Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

I've got the official AMSP album digital download in both MP3 and 16bit Wav formats (both downloaded via the website) - and the MP3 sounds clearly better to my ears.  The Wav is fine, but it sounds dull and lifeless compared to the MP3s - which have a bit more shine and resonance to them, more punch.

Does Audacity have an EQ that shows the frequency range in real time? Maybe the MP3 is mastered slightly differently and has a bit more roll off on the bass end, which is chock full on the WAV. MP3 has slightly less HF range, depending on the bit rate, so it may roll off that end too. Dunno... to me the WAV's sound better with the low frequency, sub bass clutter rolled-off, seeming to give more space for the other frequencies to breath. Maybe your ears just prefer the slightly grainier sound of MP3 in this case, which excites some of the sounds a bit more in certain ranges.

I'll be interesting to hear the CD and see if any changes were made, unlikely though that is... the vinyl is another matter, and would need more considered mastering.

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Okay is Pitchfork's need to post everything Radiohead related in their news section weirding anybody else out?

Jonny playing something a little weirdly during a live performance of Nude (while funny) doesn't really seem top page news worthy.

with pitchfork's audience, radiohead = clicks, i guess. it is weird though. 

Definitely enjoying the MP3s of AMSP more than the Wavs. I can't get my head round it, but it's like a layer of polish was sanded off the Wavs in comparison.

Damn, I wonder if this has anything to do with the issues in my car with the WAV files. I haven't listened to the MP3s, tho. I got the WAVs and they sound like shit in my car, but they sound excellent through earphone. 

Damn, I wonder if this has anything to do with the issues in my car with the WAV files. I haven't listened to the MP3s, tho. I got the WAVs and they sound like shit in my car, but they sound excellent through earphone. 

The WAVs sound great in my car! Not sure what speakers I have, but whatever's default in a Kia car... Not really into that kind of stuff ;)

Oh, Belly, I love your fantasies. The only thing missing was an appearance from Fela, thanking everyone for bringing the beat back. That whole Ginger Baker thing didn't end well, so RH had to pick up the slack 40+ years later. 

+1 m8

Gave them a shot. So much better in my car. Crazy

Warning: I'm a complete luddite. A techno ignoramus.

WHY THE FUCK should it make a big difference, mp3 vs wav?

Edit: And does this have any impact the CD that I will buy on June 17th?

• chroma unpinned this topic