Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tinker is amaze, and I think think it preceeding TLW is brilliant, going from that slow build into such a simple little piano ballad is bliss.

I think theres a lot more to Glass Eyes than it just being the Minecraft OST, yes its very pretty but I think its swells in relation to its lyrics are very emotionally affecting and the song has such a classic Hollywood feel to it, the likes we havent heard from the band since MPS

i definitely wasn't bashing tinker, genuinely curious about the d + c comparison. i didn't hear the jazziness before but listening now there's definitely hints of it there

and yeah, that's a pretty ringing endorsement for the minecraft ost  ; )

Tbh I think Floodgates needs work. Its a great song but the lyrics are Thoms worst since Pablo. Lift is okay but I wasnt super excited to hear the rumours, feels like a bottom of the barrel choice, Id much rather get Big Boots.

Skirting tho I dunno maybe its just not ready yet

Tinker is the best track on the album for me. It's one of those tracks that is kind of representative of RH's overall appeal to me: it is beautiful, but possibly easy to skip over, avoid, forget about, if you aren't really paying attention. It has those nuances and intricacies that only really present themselves and become interesting, and then even vital, after many listens. Then, after 30 listens, it's your fav song because of that one sound way in the back that you didn't even know was there until listen 27. 

There are many types of RH songs, even very accessible, straight forward pop/rock/folk/dance songs. Those can be amazing. But my attention on the band and their albums probably would have faded somewhat over the years if they didn't keep putting out songs like Tinker that creep (heh) up on you from behind and quietly slit your throat.  

now that i've listened to this thing like upwards of 50 times i at least like every song, though the last couple listens desert island disk kind of drags that first half of the record.  it's a good song, but, to keep on topic, i think tinker tailor sort of does what DID does but much better.  it's a great album though.  i've made a playlist to include spectre at the end of the record and man that song is dope.  kinda cool they left such a strong track off an already stellar record. 

I really like that version actually. I wasn't crazy about it when I heard it in Feb or whatever. But listening now, after having heard the album version so much, this is pretty great. Maybe my issue with the album version is that the emotion doesn't seem to be as front and center, like it's a bit gutted and detached. Not committing to that tho. I'll have to go listen again now.

i cant watch that now but i did watch that thom solo performance for the global warming forum deal he played at.  the song is good, don't get me wrong.  also interesting that many of these "newer" songs don't really have choruses, the band versions sort of create changes in mood or atmosphere, but DID, Present Tense, Daydreaming all float along without much resolution in chord progression or melody.  it's an interesting way to write songs

A girl I was into when I was a sophomore in high school let me borrow kid a because she said she loved it. I listened once and didn't know what the hell I was hearing. Then about a year later, my best friend and songwriting partner who I've been playing music with for 13 years now, played me You and Whose Army in his car, specifically to say listen to how f*cking awesome this piano sounds when it comes in. Followed by I Might Be Wrong and Spinning Plates live and I was hooked, got Amnesiac immediately and wore it out. Kid A clicked after a few more listens. The rest is history.

Fellow audiogeeks, can you help me solve a problem I have (where to begin eh)?

I've got the official AMSP album digital download in both MP3 and 16bit Wav formats (both downloaded via the website) - and the MP3 sounds clearly better to my ears.  The Wav is fine, but it sounds dull and lifeless compared to the MP3s - which have a bit more shine and resonance to them, more punch.

Am I going mad? Putting the files into Audacity, its clear there's more clipping on the MP3 variants, but the Dynamic Range meter spits out the same DR ratings per song between the 2. 

I dunno, maybe I'm too sensitive to these things, but I had been listening to the wav files for a while and something was nagging at me about the slightly 'foggy' nature of the production, so I thought I'd check the MP3s.

Strange days.

Fellow audiogeeks, can you help me solve a problem I have (where to begin eh)?

I've got the official AMSP album digital download in both MP3 and 16bit Wav formats (both downloaded via the website) - and the MP3 sounds clearly better to my ears. The Wav is fine, but it sounds dull and lifeless compared to the MP3s - which have a bit more shine and resonance to them, more punch.

Am I going mad? Putting the files into Audacity, its clear there's more clipping on the MP3 variants, but the Dynamic Range meter spits out the same DR ratings per song between the 2.

I dunno, maybe I'm too sensitive to these things, but I had been listening to the wav files for a while and something was nagging at me about the slightly 'foggy' nature of the production, so I thought I'd check the MP3s.

Strange days.

There's been some similar concerns posted here with regards to mastering. I've got the 32b and I did notice a nice difference between that and the MP3, however when I played the 32 on my car stereo I was shocked at the....muddyness. Quality was degraded. Granted this is a standard Ford Focus stereo.

However, I have some serious hope the vinyl will be much better - I got the 7' and spectre was brilliant compared to the mp3. BTW was an upgrade as well but not much more.

Running the album through various audio programs - there's been some clear evidence of mastering failures. Though to be honest, Nigel has historically taken care of RH mastering and I doubt this was by accident.

There's something intentional about all of this. Perhaps it adds to the atmosphere. It's not supposed to sound clean polished like IR. There's a certain amount of feeling like you've uncovered an old disc, wiped it off, and attempted to play back.

In a world of massive marketing - they deleted their entire web presence and faded away.

in a world of talkin points and scripted edits - they've given us some fractured perhaps slightly flawed sounding art.

I think it's all intentional. Im giving the band the benefit of the doubt.

+2 if you actually read all that. Fuck I'm full of myself.

Okay is Pitchfork's need to post everything Radiohead related in their news section weirding anybody else out?

Jonny playing something a little weirdly during a live performance of Nude (while funny) doesn't really seem top page news worthy.

• chroma unpinned this topic