is weak. OKC, Kid A and In Rainbows are strong because the whole order of songs were executed perfectly. This one feels slapped together. Maybe they care less about the details, and just rush product out, but theres something about moon shaped's flow that doesnt sit well with me

back here for the first time since TKOL. First impressions are that its a strong record, without a high point. identekit is awful though, and i feel the sequencing of the songs is weak. OKC, Kid A and In Rainbows are strong because the whole order of songs were executed perfectly. This one feels slapped together. Maybe they care less about the details, and just rush product out, but theres something about moon shaped's flow that doesnt sit well with me

pls dude, they didn't care about the order, they just put the tracks on alphabetical order 

I love it, but it's also almost a chore to listen to in a way. It's just a very overwhelming and slow record.

Definitely not the same reaction as I had for IR or TKOL, since those definitely feel more concise and, ultimately, digestible.

It has some peak moments in BTW, Daydreaming, Ful Stop, Present Tense, and The Numbers.

Don't know how to feel about True Love Waits making its surprise appearance, because I made peace with it never being recorded.

Now it feels as though it has been exhumed and put on display. Silly, and stupid sounding, but it is hard to explain.

Perhaps the hype and the build up to release can best be described like a sudden sugar rush. Sweet, but I feel like I have a headache at the end.

Need to give it more time.

The only people I see disappointed are the ones looking for epic emo songs like Weird Fishes and Lucky or whatever. That's the opposite of what I want and this point so I'm head over heels

This. The melancholy is still there but they sound more collected and serene and worldly about it. The álbum hás a strange eloquence and a self-assured air to it. Plus the compositions and delivery feel mature in the best possible sense.

<3

TKoL just felt unforgivably underwhelming for me on first listen whereas this álbum hás songs like Ful Stop and The Numbers which offer a lot to digest on their own. And it's pretty unbelievable that this is barely shorter than HttT without being all over the place after a couple spins.

I've listened to Non-Moon TLW for over a decade.

Only today did this song jump up and slap me in the face. This is A1 its not even fair. Sublime version - I'm so impressed that a song that has been so "concrete" in my head could be so fully developed into something else and surprise the fuck out of me. Beautiful.

Its everything I wanted Videotape to be.

Don't understand the Identikit hate really. But then again people hated The Gloaming which I love so much so who knows.

I believe they should have made a couple of changes to the track listing but otherwise this is a solid record and I can't think of a song that's not fucking brilliant.