pennyroyalty

Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool

First impressions:

So overall, the mellowest, softest sounding album yet, am I right? And most overtly beautiful, maybe.

Present tense: my most anticipated studio track ever probably, so huge expectations. I was hoping this would have one of the big orchestral moments. this version works well enough because the song is still great.

true love waits: hard to imagine how i would feel if this were totally new to me, but it's such an old familiar song, this version feels sort of extraneous here.

imo identikit turned out well. love the high vocals.

full stop: meets expectations, good.

the numbers: cool vibes. 

So... songs from best to worst?

Ful Stop 

Decks Dark 

Tinker Tailor Soldier Sailor Rich Man Poor Man Beggar Man Thief 

The Numbers

Burn the Witch 

Daydreaming 

Glass Eyes

Desert Island Disk 

Present Tense

True Love Waits 

Identikit 

I'm a bit overwhelmed. 

Been a huge fan since 1996. Seen them live 4 times. Seen Thom live 2 times.

Loved IR and I have to admit I had my doubts as to whether they would create another masterpiece (though I was fully confident that they could give us some more great songs. 

But holy cow.

A Moon Shaped Pool is a masterpiece.

alright second time listening to present tense. song is just too good, the core song writing is spectacular.

love this song, beautiful studio version

I was always really worried about them trampling over Present Tense, so the fact that we ended up with a somewhat Latin sounding version is hilarious to me.

And it works, too. Weirdly.

Before hearing the album, title = shit

After hearing the album, title = perfect

Haha yes, my initial impressions were somewhat bemused at the title, but having listened to the album, the title is actually growing on me, and it just feels so surreal and incredible to have a new RH album in our libraries  :10:

after 3 listens

Radiohead - See Change

BURN THE WITCH ***** masterpiece. literally their best song under 4 mins or something

DAYDREAMING ***** survives on feel not thought. clearly doing a pyramid song

DECKS DARK *** magnificent choir over pure plod. like nigel's beck records. outro lacks their famed dynamics

DESERT ISLAND DISK *** thom actually got one of his folk songs onto an album. pretty but 2 slight songs in a row

FUL STOP **** there's an awesome song in the next room but i can't hear it. take off the cellophane pls. oh shit they did

GLASS EYES **** here's a song they know is slight- and they pull it off perfectly. really different kind of lyric from Thom

IDENTIKIT **** minimalist as fuck. from the ridiculous to the sublime swirling vox/synth to the downright awful guitar outro

THE NUMBERS ***** Jonny's Codex part was obv a big influence on this record. this is the album summed up on one song. white album ambience

PRESENT TENSE ***** classic song. welcome to France where we store our vinyls in the walls.

TINKER TAILER BLOODY LONG SONG TITLE **** no space to review. title too long

TRUE LOVE WAITS ****** excuse me. something in my eye

2nd side wrecks the 1st (again... though TKOL's 1st side ended up being the most rewarding in the end imo). can't believe they released a 53 minute album (with some obvious contenders to cut?!). doesn't feel like a followup to the last record like they usually do... feels like alternate universe Radiohead now, the path after In Rainbows was split and this is one road, TKOL was another or something

nice prelim review but also fuck you penny, your face is a downright awful guitar outro

This álbum is fucking exquisite.

I've seen that most people have mentioned Ful Stop in particular. What a stunning track. Left me as impressed as Paranóid Android, Pyramid Song, or There There did on first listen.

Also: Thom's voice in the new TLW was too much :icon_cry: Can't believe this band is still capable of doing these things.

I was always really worried about them trampling over Present Tense, so the fact that we ended up with a somewhat Latin sounding version is hilarious to me.

And it works, too. Weirdly.

it was always a pretty latin sounding chord progression though. i just thought they'd achieve this with a drumkit instead bongos or whatever the hell they're using.

Did anyone else purchase the .WAV version of the album, and notice on Track #3, (Decks Dark)... there is a small glitch in Thom's vocals between 0:20-0:21??  Or do you think that is just the way they mastered the album?? 

This also happens on Daydreaming between 6:06-6:08??

I'm really hoping it was intentional because I can only download the .WAV two more times..

Thanks!