pennyroyalty

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

'tinker tailor soldier sailor rich man poor man beggar man thief' is the most british string of words i've ever heard

could only be topped if they changed beggar to bugger

or by geese's post on the last page  :lol:

okay, 3.5 listens in rating time!

Burn the Witch ***** top ten Radiohead song

Daydreaming ***** one of the saddest songs ever, haunting and beautiful

Decks Dark **** love how bluesy this is, very cool song

Desert Island Disk **** way better than i expected from the acoustic performance, although i only listened once or twice. love Thom's laid back singing

Ful Stop **** this one is going to take some more growing and i'm adjusting to all the changes they made to it. but dark and cool

Glass Eyes *** this is pretty but not doing a lot for me yet. maybe a grower

Identikit ***** love everything they did with this one. sounds like it could have been on In Rainbows with it's minimalistic style. choir is a fucking win

The Numbers **** also bluesy and cool. the fucking outro "one day at a time", holy balls

Present Tense ***** amazing acoustic song turns into an awesome bongo-fueled latin style tune. not as sad as initial performances, but still great

Tinker **** digging it so far, but gonna need more growing. i like how it develops as it goes

True Love Waits ***** amazing performance. not on my radar at all before this album but couldn't be happier it's here as the closer

no idea yet where this album fits in, ranking-wise, among their others, but it only contributes to their amazing repertoire and further solidifies them as GOAT, as box would put it. i totally agree this could have easily been a follow-up to IR, some of the songs would have fit well among the IR material. generally worth the wait, and i love the way they rolled it out over the last week, so much fun

guesses for bonus tracks: Skirting on the Surface and Open the Floodgates. not Spectre. although i'm hoping to be wrong, i think Skirting deserves a place on a proper album

i'm not holding out hope for an Amnesiac-style follow-up, but with their abbreviated tour i am hoping they get back in the studio soon. and who knows, we may well hear a couple more new tunes on the road

I'm almost certain one of the two extra tracks is spectre. you can kinda read it on the black cd from the photo:

http://www.amoonshapedpool.com/imgof/specialed.jpg

anyone have a guess at the second one? 

Totally agree, after really looking at the black disc you can make it out pretty well. Not happy about that at all. I would have picked a dozen others before that.

dunno about that. my most recent post in the spec thread about what we should sensibly expect was basically correct:

one of the songs on AMSP probably is Dawn Chorus. so the only obvious contenders missing are Cut a Hole and Skirting, and we didn't get Lift - but it sounded like there has been some misreporting on that in the 1st place.

yeah, this is good. 

it's just me getting confused with timelines. i've remembering the list on Citizen Insane which included:

Come To Your Senses

I Lie Awake

[Riding The Bullet]

[Wake Me (Before They Come)]

Wake Me was probably the one I was most looking forward to out of everything we'd heard before. and it does fit the vibe of AMSP so maybe it's one of the 2 bonuses...

not sure if this has become something else though and just has very diff lyrics... need to get more familiar with this stuff.

but that stuff added to the stuff they'd mentioned previously or had been teased somehow or mentioned by name over the last 10 years. there's maybe half a dozen more.

i really hope when that Citizen Insane site gets relaunched they can do another fan interview with someone and clear this shit up. i'm probably thinking way too much about it.

Man, it's like they sucked all the energy out of Ful Stop and Identikit.  I'm sure I'll get used to these versions, but I'm a little disappointed after the first listen.  Album as a whole is a bit mellower than I expected, but it has some beautiful production touches (all the background sounds etc).

anyone having this issue on itunes where the album appears separate from all the other radiohead stuff in my library?

This happens to me all the time in iTunes.  Right click on Radiohead, change to Radiohead2, then do the same for the duplicate Radiohead, then change Radiohead2 back to Radiohead and it will all be listed under just one Radiohead. :)

Just finished.

They did it again. God knows how they keep managing to meet our ridiculously high expectations. But they did it. Another masterpiece. And classic Radiohead in that it sounds like nothing that's gone before.

Best tracks: BTW, Decks Dark (fuckin' wow, new favourite song), Desert Island Disk, The Numbers - so impressed at what they did with Silent Spring, I was worried about that one.

Worst: Daydreaming and True Love Waits are my least favourite Radiohead songs in well over a decade. Especially the latter, which might have been an average B side but way too dull for a closer (felt kinda the same about Videotape but this is much worse). The rest of the album is strong enough that this can be forgiven, but for me these two tracks pull the album out of the first tier.

I was a bit disappointed by Ful Stop because I love, love, love the live version and it has been changed too much. But it's still great and the live version wouldn't have fit on the album at all. Then again BTW doesn't really fit.

Identikit and Present Tense are great. Tinker is kinda filler I felt but maybe just needs more listens.

Overall maybe a tad long but obviously a reaction to the complaints about TKOL's length.

The production on this thing feels like it comes from another dimension. Pure genius.

That fucking title though... Moon Shaped Pool? What the hell were they thinking? I was nauseous in between seeing the title and hearing the album because I thought they'd lost it. After hearing the album I'm relieved but still... Worst Title Ever.

i'm not holding out hope for an Amnesiac-style follow-up, but with their abbreviated tour i am hoping they get back in the studio soon. and who knows, we may well hear a couple more new tunes on the road

LP10 is 2021 at their current rate  :hug:

Man, regardless of whether this is Radiohead's "best" album or not, it is definitely their most beautiful, intimate, and personal album. Super lush. Really good stuff.

Side note. If you think Identikit's vocals are off, you just lack a bit of rhythm or are confused on where the beat starts. Sorry. Same technique was kinda used on The Butcher (song starts on off beat, lyrics start on actual beat, your brain transitions) among other songs out there in the world.

okay only just listened to for the first time

here's my kneejerk reactions from fb chat to Ula, sorry for the internet language spasms

I'M LISTENING TO IT  

I'M ACTUALLY LISTENING TO IT

DECKS DARK THE VIBES

WILL REPORT MORE

CAPSLOCK PERMANENT

thanks yeah was a bit impatient from the first 2 since i know them

first new song and its like yeaaahhh

yes was at my mom mother's day and all

good night!

true love waits closer, what the fuck

very curious about that one

unfair, amnesiac is unbeatable

DID is good

FUL STOP

anyway good night!

ful stop is pretty trippy

so far not into ful stop this vers

next song is NOT EVEN A RADIOHEAD SONG

and I like it

LOLW AT IS IDENTIKIT EVEN and yet I love it

present tense is lounge version

so far this is twist after twist and yet coherent

RH U SO MUSICAL

kind of is the sunniest RH album

present tense has some gorgeous bits

the numbers is already messing with my head

OH ITS SILENT SPRING

WE HAVE VIBES IN SPADES COME PICK THEM UP

GUITAR 

STRINGS

I AM EXCITE

IS THIS AMBIENT NEIL YOUNG WHAT THE FUCK

O JONNY DID THE SCORE OF COURSE HE DID

GET UR GRUBBY HANDS ON MY ALBUM AGAIN JONNY

oh unto the song no one believed was actually on it

WE CAN DO WEIRD VIBES TOO FOLKS OH ARE THEY TURNING INTO ACTUAL VIBES OH OOPS SORRY

they do some weird shit on this album and everytime I'm both smiling from ear to ear and holding my hands in a 'what is this' fashion

TLW IS COMING WHAT NO

I CANT

okay listening

NO DONT DO THIS

PLEASE KEEP DOING THIS

already the best version

WHY IS THE MUSIC THE MOST WHOLESOME THING WRAP ME UP

wow

I don't know what this album is and yet they did it

they really did it

Other notes: the second part of broken hearts make it rain part made me laugh out loud and it is great. can't get behind these vocals on ful stop yet

I need to listen more as its a lot to take in, not at all ready to rank this yet, though I don't think I feel like doing that anyway, very happy there's new music and it's different yet again

i agree that the mixing/mastering on the record sounds a bit fucked, i'm sad to say. or at least it's working mostly well in a way that sounds bad at points.

does anyones true love waits sound a little messed up? thoms vocals sound a little patchy in the beginning for me.

i agree that the mixing/mastering on the record sounds a bit fucked, i'm sad to say. or at least it's working mostly well in a way that sounds bad at points.

Overall it sounds good on normal headphones/earbuds/laptop speakers.. but on my Audiotechnica ATH-M50x's I can notice small flaws here and there in the mastering.  The vinyl will sound amazing I'm sure :)

The best way I can describe the small glitches I have noticed are like while track 3 blends into track 4 seamlessly... during the beginning of track 3 between 0:18 and 0:20, you can hear a EVERY SO SLIGHT pause in Thom's vocals, as if it was a bad "seamless" transition between tracks at that very moment.  HAHA hard to explain but its very nip picking..

This happens to me all the time in iTunes.  Right click on Radiohead, change to Radiohead2, then do the same for the duplicate Radiohead, then change Radiohead2 back to Radiohead and it will all be listed under just one Radiohead. :)

yeah i fixed it by doing basically this.  but god it was pretty huge pain the ass until everything was in its right place

yeah i fixed it by doing basically this.  but god it was pretty huge pain the ass until everything was in its right place

Totally understand your pain, I'm 100% OCD about my iTunes library being 100% accurate with track names, album art, etc. Have literally lost sleep over it HAHA

Overall it sounds good on normal headphones/earbuds/laptop speakers.. but on my Audiotechnica ATH-M50x's I can notice small flaws here and there in the mastering.  The vinyl will sound amazing I'm sure :)

The best way I can describe the small glitches I have noticed are like while track 3 blends into track 4 seamlessly... during the beginning of track 3 between 0:18 and 0:20, you can hear a EVERY SO SLIGHT pause in Thom's vocals, as if it was a bad "seamless" transition between tracks at that very moment.  HAHA hard to explain but its very nip picking..

for me on headphones i feel like i have to constantly adjust the volume. the band goes randomly way into the background so that random noises and vox can get attention and it really confuses my ear. it's also quite tiring to listen to. looking forward to getting the cd so i can listen on my stereo