pennyroyalty

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

nice prelim review but also fuck you penny, your face is a downright awful guitar outro

i kinda agree actually, not the part itself, that's fine, but the production job is really jarring, too dry given what's going on around it. i'm sure i'll learn to tolerate it with time but i wish they'd backed it off a bit and slapped some reverb on it to give my ears some mercy.

Also: Thom's voice in the new TLW was too much :icon_cry: Can't believe this band is still capable of doing these things.

no kidding.  tlw was straight up gut-wrenching to listen to, and i was never that big on the old live version

in other news, apple music saved the day and i have the album.  i just hope the waste site gets its shit together so  i can buy that special edition

On second listen I think Decks Dark my be my new favourite RH song, fucking incredible.

Oh and the strings at the end of Tinker Tailor are something aren't they, well done Jonny  :smoke_coo

i kinda agree actually, not the part itself, that's fine, but the production job is really jarring, too dry given what's going on around it. i'm sure i'll learn to tolerate it with time but i wish they'd backed it off a bit and slapped some reverb on it to give my ears some mercy.

ffs doc, your face's production job is jarring

can anyone else not put the artwork on their iTunes? i can't add the artwork to any songs

You have to sign in to your Apple ID from the iTunes store. Then it will let you right click "Get Album Artwork" and it will automatically download the correct one. I couldn't get it to work by manually adding the file from my computer for some reason. This works.

Just finished. A lot to take in! Things that stick out to me is that closing it with a song as well known as True Love Waits was a stroke of genius. This version is a bajillion times better than any other version and it really hit me emotionally. Identikit is bizarre as balls. Burn The Witch sounds NOTHING like anything else but it's okay because it's the first track. The Numbers was fab, so glad someone pointed out it was Silent Spring because that was driving me mad, I reckon they changed it because it didn't fit nearer the end of the album. Present Tense never meant anything to me at all and I always thought it was hella overrated, but it turned out great. Glass Eyes is bae. This is the folky Radiohead album we've all been begging for. Sounds like it's Radiohead's last but I guarantee it's not.

feels like alternate universe Radiohead now, the path after In Rainbows was split and this is one road, TKOL was another or something

This. I've been thinking this since BTW dropped. The alternate reality could even go back as far as OKC, I think.

Just finished. A lot to take in! Things that stick out to me is that closing it with a song as well known as True Love Waits was a stroke of genius. This version is a bajillion times better than any other version and it really hit me emotionally. Identikit is bizarre as balls. Burn The Witch sounds NOTHING like anything else but it's okay because it's the first track. The Numbers was fab, so glad someone pointed out it was Silent Spring because that was driving me mad, I reckon they changed it because it didn't fit nearer the end of the album. Present Tense never meant anything to me at all and I always thought it was hella overrated, but it turned out great. Glass Eyes is bae. This is the folky Radiohead album we've all been begging for. Sounds like it's Radiohead's last but I guarantee it's not.

holy shit i just figured it out. this is radiohead making a nick drake album.

Their last album closer will be Lift not True Love waits you fools

Did anyone else purchase the .WAV version of the album, and notice on Track #3, (Decks Dark)... there is a small glitch in Thom's vocals between 0:20-0:21??  Or do you think that is just the way they mastered the album?? 

This also happens on Daydreaming between 6:06-6:08??

I'm really hoping it was intentional because I can only download the .WAV two more times..

Thanks!

I have the WAV version and have gone back and listened to these parts. Sound fine to me

I have the WAV version and have gone back and listened to these parts. Sound fine to me

Thanks for responding.. It's just the smallest little thing but once you hear it, you cannot unhear it.  Listened to a 320KBPS mp3 version and it has the same little thing in it, so I am convinced it's the mastering and not my download.  

that was fucking great. everything sound so new yet to overtly radiohead i cant even comprehend.

decks dark is great changes very second i love it, those guitars man.

ful stop is ful sex. colin is great.

glass eyes made me glass eyed.

loving it so far then identikit! will have to come back to this but very interesting! the choirs in decks dark was great but not sure abt this time round.

the numbers was hella jazzy americana. at this point i was thinking this record is basically two things: 1. the vague folky album ppl have been wanting 2. the vague orchestral album ppl have been wanting. and fuck me they did the great job putting them both together.

present tense haha i feel like i have to apologise to this song i love it. my thoughts as it went along 1. very beachy 2. somebodys gonna come dancing bringing a pina colada 3. pina colada+small guitar+grass skirt. i love it tho its great i think (first impression mind) they did it better than identikit.

tinker tailor kinda came on and went idk i lost focus somehow i mean it was good but second listen i suppose.

true love waits. fucking hell. have i not waited for this. listened to this looking at the love of my life and thinking of everyone else that i love and it is just overwhelming i teared up. i love that thom didnt change the lyrics at all. you can tell he proper loves this song hence why he never lets it go. true love waits. i broke down towards the end cause i was reminded of my late grandma i lost recently. if theres a music that can do that to you, you know its good.

thank you radiohead.

I'm really glad I bought the special edition on a whim. Would have been a fucking disaster if I'd ended up hating the album, but I really do love it.

I can't decide on rankings just yet, but for me at least AMSP is in the same area as Kid A/Amnesiac/Ok Computer/In Rainbows.