Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

i cant tell if its solely because im hearing it in my car for the first time or if the cd master truly differs in some way, but im definitely hearing a difference. mainly a lot of the background stuff stays in the background so random choir parts and tape loops and other aux parts dont randomly wash everything else out. also anything with a lot of bass is loud as FUCK so bass and drums mainly. rhythm guitar on decks dank is way quieter, i'm 100% sure that one is the master, it's unignorable on the 16-bit wav but i doubt id even notice it was there on the first few listens of the cd if i hadnt already known. end vamp section has quieter guitars too. ful stop sounds clearer all around, though the bassy electronic pulse in the left ear after the drop wasn't cutting through. thom's "all" was annoyingly loud. album is still bassy as hell all around. still sounds best on my computer by a noticeable margin. i'm curious to compare cd rips to the download once i get bored of it in my car and bring it inside.

Unless you compare using the same source player at exactly the same vplume it's pointless.

But it's almost entirely definite all formats use the same master so any differences you think you hear will be wrong.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The album *is* overtly about climate change. It's more subtle than HTTT and wasn't so obvious at first, but now I see the common theme clearly in each and every track, and in the order of the tracks (not to mention the album cover and title).

If you can explicate the climate change theme in every track, I'll eat my hat.

It's staring you in the face! Actually now that the meaning of the album has "clicked" for me I am thinking of writing out my track-by-track interpretation at some point. Just need to find the time. But yeah, AMSP is as much Radiohead's "climate change album" as HTTT was their "anti-war album". It's all just below the "break-up album" surface.

It is reductive but basically correct; RH albums are all highly thematic, although sometimes it takes years of listens before the theme becomes clear.

I feel that this album is more obviously thematic than usual, but the centrality of climate change running through the album wasn't apparent for me until the other day. Now it's so obvious I can't unsee it. The title, which I hated, now makes sense; the ordering of the tracks, which seemed somewhat odd in parts, is now perfect. The lyrics all tie together in a cohesive story.

There are multiple themes of course but I'm sure Thom would regard it as being foremost about climate change, for which the themes of broken relationships and dependence/addiction are metaphors. That's not to say it isn't about other things; Thom's genius as a songwriter is in these multiple layers of meaning. But given what we know about their views and concerns there should be nothing at all surprising about Radiohead making an album about climate change.

It is reductive but basically correct; RH albums are all highly thematic, although sometimes it takes years of listens before the theme becomes clear.

I feel that this album is more obviously thematic than usual, but the centrality of climate change running through the album wasn't apparent for me until the other day. Now it's so obvious I can't unsee it. The title, which I hated, now makes sense; the ordering of the tracks, which seemed somewhat odd in parts, is now perfect. The lyrics all tie together in a cohesive story.

There are multiple themes of course but I'm sure Thom would regard it as being foremost about climate change, for which the themes of broken relationships and dependence/addiction are metaphors. That's not to say it isn't about other things; Thom's genius as a songwriter is in these multiple layers of meaning. But given what we know about their views and concerns there should be nothing at all surprising about Radiohead making an album about climate change.

You still haven't explained the 'story' you claim to see so clearly. You might be right, but unless you explain, how else are we to hear what you hear?

don't think so

actually i don't see any of radiohead's albums as highly thematic, not even the hail to the thief - on every album there's a variety of topics - climate change included

i think the beauty of thom's lyrics is among others in the freedom of interpretation... so you may find basically anything anywhere

• chroma unpinned this topic